AMCAS EC Writing Style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WindmillChaser92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad here with no undergrad pre-health advising office to ask these questions, so I apologize if it seems simple.

What is the writing style admissions committees want to see for the 15 AMCAS Extra-curricular activities? Should they read like a more robust resume description, or should they read almost like a paragraph from the personal statement?

Does each EC need to address the question "why medicine", or "how did this help you figure out you wanted to be a doctor"? Or can you list a hobby/experience that is meaningful and helped shape you as a person but does not necessarily have a direct or clear connection to medicine?

Additionally, for the experiences checked as "Most Meaningful", is the write-up one input block that is 2,025 characters? Or is it a 700 character description block with a separate input block that is 1,325 characters where you write a different summary addressing why it was most meaningful? Just trying to figure out if it is one longer write-up or two separate inputs for the same experience.

Most importantly, I am trying to a get a read on the writing style most acceptable for the EC section.

Thanks for your comments and feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Most meaningful experiences will give u a second additional box, not one big one.

Personally I wrote ECs in paragraph style not like a PS but addressing the following questions:
What did you do?
Why did you do it?
What did you learn from it/How it impacted you/your path to becoming a physician (not always directly applicable to medicine, and you do not need to reach super hard for this. But consider "What did you learn about yourself/medicine from this experience?" more generally)

For most meaningful experiences (MME), I wrote more specifically about how it was a transformative experience, more in depth than other ECs, reflecting on how it informed my choice to pursue medicine (for clinical stuff) or developed my interests within medicine (ie. teaching, living in a rural area making me interested in serving those populations, etc)

Be careful not to be too repetitive between activities and personal statement. They should supplement each other not be a repeat.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Most meaningful experiences will give u a second additional box, not one big one.

Personally I wrote ECs in paragraph style not like a PS but addressing the following questions:
What did you do?
Why did you do it?
What did you learn from it/How it impacted you/your path to becoming a physician (not always directly applicable to medicine, and you do not need to reach super hard for this. But consider "What did you learn about yourself/medicine from this experience?" more generally)

For most meaningful experiences (MME), I wrote more specifically about how it was a transformative experience, more in depth than other ECs, reflecting on how it informed my choice to pursue medicine (for clinical stuff) or developed my interests within medicine (ie. teaching, living in a rural area making me interested in serving those populations, etc)

Be careful not to be too repetitive between activities and personal statement. They should supplement each other not be a repeat.

Hope that helps.
That helps a lot. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I def agree with much of what was said earlier. also, if it is a clinical activity I'd try to tie in a bit on how those experiences or skills gained would be an asset to have as a doctor. if it is clearly not a clinical activity, don't make the stretch and connect it to medicine. comes across as tacky and it's just not necessary bc adcoms want to see how well-rounded you are, which not only includes your ECs but also the experiences/skills gained from it.

I tried to make sure my EC descriptions came across like a detailed picture. So each one specifically told something about me but each described something different. So when viewing it as a whole, it all came together as a cohesive and well-rounded persona.

if it is clearly not a clinical activity, don't make the stretch and connect it to medicine. comes across as tacky and it's just not necessary bc adcoms want to see how well-rounded you are, which not only includes your ECs but also the experiences/skills gained from it.

I'm struggling to fill out 15 EC's, so in regards to those non-clinical activities. How important is it that they are tied to an organization/the hours can be tracked. I have non-clinical activities like a club sport that I'd feel comfortable writing about, but also activities that, while I do think they make me somewhat unique, are just personal/casual hobbies that I do in my free-time (i.e. playing speed chess at a novice/intermediate level, trained for and ran in a half-marathon recently, etc.).

Sorry if this is hijacking from OP, but I figured it would be relevant to them as well.

I'm struggling to fill out 15 EC's, so in regards to those non-clinical activities. How important is it that they are tied to an organization/the hours can be tracked. I have non-clinical activities like a club sport that I'd feel comfortable writing about, but also activities that, while I do think they make me somewhat unique, are just personal/casual hobbies that I do in my free-time (i.e. playing speed chess at a novice/intermediate level, trained for and ran in a half-marathon recently, etc.).

Sorry if this is hijacking from OP, but I figured it would be relevant to them as well.
There is no need to fill up all 15 available activities. Don't put stuff for the sake of meeting that number. Only put what is relevant and adds to your application. Certainly some of those hobbies are great to include but I'd guess more than 1-2 would be concerning.

Try to have someone else who can verify stuff, for hobbies it's okay to put yourself for it but again don't put more than one thing that jut adds a dimension of personality and have something special about it, not like "I like doing karaoke with friends" or highly casual things.

Reactions: 1 user

you 1000% do not need to fill up all 15 ECs, quality >> quantity. For the most part, your activities should be something that'd be definable. What I mean by that is something such as training for half-marathon is not definable because 1) you don't have an advisor that you can list on the activity 2) it's def leaning towards a hobby and very abstract when you actually sit down and write about it. If you were in a chess club then def feel free to include that cus it's unique to you and that's something that is definable. for the most part tho limit how many "for fun/hobby" kind of activities you list.

Reactions: 1 users
Fun/hobbies are a way to distinguish yourself from the pack. They offer a change of pace for the interviewer to talk with you about. You might even have your application read by someone with the same hobby (or a similar one) and people do like to press forward people who are like themselves. You might be a different race, gender, religion but if you have gardening, or running or trombone in common, it might push you over the top. What sometimes appears random is something less than random but not easily identifiable.

Reactions: 5 users

you 1000% do not need to fill up all 15 ECs, quality >> quantity. For the most part, your activities should be something that'd be definable. What I mean by that is something such as training for half-marathon is not definable because 1) you don't have an advisor that you can list on the activity 2) it's def leaning towards a hobby and very abstract when you actually sit down and write about it. If you were in a chess club then def feel free to include that cus it's unique to you and that's something that is definable. for the most part tho limit how many "for fun/hobby" kind of activities you list.
Hobbies don't require that you list a Contact. Using one space to list fun activities that you engage in for enjoyment and stress relief would not be a wasted spot. Even better if, as Lizzy M suggests, the entry creates a connection between you and a screener or interviewer.

Reactions: 4 users
1) What is the writing style admissions committees want to see for the 15 AMCAS Extra-curricular activities? Should they read like a more robust resume description, or should they read almost like a paragraph from the personal statement?

2) Does each EC need to address the question "why medicine", or "how did this help you figure out you wanted to be a doctor"?
3) Or can you list a hobby/experience that is meaningful and helped shape you as a person but does not necessarily have a direct or clear connection to medicine?

4) Additionally, for the experiences checked as "Most Meaningful", is the write-up one input block that is 2,025 characters? Or is it a 700 character description block with a separate input block that is 1,325 characters where you write a different summary addressing why it was most meaningful? Just trying to figure out if it is one longer write-up or two separate inputs for the same experience.
1) Every adcomm is different, so there is no one format guaranteed to appeal to every reader. Your writing style should be that which best conveys the information you want to impart. Speak with your own voice. You can use bullets or paragraphs, phrases or sentences. Formal essays are fine or brief blurbs, depending on the content.

2) No.
3) Yes.

4) You have two separate blocks separated by a blank space (not a line). You can meld them into a single essay so long as you have a paragraph break after the first 700 characters (as anything over 700 will disappear on the final submission).

Reactions: 4 users
1) Every adcomm is different, so there is no one format guaranteed to appeal to every reader. Your writing style should be that which best conveys the information you want to impart. Speak with your own voice. You can use bullets or paragraphs, phrases or sentences. Formal essays are fine or brief blurbs, depending on the content.

2) No.
3) Yes.

4) You have two separate blocks separated by a blank space (not a line). You can meld them into a single essay so long as you have a paragraph break after the first 700 characters (as anything over 700 will disappear on the final submission).
Thank you very much. That information helped tremendously.

Thank you very much. That information helped tremendously.
Be sure to preview each Activities entry through the PRINT APPLICATION button on the Main Menu so you are sure they look and read as you intended without any characters being dropped out in your final sentence from the 700 and 1325 character sections.

Be sure to preview each Activities entry through the PRINT APPLICATION button on the Main Menu so you are sure they look and read as you intended without any characters being dropped out in your final sentence from the 700 and 1325 character sections.
Thank you. I read your FAQs for the Work/Activities Tips Thread 2019-2020. That's great info.

For Military Service, how have you typically seen it broken down? I am an active-duty military officer (Navy). I have been attached to 6 different commands, but I do not want to use up 6 spots just for military service. However, listing all of them in one space would not give me nearly enough room to describe everything. I was thinking of breaking them into 2 different slots, one for shore commands and one for sea commands. My experiences on ships definitely had the most impact on me, and I did a lot more while attached to ships than the slower pace of shore commands. While my positions at shore commands are more varied than my roles on ships, I think I could make them all fit into one block. Would that be a logical/acceptable way to list my military service?

As far as #2 goes, i did NOT answer “why medicine” (this is legit what your PS is for) or how it will help me as a physician. There are secondaries that address those types of things. All i did for my activities section was literally described what it was and what i did. For my most memorable, i wrote WHY IT WAS MEMORABLE lol
Don’t read too much into this.

i think the important part about the writing style-wise is that it's concise, strong, well structured, you frame the experiences nicely. but it's not like a resume either, you're not just listing your responsibilities.i have been referring to AMCAS Most Meaningful Experiences this page for help writing mine. and quality over quantity yes!! don't force yourself to fill all 15!

For Military Service, how have you typically seen it broken down? I am an active-duty military officer (Navy). I have been attached to 6 different commands, but I do not want to use up 6 spots just for military service. However, listing all of them in one space would not give me nearly enough room to describe everything. I was thinking of breaking them into 2 different slots, one for shore commands and one for sea commands. My experiences on ships definitely had the most impact on me, and I did a lot more while attached to ships than the slower pace of shore commands. While my positions at shore commands are more varied than my roles on ships, I think I could make them all fit into one block. Would that be a logical/acceptable way to list my military service?
@Matthew9Thirtyfive has practical experience with this issue and has posted good advice about that. Maybe he'll drop by to give advice.

Thank you. I read your FAQs for the Work/Activities Tips Thread 2019-2020. That's great info.

So I broke my military service into multiple blocks. I had a block for my general military service, which included all of my general shipboard commands. Then I had a block for my military clinical experience, which I used as a most meaningful. Then I had one specifically for leadership, which I used for all of my significant leadership roles. I also had an awards block where I put my NAMs, MOVSM, etc and my academic awards. I left out my deployment ribbons and marksmanship medals since everyone who deploys gets the deployment ribbons and I wasn’t sure how saying I was an expert marksman would be received (though I was a gunners mate and had a lot of stuff about being a Mk38 and VLS tech, but I kept it to the general Navy block and kept it pretty generic).

For you, it would make sense to list your shore command billets separately and then have your sea duty in a separate block using most meaningful to give you the extra space. You could then use a third one for your awards.

Send me a PM if you want to see a copy of how I did it.