• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

AMCAS character count issue is making me bang my head against the wall

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Literally today has just been a weird day in general and this was icing on the cake... somebody please help me.

I am currently experiencing difficulty with writing both my Personal Statement and Work and Activities in AMCAS. I know that both my PS and every Work and Activities entry is below the maximum limit allowed by the application, but nonetheless I am unable to complete my entires. At first, I tried copying and pasting from Word, and when that was not working I quickly learned that AMCAS is not terribly friendly to this method. So, I next tried copying/pasting from a plain text format, which still did not work.

Finally, as a last resort, I did not copy/paste anything from anywhere and instead physically typed each character into the entry box and that still did not work- I am being cut off at 12 to 14 characters for each entry, with AMCAS prohibiting me from typing a single character more. I have used multiple character counters (with spaces) and I am below the maximum character count for each entry but AMCAS always stops me 12 to 14 characters short no matter how I enter text into the boxes. If anyone has any tips or resolutions PLEASE let me know, I will be super grateful!

1) make sure you have replaced your paragraph marks with manual line feed
2) Instead of banging your head against the way, remove 12 characters.
3) you should easily be able to reduce by 1%

Reactions: 1 user

sasukeuchiha33

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I have heard that some word processors undercount the number of characters.
I hear what you're saying but in this case it seems like AMCAS is the ONLY word processor that is different. Every single word processor I have used is giving me the exact same character count except for AMCAS, so logic states that if there is a problem, it is with AMCAS.

sasukeuchiha33

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
1) make sure you have replaced your paragraph marks with manual line feed
2) Instead of banging your head against the way, remove 12 characters.
3) you should easily be able to reduce by 1%
GONNIF thanks so much- great to see you. what do you mean exactly by replacing paragraph marks with manual line feed? sorry I'm not terribly tech savvy haha. and if that doesn't work, what's the underlying issue? is it with the way I'm typing? Thanks!

14_karat

5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2014
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
I hear what you're saying but in this case it seems like AMCAS is the ONLY word processor that is different. Every single word processor I have used is giving me the exact same character count except for AMCAS, so logic states that if there is a problem, it is with AMCAS.
Check for any extra spaces, maybe remove any indentations?

I copy and pasted my PS from Word to AMCAS right now and it's giving me the same character count.

sasukeuchiha33

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Check for any extra spaces, maybe remove any indentations?

I copy and pasted my PS from Word to AMCAS right now and it's giving me the same character count.
Did you have paragraphs? When I separated my paragraphs I hit enter once, but I didn't hit indent/tab, so all paragraphs start with the same alignment. but if I understand correctly each "enter" should only take up 1 character. does it take up more in AMCAS?

14_karat

5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2014
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
Did you have paragraphs? When I separated my paragraphs I hit enter once, but I didn't hit indent/tab, so all paragraphs start with the same alignment. but if I understand correctly each "enter" should only take up 1 character. does it take up more in AMCAS?

This might be your problem! No mine did not have any spaces. I just tested adding one "enter" (new paragraph) right now and it took up 2 extra characters on AMCAS.

sasukeuchiha33

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
This might be your problem! No mine did not have any spaces. I just tested adding one "enter" (new paragraph) right now and it took up 2 extra characters on AMCAS.
I think I got It fixed, thanks so much! Though my work and activities is still being weird. one tab that I have for honors and awards is being strange, as the awards are in a list format in which "enter" after competing each entry on the list, although this enter just moves to the next line, it doesn't skip a line like my paragraph format does in the personal statement. any advice for this haha

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
paragraph marks take up 2 characters in some systems
I think I got It fixed, thanks so much! Though my work and activities is still being weird. one tab that I have for honors and awards is being strange, as the awards are in a list format in which "enter" after competing each entry on the list, although this enter just moves to the next line, it doesn't skip a line like my paragraph format does in the personal statement. any advice for this haha
this is a setting in WORD paragraph Click Format >> Paragraph >> bottom of the box is spacing

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.