AMCAS submission timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geh926

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this topic has came up quite a bit and I've seen different opinions on here, but I'm wondering about when I should submit my primary application. I'm taking the MCAT for the first time on July 14th, which means schools will not receive my scores until August 14th. Tbh, I've barely started on my primary app because I've been devoting all my time toward the MCAT. Does it really matter if I submit early June vs early July? Either way, my application won't be complete until my scores come back in August so I wasn't really rushing to get it in early June. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Also, I plan to pre-write secondaries mid-July so I can be complete right away when my scores are processed.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably won't make a big difference between submitting early June vs. July; however, the time required for you to get verified increases tremendously during peak times of the application season (late July-Sept).

My advice would be to submit it as early as possible, preferably in June. I advise you to select only one school when you submit because in the case that your MCAT scores aren't satisfactory you won't be marked as a "reapplicant" at several schools. Submitting early allows you to get quickly verified and then you can just turn around your secondary essays once your scores come back.

So, this topic has came up quite a bit and I've seen different opinions on here, but I'm wondering about when I should submit my primary application. I'm taking the MCAT for the first time on July 14th, which means schools will not receive my scores until August 14th. Tbh, I've barely started on my primary app because I've been devoting all my time toward the MCAT. Does it really matter if I submit early June vs early July? Either way, my application won't be complete until my scores come back in August so I wasn't really rushing to get it in early June. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Also, I plan to pre-write secondaries mid-July so I can be complete right away when my scores are processed.

Submitting late is the cardinal sin of AMCAS submissions.

Seriously, just don't do it. Submit as early as you can.

For a handful of programs it doesn't matter officially, but to some extent it matters for all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're far enough away from your MCAT to devote some of your time to AMCAS. Get it in as soon as possible and just wait on your MCAT score.

Alright cool, thanks.I'll start splitting my time between the primary and my Mcat to get it in asap.

I just I'm still wondering why it matters though? Schools won't look at my file until its 100% complete so wouldn't it be the same to get verified late June as it would a week before my Mcat scores are released? I was just trying to avoid the "oh, this one isn't complete, bottom of pile" with the adcoms.

Also, does this urgency extend to the D.O. Schools too? I'm applying 50/50

Alright cool, thanks.I'll start splitting my time between the primary and my Mcat to get it in asap.

I just I'm still wondering why it matters though? Schools won't look at my file until its 100% complete so wouldn't it be the same to get verified late June as it would a week before my Mcat scores are released? I was just trying to avoid the "oh, this one isn't complete, bottom of pile" with the adcoms.

Also, does this urgency extend to the D.O. Schools too? I'm applying 50/50

All honesty, you would be better served waiting a year to apply and getting everything in on time.

No idea about DO programs, but it is absolutely essential for MD programs, even the non-rolling ones.

Many schools simply don't look at late applications - there are more than enough applications submitted on time to keep them busy.

Thanks for the input!

Does anybody have any opinion on why it does matter in this case when the primary is submitted, so long as it is verified and received by the schools by the time MCAT scores are received?

Last edited:
I'll throw in my own question: June 5th submission vs June 15th submission, any significant delays if transcript is in, but not LOR's?

Should give you idea on verification times from last year:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820933&page=19

In your case, look at the dates and make a judgment call about what fits your routine. People will give you their two cents but each person is speaking from their own, subjective views.

Get a great MCAT score and write a solid application that makes you seem exciting. Not doing either will hurt your app more than a few days in verification time.