AMA membership for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are residents/attendings physicians who have AMA membership who could tell me if it's worth it to fork over the $45 a year for membership (or $160 for four years). My med school and the CMA paid for all four years of AMA membership for us as med students. I haven't really used them much for anything, but thought it might me more useful as a resident.

I already belong to AMSA (and apparently AMSA become free for residents) so I already have the great GEICO car insurance discount. But I heard about some discounts with PacBell DSL, etc... (Allopathic Forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=75137&highlight=AMA+membership)

Anyone found an AMA membership useful as a resident?

Members don't see this ad.

The only time I've thought it could be useful was when I had to submit an AMA Physician profile for a full license in Massachusetts. It would have been free if I were an AMA member. Since I am not it would cost me $20. I get a complimentary subscription to JAMA since it allows them to drive up their advertising fees so I don't really have a use for the rest of their "services".

Get a AAA membership, much more useful.

I was under the impression that many residency programs pay professional societ memberships (esp AMA) so their stats look good....though this is sometime debated by people who'd rather not be a member of a particular society. Someone feel free to correct me.

thanks for the replies. i guess i'll just wait and see if my program will pay for it. otherwise, i'll just pass for now.

AMA Membership is something that I think you should join for more than the discounts. The AMA is an organization that provides you a forum for discussion and advocacy for you, your profession, and your patients. It continues to be the top health care lobbying group in the country both in influence and in dollars spent.

You will get benefits such as car ins. discounts, journals, etc. but to me, the value has always been in knowing that I am supporting and participating in a process that gets the profession's voice heard. Also, the networking at the local and national levels have been invaluable. The people I have met, have often provided me excellent advice, insight, and friendship. Currently, I am applying to fellowship, and getting the inside scoop has been as simple as picking up the phone in a lot of cases.

As a resident 45/yr is not a lot IMHO for those benefits. You also should consider your specialty organizations, as they provide excellent meetings as well and will be things that you will probably want to be a member of during your career.

So how can we find out the benifits of AMA.. I have not used them and would like to know if it is worth keeping the membership.

Thanks
Peg :cool:

Keep in mind that supporting the AMA is important in maintaining an effective
political influence. Only 20-30% of physicians are members and they do not donate enough money. In contrast, lawyers donate about $1000 per year each to the trial attorney's association. This poses a problem for enacting physician liability reform.

Also, the AMA prevents mid-level practitioners from expanding their scope of practice e.g. clinical psychologists, nurse anesthetists, optometrists, etc.

They also fight to keep medicare reimbursements at least stable.

These are important reasons to support the AMA. :thumbup:

Some of the benefits listed
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/11997.html

Travel for less with up to 20% off on Hertz car rentals, and free Hertz #1 Gold Club Membership for frequent renters!

Save on shipping with FedEx delivery service discounts.

In the market for a Dell Dimension desktop, Inspiron notebook or other Dell products? Be sure to get your AMA discount!

Save on hundreds of featured IBM products for your home or office.

Get your investments in order with priority access and a 20% discount on Charles Schwab financial planning and investment services.