AMCAS disadvantaged questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RIP Taylor 21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys I have questions about filling out this part of the application. I never really considered myself disadvantaged because growing up I felt I was always better off than my cousins and most of my friends since my family always so supportive, but looking at the questions in this section I think I may qualify under this.

Here is my story. I was born in South America and came to this country when I was in 7 or 8 years old. Looking back I remember that at one point my family household size was 7 and we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Anyway, they ask what your parents earned from the time you were born until your 18th birthday. Ive gone over my parent's income tax and saw that since I was 6 years old to my 18th birthday they have averaged about 20,000 to 25,000 dollars a year. The years before that are very difficult to calculate since my parents were in Bolivia and their income was likely a few dollars day, so I don't know if that average should be lower or if I should just stick with the 20,000 to 25,000 figure?

the other part is that they ask where you llived most of your life. I lived most of my life in the washington metro area but different counties in the area for about the same amount of time in each. Does it matter which county I put down? Im guessing I should just put the county I went to high school in?

The number of people in my household is a confusing question for me because there were times where our household was 8 (including grandma) and other times where it was 6 ( grandma moved, and my brother I guess was too old to be considered a member of the house hold? (in his 20's).

Lastly, I am curious as to what my fellow latinos check under the race question in the application. I am mestizo. (Native South American mixed European of some kind). So I don't really ever know what to check under race. I always click on Hispanic for ethnic group but my family is of mixed race, so I dont check anything there anymore. Growing up people use to tell me to check white, but i don't feel that it is accurate to check that without checking something for my native heritage (does native american apply? I have always wondered). What do other latinos who are meztizo out there select for race question?

Thanks in advance for any questions comments!!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely fill out the disadvantaged section b/c your parent's income was lower than average.

Thanks for the replies!! ( yes I read nutsur's response before he deleted it) I forgot to thank you before.

Just to update. I did decide to apply as a disadvantaged applicant.