AMCAS PS formatting error - block of text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted861943

So I'm trying not to panic... But I submitted my AMCAS and only included one "return", rather than two, between each paragraph. When printing the PDF, there was a small gap between paragraphs which makes it readable, so I figured that approach was fine. But the plain text makes it one block of text. I honestly didn't think anything of it until now.

There's nothing I can so at this point... just looking for some reassurance I guess. I have a very strong application otherwise (4.0 GPA, still waiting on my MCAT but felt good about it, lots of volunteering, research, and clinic experience).

Has anyone else done this? What were your results?

Are there any ADCOM member that can speak to how this might affect my application? Will you see it as just a block of text?

Is there a way to provide a supplemental PDF version of my personal statement, one with correct formatting?

Please don't just reply with just speculation. I'm interested to hear from anyone else who made this mistake(?) or anyone with actual knowledge of ADCOM processes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm not mistaken, the PDF version is how adcoms will see your application.

Only worry about the PDF. That is how your app comes across

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have like majorly bad formatting errors as in the whole last sentence was cut off of your essay somehow after you submitted it?

Adding paragraph breaks takes a few extra characters so even if MS Word says your character count is within the limit, it may be too long for AMCAS. If it's too long, it gives you a warning and truncates your text after you paste it. It didn't happen to me after submitting through. When it gave me the error I just edited it in Word and pasted it again.

If your essay is good overall, I'm sure missing the last sentence isn't too big of a deal. They'll still get a picture of who you are and your motives, even if it ends a bit abruptly. It's not ideal, but it seems to me that mistakes like this really hurt if you're already a borderline applicant but if you're a strong applicant, it will be more easily overlooked. That's my assumption.

In my previous career, I reviewed resumes for a large corporation and that's how I read them. If I wanted to interview the candidate, I'd readily overlook errors. But if wasn't impressed with a resume to begin with, mistakes were a good excuse to throw it out.

Adding paragraph breaks takes a few extra characters so even if MS Word says your character count is within the limit, it may be too long for AMCAS. If it's too long, it gives you a warning and truncates your text after you paste it. It didn't happen to me after submitting through. When it gave me the error I just edited it in Word and pasted it again.

If your essay is good overall, I'm sure missing the last sentence isn't too big of a deal. They'll still get a picture of who you are and your motives, even if it ends a bit abruptly. It's not ideal, but it seems to me that mistakes like this really hurt if you're already a borderline applicant but if you're a strong applicant, it will be more easily overlooked. That's my assumption.

In my previous career, I reviewed resumes for a large corporation and that's how I read them. If I wanted to interview the candidate, I'd readily overlook errors. But if wasn't impressed with a resume to begin with, mistakes were a good excuse to throw it out.
ugh that's a super good point. I'm finding it really easy to criticize myself and others. This process is demoralizing. Idk. My essay in general also I think sucks like made me come off as more cocky or whiny. I'd written it after some really bad personal/family stuff happened and it was tainted I think. Idk. I even re-wrote it last week for the hell of it and it was ten thousand times better but I don't think I could have written it better at the time considering what the situation was. I'm not a borderline applicant but I'm not super fantastic for sure. Idk. I'm feeling like if I have to re-apply literally the only thing that would change is my essay- everything else is good and lined up. This is so stressful like watching a train wreck stressful. Idk. Is a ****ty essay enough to keep someone out who has everything else in line?

I agree. This happens more often than it ought to, so you're not unique.
Thanks, y'all, for the input. This process is the WORST. It's just sitting back and waiting now and it's so stressful.

So I'm trying not to panic... But I submitted my AMCAS and only included one "return", rather than two, between each paragraph. When printing the PDF, there was a small gap between paragraphs which makes it readable, so I figured that approach was fine. But the plain text makes it one block of text. I honestly didn't think anything of it until now.

There's nothing I can so at this point... just looking for some reassurance I guess. I have a very strong application otherwise (4.0 GPA, still waiting on my MCAT but felt good about it, lots of volunteering, research, and clinic experience).

Has anyone else done this? What were your results?

Are there any ADCOM member that can speak to how this might affect my application? Will you see it as just a block of text?

Is there a way to provide a supplemental PDF version of my personal statement, one with correct formatting?

Please don't just reply with just speculation. I'm interested to hear from anyone else who made this mistake(?) or anyone with actual knowledge of ADCOM processes.
DONT_Panic mate. Adcoms are used to this and will most likely blame the AMCAS software, not you. Plus, they only spend like 2 minutes maximum reading your PS; the gaps, or rather, lack thereof, won't throw them off their A game. Adcoms are trained to read this kind of stuff. If your PS is good, then thats all that matters.