AMA - NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alaskan _Polarbear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently attending NYU feel free to ask me anything about NYU related or dental school admissions in general !

Members don't see this ad.

I have always thought of NYU as an interesting dental program, so I have some questions.

Why did you decide on NYU?
Do you see any reason NYU decides to let in 375+ people to their program every year, and does having this many students affect the education in any way?

Last edited:
What are your total expected expenses for the school year and how much loans did you take out?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^basically all the back handed questions

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Are you from NY? If not. Did you have any issues coping with the CONSTANT BACKGROUND NOISE and CROWDS? I mean if you originated from any area that was RURAL ... then living and going to school in NY could be a shock to the system.

Reactions: 1 user
I have always thought of NYU as an interesting dental program, so I have some questions.

Why did you decide on NYU?
Do you see any reason NYU decides to let in 375+ people to their program every year, and does having this many students affect the education in any way?

I decided NYU because I'm from NY and I am commuting. I was accepted to other out of state colleges and Buffalo and i did the cost and NYU ended up being around a bit more than the other schools if I were to live in another state/county. In the end I wanted to stay close with my family and chose NYU for that reason.

Honestly it's a money move for NYU to let in 375+ people. I mean they definitely have the room to have that many people, the clinical labs and hospital are quite big. And they don't let in more than 375 people. Last year class was 360 i think and this year class is around 365.

It doesn't really affect the students its more of like attending high school. So the class is 360+ people. But we are divided into group practices that only have around 20-30 people. Your group practice is like your high school class that you will have the same classes with. Of course this doesn't mean you only hang out with your group practice, we are just broken into groups to make labs easier.

Reactions: 2 users
What are your total expected expenses for the school year and how much loans did you take out?

I am not dorming like most of the students. I say around 1/3 are commuters and the rest will rent an apartment somewhere. Because I am not renting an apartment and I am living at home, after the 4 years at NYU my total is around 380-400k if NYU doesn't raise tuition. Tuition alone is around 86k and if you add in NYU rent thats an extra 30-40k and that doesn't include food.

My outside cost because I am commuting is probably 5k (yearly) for monthly metros.

Honestly price wise if you are not commuting I really don't think NYU is worth it. I only chose NYU from the other acceptances I got because NYU when i commuted was roughly the same price (give or take 20k). I rather not be 600k in debt like some of the other students in the class. But if you have the money and don't care then go for NYU if that's your dream school. But if you're like me and don't come from money or even middle class, choose the school that is in state for you and if not the cheapest.

Last edited:
Are you from NY? If not. Did you have any issues coping with the CONSTANT BACKGROUND NOISE and CROWDS? I mean if you originated from any area that was RURAL ... then living and going to school in NY could be a shock to the system.

I from NYC specifically Queens. I don't think it's as noisy as you think it might be? It is definitely noisy depending on where you live. If you live smack in the middle of manhattan say like herald square or around chinatown it's going to be loud just because those are roads that can lead to tunnels. But around the school were students live the blocks are usually one way blocks so not that many cars will go by. If you live near the school hospital you will definitely be hearing ambulances more often.

As for crowds if things get back to normal after COVID gets controlled then I guess you can say its crowded depending on the time of day. Rush hour 8am and 5pm trains will be dumb packed like touching shoulder to shoulder. But any other time in between trains aren't really crowded. As for streets it also depends where you are. Manhattan isn't always crowded on weekdays but weekends and after 8pm it can get crowded for drinks and hangouts.

If you live really rural NYC might be a shock because you are constantly surrounded by people but its not terrible. Just avoid time square LOL it's always crowded and there's nothing to do but shop at stores you can find on like hearld square or lexington ave.

Just be careful of some areas in manhattan that at night tend to be more dangerous. The thing about manhattan is that one block can be considered "safe" and then you walk one block over and its considered "dangerous"

NYC is easy to navigate tho because its on a grid system: so for example if your at 5th ave and west 34th street and you want to go to 7th ave and 36 street you just have to walk 2 aves up and then 2 blocks to the right.

I swear I’m not being cheeky lol, I think NYU produces very well rounded practitioners, my old NYU dentist was one of the best dentists I had, but I have a budget and know how deep I am and am just curious to compare it.

I think you can look up the price of NYU. That's what I did before I accepted and i say its relatively accurate but with COVID i don't know if things will increase in general at all dental schools. I will pay BEFORE interest around 400k and if you look at other schools for example buffalo was 380k for me (I'm in state keep in mind) and New England was also around 380k I believe.

BUT if you are not going to commute you will end up having 600k in loans BEFORE interest.

You can attend NYU but afford living in the city where rent alone is around 1500-2500 and that's when you have 2-3 roommates. But I know areas in Queens and Brooklyn where with rent and 2-3 roomates you pay around 500-800 a month. It all depends on what your budget is.

Also if your like me and don't have a car because you have always used the metro you're going to need to add on to the amount you're going to take out in loans to get a car and maintain a car.

Also for loans I wouldn't be too worried. If you're not an international student and you fill out the FAFSA form, your school will offer you loans that cover the cost. It will be all government loans and interest starts the day you take out the loan. You can message me if you have specific questions on loans or ask here !

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm already a dental student, so I'm not really looking for advice on school prices. I was just curious on loans, even if you were from Texas A&M, I'd ask the same question.

You said that you'll be paying 400k before interest and no rent, which fits with the NYU expected cost of attendance at 99k (86k tuition, 6k tuition fees, 3k school fees, and 3k loan origination fees), but my question was how much are you going to spend for the year on food, social, bills, rent, etc. Did you take out loans for these or are you using savings? Or are you planning to bring lunch, not go on social events, etc? Since you said you're not commuting, that will really help you out in the long run.

I am definitely meal prepping just because i like to cook. I have money saved for transportation and food and because I live with my family I will not be paying any rent or bills. As of now because of COVID there are no social events LOL but when things get back to normal I plan to join jobs and attend out reach programs. So if you want a rough estimate it's probably going to be 20k for 4 years for transportation give or take, and then food honestly varies but I meal prep and shop at costco so I spend may around $60 a week on making 3x a day meals. And for socialization I was never a big drinker but I do love to eat so I usually put aside around $200 a month in case I want to go out.

Just because one is commuting I don't think it means you cant make friends or you'll have a harder time. The really only hard part about commuting is that if you have a large gap you can't go home at take a nap and the train rides are going to suck some times.

I just want to clarify that the cost of buffalo is no way near $380k unless you decided to buy a fancy car or live in luxury apartment. My 4 year total cost is about $220k and I am a 4th year.

Reactions: 3 users
I just want to clarify that the cost of buffalo is no way near $380k unless you decided to buy a fancy car or live in luxury apartment. My 4 year total cost is about $220k and I am a 4th year.

How did you get your tuition that low? I calculated around 300k for mine including living/food, which is pretty close to what BU has up on the website. It's still better than NYU at 500k though.

can confirm. didn't sleep for 4 years in midtown

Members don't see this ad :)
How stressful are classes and workload being a ranked school? I’ve heard so many rumors it’s easy to fail out or remediate.

How stressful are classes and workload being a ranked school? I’ve heard so many rumors it’s easy to fail out or remediate.

NYU way of classes is that they give you like 4/5 that last anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks

it's easy to fail if you dont study everyday and cram or if you spend every weekend partying.

We finished so far courses like anatomy, cellular biology, biochemistry and are taking currently 2 more anatomy courses and another cellular course

It's easy to pass if that's your goal but to really get good grades you need to study. 50 percentile gpa is around a 3.4 to 3.5 so that's like straight Bs

It's easy to pass if that's your goal but to really get good grades you need to study. 50 percentile gpa is around a 3.4 to 3.5 so that's like straight Bs
Straight Bs would be 3.0. 3.5 is more like 50% As and 50% Bs. 50th percentile is 3.4-5? That's pretty high.

Reactions: 1 users
Straight Bs would be 3.0. 3.5 is more like 50% As and 50% Bs. 50th percentile is 3.4-5? That's pretty high.

Nah I’d say it’s prob around a 3.2-3.3. These are the stats I have on NYU. Honestly pretty standard.

GPA percentiles of Class of 2020:

Top 10% is >= 3.862

Top 20% is 3.703-3.861

Top 40% is 3.416-3.639

Most classes are pretty stressful but I don’t have anything to compare it with. I would say maybe 3-4x undergrad? I feel like I’m studying 60-70 hours a week. If any other schools students can compare, that’d be nice.

I just finished our first block and am onto our second. Our first semester had like 7-8 classes in about 1.5 months: Cell Bio, Embryology, Biochemistry, Health promotion, Ethics, Practice of dentistry, and a few meaningless pass fail courses.

Our second block just started and has about the same amount for 2 months: head and neck anatomy with lab, dental anatomy and occlusion with lab, Histology, Radiology, Pediatric dentistry, and continued practice of dentistry and health promo.

Most classes are extremely fast paced, but I imagine that most dental school courses are the same. Students seem to be averaging a B+ (3.3) which is pretty consistent with my previous post of the class of 2020 median being a 3.3.

However certain courses were just flat out stupid. Our infamous biochem class was self taught with modules and it took maybe 15 hours a week just to get through it for the first time. This is before reviewing the material. I’m not even kidding. This is on top of another 5 classes. These modules are full of errors and when a couple of students emailed regarding these errors, they basically told us that they were wrong. Our embryo course was 1 credit and it legit felt like my undergrad 4 credit science courses. Dental anatomy, we went thru pretty much all the structures in like 3 classes, but at least it looks like it’s finally starting to slow down.

In the next block or two, we will have Pathology, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Microbiology. These courses are usually D2 courses at other colleges but we are taking them in our D1... this’ll be fun.

On the positive note, a lot of our lecturers are actually amazing. It feels like most of the lecturers actually care about what they teach and do so pretty well. For some lecturers, sometimes we forget how great they are. We think they are normal and then they say “and that’s when I found children’s dental health project.”

Back to the negatives, the administration can go to hell. We don’t have a governing body to actually help students. Basically any complaints you have will fall in deaf ears. We were supposed to get typodonts, and we still haven’t, and we’re already done with learning teeth. They’re also not refunding our 6k of instrument fees even though we’re not on site...

And the last negative: we only get 5 weeks off a year after D1. 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 for spring break, and 2 for summer and that’s it??? That seems waaaay too little. Can other students share their break schedule?

Last edited:
Most classes are pretty stressful but I don’t have anything to compare it with. I would say maybe 3-4x undergrad? I feel like I’m studying 60-70 hours a week. If any other schools students can compare, that’d be nice.

I just finished our first block and am onto our second. Our first semester had like 7-8 classes in about 1.5 months: Cell Bio, Embryology, Biochemistry, Health promotion, Ethics, Practice of dentistry, and a few meaningless pass fail courses.

Our second block just started and has about the same amount for 2 months: head and neck anatomy with lab, dental anatomy and occlusion with lab, Histology, Radiology, Pediatric dentistry, and continued practice of dentistry and health promo.

Most classes are extremely fast paced, but I imagine that most dental school courses are the same. Students seem to be averaging a B+ (3.3) which is pretty consistent with my previous post of the class of 2020 median being a 3.3.

However certain courses were just flat out stupid. Our infamous biochem class was self taught with modules and it took maybe 15 hours a week just to get through it for the first time. This is before reviewing the material. I’m not even kidding. This is on top of another 5 classes. These modules are full of errors and when a couple of students emailed regarding these errors, they basically told us that they were wrong. Our embryo course was 1 credit and it legit felt like my undergrad 4 credit science courses. Dental anatomy, we went thru pretty much all the structures in like 3 classes, but at least it looks like it’s finally starting to slow down.

In the next block or two, we will have Pathology, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Microbiology. These courses are usually D2 courses at other colleges but we are taking them in our D1... this’ll be fun.

On the positive note, a lot of our lecturers are actually amazing. It feels like most of the lecturers actually care about what they teach and do so pretty well. For some lecturers, sometimes we forget how great they are. We think they are normal and then they say “and that’s when I found children’s dental health project.”

Back to the negatives, the administration can go to hell. We don’t have a governing body to actually help students. Basically any complaints you have will fall in deaf ears. We were supposed to get typodonts, and we still haven’t, and we’re already done with learning teeth. They’re also not refunding our 6k of instrument fees even though we’re not on site...

And the last negative: we only get 5 weeks off a year after D1. 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 for spring break, and 2 for summer and that’s it??? That seems waaaay too little. Can other students share their break schedule?

I don’t think 5 weeks per year is that abnormal. My school is the same way. Also you guys haven’t started any typodont work? Is that pretty normal to not start until D2? We started operative dentistry the first week of D1

I don’t think 5 weeks per year is that abnormal. My school is the same way. Also you guys haven’t started any typodont work? Is that pretty normal to not start until D2? We started operative dentistry the first week of D1

That's interesting. I was talking to a few of my peers that went to other dental schools and it seems like they all have between 6-12 weeks of break per year.

As for typodont work, D1s have not been to lab yet due to the pandemic. I am sure that if it were normal, D1s would have started already as well.

I recently took my DAT 18AA,19TS, 18PAT, but a 14 QR
Do you think I have a chance for NYU?

I recently took my DAT 18AA,19TS, 18PAT, but a 14 QR
Do you think I have a chance for NYU?

NYU likes high DATs. They have a low GPA average, but a high DAT average at like 21.5. You may have a chance, but I don't think it's a good one.

I from NYC specifically Queens. I don't think it's as noisy as you think it might be? It is definitely noisy depending on where you live. If you live smack in the middle of manhattan say like herald square or around chinatown it's going to be loud just because those are roads that can lead to tunnels. But around the school were students live the blocks are usually one way blocks so not that many cars will go by. If you live near the school hospital you will definitely be hearing ambulances more often.

As for crowds if things get back to normal after COVID gets controlled then I guess you can say its crowded depending on the time of day. Rush hour 8am and 5pm trains will be dumb packed like touching shoulder to shoulder. But any other time in between trains aren't really crowded. As for streets it also depends where you are. Manhattan isn't always crowded on weekdays but weekends and after 8pm it can get crowded for drinks and hangouts.

If you live really rural NYC might be a shock because you are constantly surrounded by people but its not terrible. Just avoid time square LOL it's always crowded and there's nothing to do but shop at stores you can find on like hearld square or lexington ave.

Just be careful of some areas in manhattan that at night tend to be more dangerous. The thing about manhattan is that one block can be considered "safe" and then you walk one block over and its considered "dangerous"

NYC is easy to navigate tho because its on a grid system: so for example if your at 5th ave and west 34th street and you want to go to 7th ave and 36 street you just have to walk 2 aves up and then 2 blocks to the right.

Manhattan is safer than Queen and there is no such thing as one block is safe and the other is not. You are confusing Manhattan with Chicago
and at least Manhattan people wear their masks!

Manhattan is safer than Queen

Depends on the area. Queens is a huge county.

And yes, one town can be safer than some others.

And no, there are many in public in Manhattan without masks.

Would appreciate any help, I just got accepted and am trying to decide whether it is worth attending nyu.
How is the D1 clinical experience right now? Is the coursework manageable? Do you anticipate things changing for the incoming class of 2025 especially with possibility of being vaccinated?
Was it easy to make friends and are upper years helpful in the transition??

Would appreciate any help, I just got accepted and am trying to decide whether it is worth attending nyu.
How is the D1 clinical experience right now? Is the coursework manageable? Do you anticipate things changing for the incoming class of 2025 especially with possibility of being vaccinated?
Was it easy to make friends and are upper years helpful in the transition??
If you have any other option, NO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
would reapplying with acceptances look bad? other than it being expensive, is nyu a good school clinically?
From what I am hearing, nyu is doing terribly in terms of clinical experience. Significant number of D4s are underprepared and seeking gpr programs

From what I am hearing, nyu is doing terribly in terms of clinical experience. Significant number of D4s are underprepared and seeking gpr programs
This is only true because of the pandemic, which almost every dental school has issues with. Usually, NYU has decent clinicals.

This is only true because of the pandemic, which almost every dental school has issues with. Usually, NYU has decent clinicals.

Thats not true. There was a huge scandal few years ago because a bunch of students on upper floors didn't have enough patients to graduate and they pulled some stunt. Several students ended up getting suspended or something.

Thats not true. There was a huge scandal few years ago because a bunch of students on upper floors didn't have enough patients to graduate and they pulled some stunt. Several students ended up getting suspended or something.
What are these scandals? Or can you point us to where we can read about them? When you say a bunch that seems ambiguous. There are 375 people- or even more in 4th year.

on their website it says they get 300,000 patients is that not true?
Nope it's pretty true. This person is using an isolated incident to reflect the entire clinical status of the school. NYU has a **** ton of problems, but clinical experience is not one of them.

on their website it says they get 300,000 patients is that not true?
Just at the dental school?

300,000/750 (D3+D4s combined) = 400 pts per student.

I guess that is possible to see 400 pts in two years with limited exams, prophies etc. I don't think all of those could be comprehensive care pts though as that would overwhelm the DS3/4s.

Nope it's pretty true. This person is using an isolated incident to reflect the entire clinical status of the school. NYU has a **** ton of problems, but clinical experience is not one of them.

What are your requirements? Number of crowns, dentures, exos, endo procedures?

What are your requirements? Number of crowns, dentures, exos, endo procedures?
I believe the actual requirements are low but the number of patients you get will cover that many times over. Instead I will share the amount of procedures that my cousin got during his D4 year. This was middle of his D4 years and he still had like almost half a year left until graduation, so I presume he got more later on. The filling/SRP requirements were much lower than what he actually got to do, but certain procedures, he was still missing some. This was a snapshot of his Jan 2018 progress, 5 months from graduation.

Fillings: ~140
SRP: ~90
Non surgical Extractions: 55
Surgical (extractions? not sure): 30
Dentures: Can't find
Endo: 6
Fixed crowns: 12
Fixed bridges: 2
Fixed porc crown: 1
Fixed impsupcrown: 1
REM-RPD: 7 (I have no idea what this is)

There are a lot others that I didn't list like REM-OD, REM-CD, OP-bleach, etc, I just don't know what they are since I'm still only D1.

Last edited:
I believe the actual requirements are low but the number of patients you get will cover that many times over. Instead I will share the amount of procedures that my cousin got during his D4 year. This was middle of his D4 years and he still had like almost half a year left until graduation, so I presume he got more later on. The filling/SRP requirements were much lower than what he actually got to do, but certain procedures, he was still missing some. This was a snapshot of his Jan 2018 progress, 5 months from graduation.

There are a lot others that I didn't list like REM-OD, REM-CD, OP-bleach, etc, I just don't know what they are since I'm still only D1.

must be a superstar then, cause my D4 friends at NYU have done far less. Wouldn’t have low requirements if all 400 people are able to get your cousins numbers.

must be a superstar then, cause my D4 friends at NYU have done far less. Wouldn’t have low requirements if all 400 people are able to get your cousins numbers.
Is that not how it always is though? There will always be those that rise to the top and those that do not. Maybe the sheer numbers at NYU jades the perspective of people on SDN because they only hear about the people who are struggling- and numerically it is a high number. Seems like the only real dig people can make from the outside looking in would be the cost

Reactions: 1 users
Well, my cousin graduated already in a normal year. He wasn’t the best student and he wasn’t the worst student. His roommates kept saying he was always playing games so I assumed he was just an average student and he still managed to get this number of patients.

If your friends are D4 at NYU right now and are struggling, it’s because they got shafted by Covid, not by NYU. NYU did lower the requirements from my speaking with the upper classmen, and D3s haven’t seen a single patient. However, this is not the norm. In a normal year, NYU has great clinical experience.

Last edited:
Is that not how it always is though? There will always be those that rise to the top and those that do not. Maybe the sheer numbers at NYU jades the perspective of people on SDN because they only hear about the people who are struggling- and numerically it is a high number. Seems like the only real dig people can make from the outside looking in would be the cost
I agree with most of this. I see a lot of people crap on people for good reason, but when people say things like NYU has trash clinical, students can’t get patients to finish requirements (in a normal year) I roll my eyes because the school distributes patients, you can trade patients, even get your own, etc. It’s possible to miss a few when you near graduation, but the school and everyone will help you out. When you miss “a ton of requirements”, like some rumors say, that’s when it’s on you.

I don’t really agree with the first half about how some people rise to the top, regarding this situation (clinical requirements), since my cousin was just doing his job. He got his patients and did what he needed to do. He wasn’t a gunner, didn’t make OKU, wasn’t mr surgeon hands, etc. he was just a regular student who did his work. That said, I don’t have anyone to compare it with, so it is possible that he was ahead of the curve in terms of clinical requirements.

Last edited:
I don’t really agree with the first half about how some people rise to the top, regarding this situation (clinical requirements), since my cousin was just doing his job. He got his patients and did what he needed to do. He wasn’t a gunner, didn’t make OKU, wasn’t mr surgeon hands, etc. he was just a regular student who did his work. That said, I don’t have anyone to compare it with, so it is possible that he was ahead of the curve in terms of clinical requirements.
That is a good point about just doing his job. Kind of even furthers the debate that clinical requirements are not hard to come by if you just do what you are supposed to do.

he did 2 bridges???! is he the most hated kid in his clinic lol

D1 here. Honestly because nyu is such a big class your going to have people who hate the school, who love the school, and those who dont really care.

Any course load at any dental school is going to be 20 to 30 credits. I suggest you really have down a solid study plan if not your going to be using the first semester of d1 to just learn how to study and balance school life and this can be dangerous.

Unfortunately for the D2 alot of their courses had exams thar counted for 100% of their grades. NYU recognized their mistake and changes these requirements for D1s. Those same courses now had additional quizzes and sometimes extra credit to help students out. Also maybe because everything was online but for d1 our averages were B+ usually and barely any students failed any course. Usually maybe 3-7 students depending on the course

Yes some courses were difficult and professors sucked. But other courses professors were really good. Almost all exams professors told us what would be on it and gave us breakdowns

As for clinics, the d1s you see complaining I honestly dont know why they are. NYU hasnt really done too well with covid as things were always changing but then again its covid and NYU has to cater to the d3s ans d4s that need to graduate.

we d1s only go in once a week and drill for 3 hours. some d1s got home drilling set ups. It sucks that we dont get more time to drill but it's a pandemic and NYU cant allow 1200 students inside everyday in addition to all the patients and staff.

Hopefully our d2 year we get to make up for the lost of time but we shall see.

I don’t think NYU’s response to COVID was their fault. It was the polices of their elected officials that caused them to do the things they did.

I don’t think NYU’s response to COVID was their fault. It was the polices of their elected officials that caused them to do the things they did.

I can agree with this. NYU response to covid wasnt the best but it also wasnt the worst. I think the best part was the weekly testing that NYU makes us do at no additional cost to our tuition.

But the few times we do go into clinics I have enjoyed it so far and have learned alot in the short amount of time

I think NYU is truly a school where you have to be okay with asking for help and not wait for a professor to come around and help you. You have to be proactive and maybe it's different with a smaller class but I havent had a problem with finding a professor and getting feedback.

Some students have complained about a lack of faculty and TA presence but this was fixed when students complained. NYU does listen to its students with certain situations that they can control.

We're almost done with our d1 year and so far I havent heard any complaints besides the 5 exams in one month and lack of clinical time.