AMCAS LOR: "Is the author associated with a school?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgetinformation

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions about the "Is the author associated with a school?" step when adding a LOR in AMCAS:

1) Does "school" here refer to any school I have attended, or to any school to which I am applying?

2) If "school" refers to any school to which I am applying, then does this particular one of my letter writers count as "associated": they are a physician who is the medical director of student health services at a university whose medical school I am applying to. The physician is not a professor in the medical school, nor part of their admissions department.

(I also have never attended this university.)

I found another thread about the same step in the AMCAS LOR addition process, but it's about an applicant's undergraduate professor who has since left the applicant's undergraduate institution.

Neither the 2018 AMCAS Instruction Manual ("Choose whether or not someone affiliated with a school will send this letter.") nor LOR video ("Indicate whether the letter is coming from a school") clarifies which type of "school" is meant, or what counts as "associated."

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the indefinite article is the clue that you are massively over thinking this. "Choose whether or not someone affiliated with a school will send a letter" vs "Choose whether or not someone affiliated with the school will send a letter". Your questions surround a search for a definitive school, but the question does not ask anything about "the" school ;). Grammar can actually stem the tide of neuroticism it appears.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile