AMC Job Postings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you who have looked for (research-heavy) jobs in AMCs, freestanding cancer centers, independent research institutes and the like - where did you check for ads? Psychwiki and insidehighered all seem to lean towards traditional university setting jobs - I wasn't sure if similar resources existed for these types of places. Obviously listservs are a big one, but where else?

I'm realizing nearly everyone I know (including myself) grew up in the system, was specifically recruited by an outside entity, or simply contacted somewhere and asked if they could have a job (the perks of having grant funding...), so a very different process than the usual academic job search.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Society of Behavioral Medicine's job board isn't huge, but it seems like most of the positions listed there fit this description. I've also seen postings for tenure-track AMC jobs on PsycCareers and even more general sites like Indeed, but they're greatly outnumbered by clinical jobs.

Listervs. Probably the best reason to join one of the APA Divisions is to see ads for jobs relevant to that division.

From my anecdotal experiences, often postdocs are recruited to stay as a primary source of new faculty at AMCs or work on grant funding durng postdoc to use as new faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My local AMC advertises for postdoc and AP positions a lot on various public job boards. I don't know how often those positions are advertised with the idea that they have to make the jobs publicly available even if they have someone already in mind.

I am an internal hire but I once contacted faculty at a different AMC about something else and they said if I ever wanted to move there they would basically create a position for me? I guess if you have grants you can move and are willing to fill in clinical care gaps that's attractive. So I bet you could also cold email people.

Reactions: 1 users
I am an internal hire but I once contacted faculty at a different AMC about something else and they said if I ever wanted to move there they would basically create a position for me? I guess if you have grants you can move and are willing to fill in clinical care gaps that's attractive. So I bet you could also cold email people.

Thanks all. Coming up on a stage where it makes sense to at least contemplate a move so starting to cobble together resources. Re-inventing myself a bit might be worth considering and a move could help. The "just ask if you want to come here" strategy might be an option depending on how funding unfolds this next year, but never want to be so bold as to assume things will get funded.

Sounds like others had much the same impression. Seems like so many are grown from within they don't look outside as often and I am not sure what the road in might look like!

Reactions: 2 users
I think more folks need to do that in an AMC. I find that salaries are stunted b/c less people are trying to move around.

But I don't know squat and just talking :D