AMCAS Activities - To Include or Not Include?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgc798

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling with deciding to put piano instruction in my AMCAS section. I was taught for 12 years (from 2001 to 2013) and stopped official instruction literally two weeks before I started college. However, I have played the piano in my downtime many times since then. I actually wanted to put this as my most meaningful experience, as I initially hated it, but patient diligence and hard work forced me to appreciate it, and then I ended up loving it and was compelled to help younger students with the art. It was the first time that I was shown what it took to truly master something, and I can link this to medical school. I have played in many concerts and recitals, with my last one being in the summer after I graduated high school, but have not done anything official since. Will medical schools care that the bulk of my instruction came before college and that it's simply been a hobby since? Should I include it but not make it my most meaningful, or not include it at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say go for it.

My reasoning is the following:

1. It shows passion due to the time commitment

2. It shows an ability to teach others which is very positive for med schools.

3. You show personal growth by you becoming a person who can appreciate something even if initially you hated it.

4. Seems like you write a well thought out essay based on your experiences
I am struggling with deciding to put piano instruction in my AMCAS section. I was taught for 12 years (from 2001 to 2013) and stopped official instruction literally two weeks before I started college. However, I have played the piano in my downtime many times since then. I actually wanted to put this as my most meaningful experience, as I initially hated it, but patient diligence and hard work forced me to appreciate it, and then I ended up loving it and was compelled to help younger students with the art. It was the first time that I was shown what it took to truly master something, and I can link this to medical school. I have played in many concerts and recitals, with my last one being in the summer after I graduated high school, but have not done anything official since. Will medical schools care that the bulk of my instruction came before college and that it's simply been a hobby since? Should I include it but not make it my most meaningful, or not include it at all?

Reactions: 1 users
As you engaged in this activity after HS graduation in some form makes it a legit inclusion for your application (possibly as an Artistic Endeavor vs Hobby). From what you've said here, it sounds like it would make for an excellent MM entry, considering your growth in the endeavor, taking on a teaching role, what you learned about persistence, and the impact you describe.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DEFINITELY PUT THIS ON YOUR APP

If you spent 12 years carefully honing a craft and drew personal development from it, you would be insane to leave it off.

Reactions: 4 users
I took piano lessons for 8 years and placed that in my EC section as an artistic endeavor.

I would say go for it as well! I'll be doing the same with another activity (literally in the very same situation with the time commitment). Out of curiosity, who are you listing as the contact? @jgc798

I would say go for it as well! I'll be doing the same with another activity (literally in the very same situation with the time commitment). Out of curiosity, who are you listing as the contact? @jgc798

I am listing my piano instructor.