am I working too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well if the goal is to retire very young (40 ish) than sure, kill yourself, but do it someplace where you are rewarded for the work. At my place you'd make 700-$800k with that schedule.
The people I know who work this hard make around 700. And that's a low unit value of somewhere in the 30's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OP which hospital is it tsk tsk tsk :/

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate in medical school probably fits this description, only slept 2-3 hours a night from like 3-6 AM and would stay up doing odd jobs for cash (reviewing resumes, helping with online MCAT prep, and some other things I can't remember). Seems like he'd cram in 2-3 days in a row of non-stop studying all day and night when it came time for finals or Step 1 (he wasn't exactly quiet...). I always wondered if he was heading for burnout land.

That sounds insane. Once you reach the age of about 35 I don't see how your brain can function at an optimal level with that little sleep on a daily basis, especially for a demanding specialty like anesthesiology.

You couldn't pay me enough to work/live in NYC. Insane cost of living, crappy apartments, ugly people, dangerous subway, traffic anywhere and anytime, stupid pedestrians who can't understand what a "Don't Walk" sign means, taxis that never get cleaned, dog poop everywhere, the world's crappiest highways, zero parking, gargantuan pizza slices and bagels that you can't get into your mouth, boiling in the summer, freezing in the winter, bed bugs, obnoxious sports fans, etc.

I truly believe people who live there have to dupe themselves into thinking "The City" is the greatest place on earth, otherwise they'd cry themselves to sleep every night for being such suckers.

Reactions: 7 users
You couldn't pay me enough to work/live in NYC. Insane cost of living, crappy apartments, ugly people, dangerous subway, traffic anywhere and anytime, stupid pedestrians who can't understand what a "Don't Walk" sign means, taxis that never get cleaned, dog poop everywhere, the world's crappiest highways, zero parking, gargantuan pizza slices and bagels that you can't get into your mouth, boiling in the summer, freezing in the winter, bed bugs, obnoxious sports fans, etc.

I truly believe people who live there have to dupe themselves into thinking "The City" is the greatest place on earth, otherwise they'd cry themselves to sleep every night for being such suckers.

I lived in Manhattan as a med student and intern and I enjoyed it very much. One of the keys to happiness there is not driving or owning a car. Different lifestyle.

What I did not enjoy was the over self importance and formality of the medical culture there. People were more intense than they needed to be. No one ever joked around. The people at the diners and bars were a lot more fun.

Douglas Adams had something to say about New York City ...

Mostly Harmless said:
One of the extraordinary things about life is the sort of places
it's prepared to put up with living. Anywhere it can get some
kind of a grip, whether it's the intoxicating seas of Santraginus
V, where the fish never seem to care whatever the heck kind
of direction they swim in, the fire storms of Frastra where, they
say, life begins at 40,000 degrees, or just burrowing around in
the lower intestine of a rat for the sheer unadulterated hell of
it, life will always find a way of hanging on in somewhere.

It will even live in New York, though it's hard to know why.
In the winter time the temperature falls well below the legal
minimum, or rather it would do if anybody had the common
sense to set a legal minimum. The last time anybody made a
list of the top hundred character attributes of New Yorkers,
common sense snuck in at number 79.

In the summer it's too darn hot. It's one thing to be the sort
of life form that thrives on heat and finds, as the Frastrans do,
that the temperature range between 40,000 and 40,004 is very
equable, but it's quite another to be the sort of animal that has
to wrap itself up in lots of other animals at one point in your
planet's orbit, and then find, half an orbit later, that your skin's
bubbling.

Spring is over-rated. A lot of the inhabitants of New York
will honk on mightily about the pleasures of spring, but if they
actually knew the first thing about the pleasures of spring they
would know of at least five thousand nine hundred and eighty-
three better places to spend it than New York, and that's just
on the same latitude.

Fall, though, is the worst. Few things are worse than fall in
New York. Some of the things that live in the lower intestines of
rats would disagree, but most of the things that live in the lower
intestines of rats are highly disagreeable anyway, so their opinion
can and should be discounted. When it's fall in New York, the air
smells as if someone's been frying goats in it, and if you are keen
to breathe, the best plan is to open a window and stick your head
in a building.

Reactions: 2 users
You couldn't pay me enough to work/live in NYC . Insane cost of living (True), crappy apartments (Not always), ugly people(False) , dangerous subway (even more False), traffic anywhere and anytime (real NYers down own cars), stupid pedestrians who can't understand what a "Don't Walk" sign means (what?), taxis that never get cleaned (Uber/Lyft), dog poop everywhere (have you been to France?), the world's crappiest highways (see above), zero parking (see above), gargantuan pizza slices and bagels that you can't get into your mouth (that's a positive), boiling in the summer (*insert "The South" here*, freezing in the winter (ie, most of the US in winter), bed bugs (some places), obnoxious sports fans (like 99% of fan bases), etc.

All the people who have the worst to say about living in NY, never actually lived there. For every bad day I had in NY, I had about 8-10 amazing days. Is it worth working 80 hrs as and attending and not getting properly paid for it, probably not, but if I had my current salary in NYC I'd be very happy, and I could own on the Upper West Side / Brooklyn. NO OTHER CITY COMPARES......except maybe London or Paris and then we'd have a good discussion.

All the people who have the worst to say about living in NY, never actually lived there. For every bad day I had in NY, I had about 8-10 amazing days. Is it worth working 80 hrs as and attending and not getting properly paid for it, probably not, but if I had my current salary in NYC I'd be very happy, and I could own on the Upper West Side / Brooklyn. NO OTHER CITY COMPARES......except maybe London or Paris and then we'd have a good discussion.
Seriously? Maybe as a minority, but otherwise please don't compare New York ****ty to Europe. :p

I don't live in NYC, but it is definitely my favorite city. There is one sure thing about NYC...everyone has an opinion about it whether or not they've ever actually spent any significant time there. People spend a weekend walking around Times Square and think they know New York.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
8 calls a month is worth ~200k/yr alone at a lot of places, sometimes more.
Let that simmer.
Then add working your post call day.
And 70-80 hours.
Then the L1 trauma team...
I hope you're doing all your own cases because if you're covering 3-4 CRNAs, or even 2 residents you should be up around the 7 figure mark.
You're doing about 2 FTE.
I make almost that much at ~50 hours/wk (often less), with about 1 call a month and doing my own cases often.
And in a desirable city.
You're making someone very rich. It might as well be you.
There are lots of cash cow work hard play harder jobs out there. If I were you, I'd be looking for one.
Or just get a better normal job.
Hell, mommy track jobs in my area pay ~300 with benefits for 7-3.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 5 users

The people who love NYC tend to have grown up there or somewhere on the east coast. Of course you can find exceptions, but most of the people I know who have lived many years in NYC and other "top 25" U.S. cities admit how much better it is to live somewhere less crowded, less expensive, with better weather, exponentially better pay and similar "cultural" opportunities/food.

The exception are the big-time law partners and i-bankers because they likely could not make their 5-10+ mill/yr elsewhere.

Doctors take a huge pay cut in exchange for crappy weather and crowds. Not a big deal if you are single/young/still in training but a huge consideration as you build wealth and raise a family. If you are going to do that at least do LA/san fran so you can cut the weather part out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't live in NYC, but it is definitely my favorite city. There is one sure thing about NYC...everyone has an opinion about it whether or not they've ever actually spent any significant time there. People spend a weekend walking around Times Square and think they know New York.

So true. The New York people "stereotype" is between 34th and 59th and Broadway and 7th Ave. That's NOT real NYC. But again, even I moved because I need to right salary for NYC and the OP doesn't have that salary.

And yes @FFP having taken several trips to Europe lately, many places in Europe can't compare....except for many apt size.

Anyway....sum up this thread......OP....get a new job or move.

So true. The New York people "stereotype" is between 34th and 59th and Broadway and 7th Ave. That's NOT real NYC. But again, even I moved because I need to right salary for NYC and the OP doesn't have that salary.

And yes @FFP having taken several trips to Europe lately, many places in Europe can't compare....except for many apt size.

Anyway....sum up this thread......OP....get a new job or move.
I am sorry, but New York is to European capitals (and other cities) as kitsch is to good taste. No offense.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's so crowded I feel like in some overpopulated Asian city. It's pretty ugly. Even the parts that are considered beautiful are somewhat unattractive to me, and I have visited Manhattan many times. I actually prefer Boston, Philadelphia or DC to it anytime. If Quebec City were 15-20 times bigger and in the US, that's where I would love to live.

Yes, for Americans, it's a big deal, because few of our cities come close to its size and activity level. But while it may be interesting for the occasional tourist, it's anything but beautiful (for the most part), or a good place to live. Overcrowded, overpriced, overrated. And I haven't mentioned the best part of the city (and metropolitan area), the New Yorkers, pure Minnesota nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never lived there. Went there once and hated it. Never been back. I remember nothing but noise, buildings, too many people stuffing themselves in the subway, and hardly anyone smiling and saying hi ( I grew up in the south). I went it the summer and it was pretty hot and I grew up in Texas. And that place freezes in the winter.

But again, I am more a country girl, living within 45 minutes from a city not in the East Coast.
However, people there may not be ugly (lol), but why the hell are they so rude? I have lived in the East Coast, and people aren't nice.
How much does an apartment in the Upper East Side cost anyway?

Hmm, a studio for Half Mil, a 1 Bedroom for 900K, a 2 Bedroom for 1.5 Mil, a 3 bedroom for 2 Mil. And I am sure those come with parking spots that are like hundreds of dollars a month, and crazy condo fees.

Why anyone would want to pay those insane prices is beyond me. For Half a Mil in Texas I would be living very well. In a McMansion.
But again, I am a country girl who prefers peace and space.

NYC is not worth the cost to live there, it's a nice place to visit once in a while if you have a good reason. But I can't point fingers, I live in LA which comes with it's own limitations.

Never lived there. Went there once and hated it. Never been back. I remember nothing but noise, buildings, too many people stuffing themselves in the subway, and hardly anyone smiling and saying hi ( I grew up in the south). I went it the summer and it was pretty hot and I grew up in Texas. And that place freezes in the winter.

But again, I am more a country girl, living within 45 minutes from a city not in the East Coast.
However, people there may not be ugly (lol), but why the hell are they so rude? I have lived in the East Coast, and people aren't nice.
How much does an apartment in the Upper East Side cost anyway?

Hmm, a studio for Half Mil, a 1 Bedroom for 900K, a 2 Bedroom for 1.5 Mil, a 3 bedroom for 2 Mil. And I am sure those come with parking spots that are like hundreds of dollars a month, and crazy condo fees.

Why anyone would want to pay those insane prices is beyond me. For Half a Mil in Texas I would be living very well. In a McMansion.
But again, I am a country girl who prefers peace and space.

It's around 1m per bedroom in UES.

You know it's a good taco shop when there's at least a 1/4" thick layer of grime covering the desk fan they have bolted upside down to the ceiling in the corner.

Eastcoast vs Westcoast Round 2:.....Begin!

The beach is on the wrong side.
In ye olden days, one could take a weekend trip to Baja without getting your head chopped off and do sunrise on the Sea of Cortez and sunset on the Pacific.

Same days when a 19 year old could go to bars in Tijuana and not risk dying.

Mid Atlantic beaches make me sad.

In ye olden days, one could take a weekend trip to Baja without getting your head chopped off and do sunrise on the Sea of Cortez and sunset on the Pacific.

Same days when a 19 year old could go to bars in Tijuana and not risk dying.

Mid Atlantic beaches make me sad.

Your beaches are prettier. Do like the wine country a lot. And the climate of San Fransisco area a lot. And the produce... Oh, fudge.

Your beaches are prettier. Do like the wine country a lot. And the climate of San Fransisco area a lot. And the produce... Oh, fudge.

You know the weather where you live is total crap when you say you really like the weather in San Fran. :lol:

But the ocean is chilly. Must be all the New Yorkers in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know the weather where you live is total crap when you say you really like the weather in San Fran. :lol:
the city of SF and it's cooler weather is pretty much unique to itself due to the geography. And SF is actually a small city land-wise. The weather in the rest of the huge region which is the SF Bay Area (from Marin County to most of the peninsula to Oakland/Berkeley/rest of East Bay to the South Bay and Silicon Valley) is pretty much close to perfect. Only place with better weather is SD.

the city of SF and it's cooler weather is pretty much unique to itself due to the geography. And SF is actually a small city land-wise. The weather in the rest of the huge region which is the SF Bay Area (from Marin County to most of the peninsula to Oakland/Berkeley/rest of East Bay to the South Bay and Silicon Valley) is pretty much close to perfect. Only place with better weather is SD.

Not just SD, but all of coastal SoCal from Point Conception to the border is better than the Bay Area.

I live in the southeast but if I had to pick based only on location (and not get my salary cut in half) I'd definitely be in California. Or better yet even Denver since beaches aren't really my thing. Northeast would be dead last on my list.

bJhXJnI.jpg

PEiMf1L.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Those are all insanely accurate, except the one for New York where it says "black people" for Harlem is more and more becoming "young white people who cant afford downtown" and in Chelsea where it says "gays" you can now write "tech nerds"

love the different types of rich people. MEGA rich people. haha
it's true. UWS rich isn't the same as UES rich which isn't that same as Tribeca rich.....but they're all still rich

Doctors......the ones with families are in New Jersey or Westchester County.

I live in the southeast but if I had to pick based only on location (and not get my salary cut in half) I'd definitely be in California. Or better yet even Denver since beaches aren't really my thing. Northeast would be dead last on my list.

I'm a coastal SoCal native, and I'd be in Bend, OR right now if they had been hiring when I finished residency.

Me too. I'm a Gaucho. But the COL is just plain stupid up there even by CA standards.