This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How should I identify myself?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boobanation

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was born in North Africa and I am a US citizen. Yes, I know, most people in North Africa are considered white by the US census bureau.

However, from my sociocultural perspective, I have ALWAYS considered myself to be African. In fact, the concept of race is pretty much non-existent outside of America. There is however a distinction between continents: hence, i cannot identify as european, I am african.
During the holidays, when traveling to Europe, I have faced discrimination based on the way that I look (my race) and the way that I behave (my ethnicity). I could never identify solely as white, because there is a clear cultural and racial difference between european whites and what would be "my kind of white."

I understand however that it is weird for me to call myself african-american, although i am proud to be African and proud to be an American citizen. In fact, I do not identify with the black culture in america, it is completely different from the culture that I grew up in. However, i would say that black american culture is as far from my culture as white american culture is.

In the case that I choose to live in America to practice medicine, i will most likely not practice in a minority neighbourhood (which would be the primary goal of the positive discrimination for URMs), and I will most likely practice in a very globalised city, such as New York, Miami, or D.C, in which I feel more comfortable.

In my last year of high school in north Africa, I have applied to college identifying as African American. But in college, I have been told by African Americans students that it was immoral of me to call myself African American, but I was also told by white european students that I was clearly distinct from them, and that I should not lie in my application by putting white. People who do not know me think I am hispanic when they see me for the first time, but I do not speak Spanish fluently or identify with the hispanic culture at all.

I was thinking about identifying myself as both AA and white to erase any kind of confusion or belief that I am trying to game the system. Checking only 'white' would make me feel like I am lying in my application, and I understand that for some people my identification as only 'AA' could be upsetting.
If in any way I could identify solely as AA and notify the Adcoms that I am not URM, I would do that.

What do you guys think I should do for race, and for ethnicity? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is a perfect answer and I agree that the race and ethnicity labels and boxes in America have done nothing but cause confusion and upset. As I read your post two things stand out.......you were born and lived in another country at least til high school.......and you are now an American citizen. Would it feel right to you to say you're *insert North African country* American? For example, Libyan American or Egyptian American or what have you. That way you are acknowledging your upbringing in North Africa and your American citizenship without saying you're URM. My understanding of URM is that it generally refers to racial groups, not ethnic groups. So if a school asked if you consider yourself URM you could say no if that feels right to you.

Reactions: 1 user
African American is designated for black descendants of slaves in America.

Black Americans may refer to people that include African Americans but also those who consider themselves black but may be from different countries or backgrounds than African Americans. (Haitian, Nigerian, Cuban...).

People living in America directly from Africa refer to themselves by country. Nigerian, South African. First generation descendants born in America may refer to themselves as Nigerian-American, Kenyan-American.

You are a US citizen and you perhaps can consider yourself whatever you are classified in your country of origin either ethnicity or race wise (Arabic, Tunisian, "Other" etc).

URM has no strict racial definition currently. It refers to people that are not represented in medicine in comparison with their numbers in the general population.

"Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups."

You are not African American; perhaps you consider yourself black but it doesn't sound like that from your post.

"In fact, the concept of race is pretty much non-existent outside of America."

Well that is certainly not true... But maybe for you in your specific country

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
African American is designated for black descendants of slaves in America.

Black Americans may refer to people that include African Americans but also those who consider themselves black but may be from different countries or backgrounds than African Americans. (Haitian, Nigerian, Cuban...).

People living in America directly from Africa refer to themselves by country. Nigerian, South African. First generation descendants born in America may refer to themselves as Nigerian-American, Kenyan-American.

You are a US citizen and you perhaps can consider yourself whatever you are classified in your country of origin either ethnicity or race wise (Arabic, Tunisian, "Other" etc).

URM has no strict racial definition currently. It refers to people that are not represented in medicine in comparison with their numbers in the general population.

"Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups."

You are not African American; perhaps you consider yourself black but it doesn't sound like that from your post.

"In fact, the concept of race is pretty much non-existent outside of America."

Well that is certainly not true... But maybe for you in your specific country

Hello 24blue8, correct me if i am wrong, but you seem pretty aggressive in your reply. I am sorry to offend you, I am here on SDN asking this question primarily in order not to offend anyone.

I am not black by blacks standards, and not white by whites standards. I am african, and not european. I am american. --> Those three statements are factual.

Multiple diversity programs aimed at premed students (some of which I have participated in) have specifically written in their application forms: "Black or African American (Including Africa and the Caribbean)". Multiple summer research programs from California, Florida, and New York schools present such a form in their application.

America is in fact the only country in the world that uses racial classification of its citizens at a governmental level. It is both good and bad for different reasons. Let's not enter this topic however, as it a vastly different although interesting conversation.

Thank you for clarifying that "URM has no strict racial definition currently." This comforts me in the idea that I can identify myself as AA without claiming URM status. Claiming URM status is outrageous for those who are not a part of the group, I agree. However, I cannot change what would be assumed by ADCOMs by providing my racial/ethnical self-identification.

I don’t think you would be considered black for medical school purposes. But I suggest you ask Admissions persons this question to gauge what their opinion is. It’s better to do that rather than claim that you’re black and overplay your hand because you think being a URM would give you an advantage in the application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not offended; I was typing my statement to be clear and without consideration of your Pan African passion because that is obviously personal for you. It sounds like you came online to be reassured as you have doubt and didn't like the answers you received earlier. That's fair.

Do you call yourself "African American" when you are in your country of birth?

You are not African American by the definition as it is used in America. It is for descendants of black American slaves. Which you are not. I don't know what "black standards" or "white standards" are. If you consider yourself either you would be on paperwork in America, for example, Libyan or Algerian, race: black, or mixed or other. I don't agree with people trying to define others but in this instance you are clearly not "African American" and the fact you are insistent upon it because you are from the continent of Africa further confirms how much you are not African American as you have no understanding of it. Filling in "African American" then notifying admissions you are not underrepresented makes zero sense because African Americans are underrepresented in medicine in America. If anything it will highlight, and not in a great way, that you have difficulty with American culture and nuances because you refer to yourself as "African-American".

It's unclear as to why you won't name your country of origin as that is how most immigrants refer to themselves (myself included) in addition to race, if necessary, in American classification systems. Identity is fluid and can change as we move from place to place but what you're attempting is a stretch.

I've lived on 3 different continents, filled in government paperwork in different countries and languages and yes, other governments also use racial classifications. We must travel in different circles. (Hello South Africa...?)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone!

I was born in North Africa and I am a US citizen. Yes, I know, most people in North Africa are considered white by the US census bureau.

However, from my sociocultural perspective, I have ALWAYS considered myself to be African. In fact, the concept of race is pretty much non-existent outside of America. There is however a distinction between continents: hence, i cannot identify as european, I am african.
During the holidays, when traveling to Europe, I have faced discrimination based on the way that I look (my race) and the way that I behave (my ethnicity). I could never identify solely as white, because there is a clear cultural and racial difference between european whites and what would be "my kind of white."

I understand however that it is weird for me to call myself african-american, although i am proud to be African and proud to be an American citizen. In fact, I do not identify with the black culture in america, it is completely different from the culture that I grew up in. However, i would say that black american culture is as far from my culture as white american culture is.

In the case that I choose to live in America to practice medicine, i will most likely not practice in a minority neighbourhood (which would be the primary goal of the positive discrimination for URMs), and I will most likely practice in a very globalised city, such as New York, Miami, or D.C, in which I feel more comfortable.

In my last year of high school in north Africa, I have applied to college identifying as African American. But in college, I have been told by African Americans students that it was immoral of me to call myself African American, but I was also told by white european students that I was clearly distinct from them, and that I should not lie in my application by putting white. People who do not know me think I am hispanic when they see me for the first time, but I do not speak Spanish fluently or identify with the hispanic culture at all.

I was thinking about identifying myself as both AA and white to erase any kind of confusion or belief that I am trying to game the system. Checking only 'white' would make me feel like I am lying in my application, and I understand that for some people my identification as only 'AA' could be upsetting.
If in any way I could identify solely as AA and notify the Adcoms that I am not URM, I would do that.

What do you guys think I should do for race, and for ethnicity? Thanks.

Hate to break it to you man, but you're white.

You've posted this question before and got the same response. URM status for African Americans is if you're black. Putting African American and White would be seen as you have one black parent and one white parent. There is such a thing as white Africans and that is what you are. You can talk about your upbringing and your culture in your personal statement or secondaries as it is still very interesting. But you are white, not black, not African American.

AAMCs previous definition of URM used “black” not “African American.” If you’re “black” it seems you’d still be URM. President Obama is universally called “black” and “African American” even though he’s half white and half Kenyan.

“African-American” has a variety of intrpretations and is not necessarily reserved for descendants of slaves, although that is one definition. Geography certainly makes more sense to me than historical events. Is “Asian-American” only limited to those who arrived in America under certain circumstances or an umbrella term denoting origin?

Last edited: