AMA - NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As for clinics, the d1s you see complaining I honestly dont know why they are. NYU hasnt really done too well with covid as things were always changing but then again its covid and NYU has to cater to the d3s ans d4s that need to graduate.

Uh, the D1s were complaining because they separated the classes into bench, sim, and clinic. The bench/sim students were fine. The clinic students had no instructors... They only got Instructors and TAs because they complained.

Then Tuesday session always got ****ed before a Wednesday/Thursday Exam. They could have alternated from last semester, but they didn't.

Members don't see this ad.

If your friends are D4 at NYU right now and are struggling, it’s because they got shafted by Covid, not by NYU. NYU did lower the requirements from my speaking with the upper classmen, and D3s haven’t seen a single patient. However, this is not the norm. In a normal year, NYU has great clinical experience.
Is it true that now class of 2021 has graduated, NYU's class of 2022 just started clinic for the first time? So they will only have 1 year of patient experience under their belt before they graduate next May?

Last edited:
Is is true that now class of 2021 has graduated, NYU's class of 2022 just started clinic for the first time? So they will only have 1 year of patient experience under their belt before they graduate next May?
It is partially true. Most of the class of 2022 started clinic when the D4's started again last year, but they were mostly assisting, not doing procedures. If the D4 wanted to though, they might have let the D3 do some stuff like drilling or filling, etc, but it was entirely at the discretion of the D4. Around February, the D3 started getting their own patients, but they had to pair up with another D3 to "share the patient." As things started laxing up, the D3s are getting their own patients (no partner bull****).

So if you mean start clinic as in literally start clinic, then no because we start in our D2 years. But if you meant like managing their own patients (without a partner), then it could be true depending on which D3 you ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm honestly on the fence about applying to NYU. Can you offer any more information about the school and the clinics? My biggest fear is the large class size....that is what really has me contemplating applying. Also, looking at the supplemental essay, what should I focus on writing about? What does the admission team like to read/hear about from potential students about why they want to pursue their dental education at NYU?

Yeah, almost every single NYU student has said that the class sizes aren't a problem because it isn't. People like to say "large class size means this or that" and it's something that's just thrown around but again, it's not gonna make or break your education. The actual problems are the ones about administration which everyone has been vocal about. On that front, whenever I complain about my school to my friends, everyone I have talked to from other schools tend to say something like "oh same for us, our school administration does that too" so I never really know if it's just NYU or not. Lastly, there's the debt bit and again, I've been pretty vocal about not going there unless you have a scholarship or you live in NYC, at which point, you won't be too much worse off than if you went to another school.

What causes one dental student to do more procedures vs another one in the long term. Say if I wanted to do more procedures, what would I have to do?

NYU is a school where if you want it to happen and you do what is required for said to happen, it WILL happen. It has all the resources and they are all available to the students. Patients aren't an issue if you are proactive about it and put yourself in line for emergencies, new patients, etc - this is what really separates top producers from individuals who are trying to scavenge a bridge 2 weeks before graduation. Academics are not an issue if you really keep up with the lectures/podcasts and efficiently allocate study time.

Is it worth the price? That's for you to decide. If you can save money on rent, then it definitely could be an option. If you're taking out full loans, probably not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user