AMCAS App submission vs. MCAT Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waltenba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some input on this plan. I would like to take the MCAT mid-July (meaning my scores come back mid-August). I have my AMCAS application ready to be submitted and I know that you can add schools to your application even after submission. Should I submit the application with only a few schools attached and then add more after I get my scores back?. That way the application will already be verified by AMCAS. My quandary is whether to take the MCAT earlier or in mid-July (I think I could use the extra time to study), however I do not want to decrease my chances with time. Also, is submitting the application early June too early when I won't get my MCAT score back until August? Any advice is helpful. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm no expert on this and I'm sure some adcoms will end up posting advice but just wanted to share my personal experience/thoughts:

-Taking the mcat/submitting earlier is everyone's best bet, HOWEVER, if you are not ready and are not doing as well as you want to be on your practice exams, then take the time to study and take it later. It is better to submit a month later than to submit earlier with a bad score. I wouldn't suggest taking the mcat any later than mid-July since after that you are starting to get into territory that may decrease your chances at interviews/acceptances.

-I took mine in the middle of June and took the next two weeks to work on my application (personal statement, activities, etc) and submitted to one school in the beginning of July while I waited for my mcat score. Two weeks later I got my score and added the other schools. I think it was smart to get my application in the process of getting verified while I waited for my score, and I'd recommend doing that.

-Again, if you are not doing as well as you want to be on your practice exams, I would not encourage you to take the mcat or submit your application because if you don't do well enough on the mcat, then you just wasted money sending in your application and will be considered a reapplicant to whatever school you submitted your app to.

-As far as submitting in June being too early: I wouldn't say it's "too early" but depending your situation it might not be the best move. Schools are not going to look at your application until it's complete with your mcat score anyways so I wouldn't take time away from your mcat studying to work on the application (especially if you are not feeling prepared for the mcat). If you're doing really well on your practice exams and already have all your application materials ready to go, then I guess submitting in June won't make a difference. The benefit to submitting early is that you get your application verified faster, but even if you complete all your secondaries, schools are not going to look at your app until your score comes in. I took all the time I could before my mcat to study to set myself up for success in terms of my score. The only thing I did for my application while I was studying for the mcat was getting my letters of rec since those can take a while to collect.

I hope this is helpful to you, like I said, I'm by no means an expert but was in a similar situation. Hopefully some adcoms will comment as well!

Do not apply to a “few schools” with this plan. Apply to ONE throwaway school just to get your app verified and wait for an MCAT score.

If you get your score and it isnt as high as you wanted, you might have to retake it and you’d be a reapplicant at all those schools as well.

Reactions: 1 users