American Dental Association (ADA) officially recognizes Dental Anesthesiology as a dental specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good for them. There’s only 300 of them in the entire country and they all have niche practices. I wouldn’t lose any sleep not having to do pedi/special needs dental and jaw fractures any more.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My residency will be picking up 1-2 of these trainees starting next academic cycle. Supposedly they will function as CA-1s who mostly do dental cases (and others when no dental is available), no call. Not particularly thrilled.

There is nothing I care less about.

My residency will be picking up 1-2 of these trainees starting next academic cycle. Supposedly they will function as CA-1s who mostly do dental cases (and others when no dental is available), no call. Not particularly thrilled.
Is this any better or worse than having an OMFS working as a CA1 for their 6 month block?

I wouldn't think the loss of dental cases would be a problem for an otherwise solid residency program.

Reactions: 1 user

when I was a med student, the residency program at our school had 1 or 2 dental residents functioning as CA1s in the room. I think they mostly just did straight forward GA cases and some peds.

if that were actually true, you wouldn't have even wasted the time and effort to make that post.
Well, now the thing I care least about is your reply.

Reactions: 9 users

i would not be happy if this happened at my program. dental/OMFS cases are pretty much one of the only source of nasal intubation practice that we get here!

Isnt dental statistically one of the most dangerous anesthetics delivered? Even CRNAs are better trained than a dentist with 6 months airway experience and never having done a call...

we've had a few dental "residents" rotate through.
the ones i've worked with were horrible.
i guess if they're going to ding some teeth, they're the ones who will end up fixing them. hopefully at a huge discount.

i would not be happy if this happened at my program. dental/OMFS cases are pretty much one of the only source of nasal intubation practice that we get here!

Same at my place. Our home site is also not a major pediatric center. The bulk of our peds is at one of the 2 major children’s hospitals in town. When we’re “home,” dental and ENT is about 90% of peds we see. Yet another reason I’m not super pumped. Leadship insists it won’t inpact our training though...

Isnt dental statistically one of the most dangerous anesthetics delivered? Even CRNAs are better trained than a dentist with 6 months airway experience and never having done a call...

those dentists actually have bigger case requirements than graduating SRNAs. Also not sure what "never having done a call" means since SRNAs are also not required to take any call to become a CRNA.

We have oral surgery residents that rotate at my residency. They do GA cases and a lot of the peds dental cases. They do a lot of nasal intubations. It wasn’t until my mid CA2 year I did a nasal intubation, when I told my attending he was shocked. So yes they take most of the nasal intubations. Plus, they aren’t on the call pool... other than that I like the residents.

Their residency is actually three years. Not six months. And some do take call.

They are more “dangerous” per say because they are often done in a dentist office with no one else to help when stuff go south. And many of those patients are peds patients.

we've had a few dental "residents" rotate through.
the ones i've worked with were horrible.
i guess if they're going to ding some teeth, they're the ones who will end up fixing them. hopefully at a huge discount.
Where these general dental residents or dentist anesthesia residents?
There’s a difference. I am no expert, but they train in anesthesia for three years.

Where these general dental residents or dentist anesthesia residents?
There’s a difference. I am no expert, but they train in anesthesia for three years.

they were dental residents. i think they have to do a month or couple month rotations in anesthesia.
worked with a couple before
worse than starting CA1s