AMCAS essay advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeseop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after spending several unsuccessful weeks trying to weave an essay about why i want to be a doctor (using a rather formulaic strategy that focuses on the clinical/research/volunteer exp), im not sure if this is the best approach.

i was thinking about an alternative approach that shows adcoms a completely new side of me, not already on the application. so im thinkin of writing about bodybuilding, a sport that i avidly follow and practice (not competitively), and tying it into my desire for medicine. i think it'd be much more unique and less redundant. but im a little scared to do something THAT different on my primary app.

i dont have the essays show and ask which ones better, so my question is... do u think my idea is far-fetched/risky ?

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you can really tie it to medicine, and it's something you truly enjoy doing, that is your passion, I think it would be in fact a good idea to try it out.

Perhaps after you write if you can send it to one of the people on the PS help thread and ask them what they think. :luck:

_