American Medical Association PAC (AMPAC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phospho

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got in the mail a "2010 Membership Dues Statement" from the American Medical Association PAC (AMPAC). It seems like it's some political organization under the AMA. The annual fee for medical students is 20 bucks, which isn't too bad. But, honestly, I would rather spend the 20 bucks on beer.

If I'm a medical student, do I have to join them? I got one about 2 months ago and threw it away, but obviously they haven't gotten the hint. Has anyone joined this thing before, and/or given them money in the past? What do you get in return? Is it like joining that student AMA thing where you get a free netters? Or do you just get a thank you letter asking for more money?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is supposed to help elect leaders who will listen to physicians and help put them in influential positions to help shape healthcare policy....

Since although we are actually trained in medicine, the politicians have quite a bit of control.

Ideally, it would probably be best if all doctors joined these types of organizations, and helped make sure medicine goes in the right direction.

It is supposed to help elect leaders who will listen to physicians and help put them in influential positions to help shape healthcare policy....

Since although we are actually trained in medicine, the politicians have quite a bit of control.

Ideally, it would probably be best if all doctors joined these types of organizations, and helped make sure medicine goes in the right direction.

Unfortunately the AMA does not line up with the direction I want medicine to go in.

Unfortunately the AMA does not line up with the direction I want medicine to go in.

A lot of folks seem to think that.

Which is why I wonder what it might look like if all those people actually joined and voiced their opinion to move towards a modified direction.

I get one of these "dues statements" every month without fail. Threw every single one away.

A lot of folks seem to think that.

Which is why I wonder what it might look like if all those people actually joined and voiced their opinion to move towards a modified direction.

A significant amount of physicians that have been members for years have been vocal about their disdain for current AMA endorsements.

They are now exercising their opinion to leave the AMA and support organizations that already line up with the direction they want to go in.

so, is that an indication that all these physicians were not able to build a cohesive voice? as in, they all want different things...?

i think ideally, the AMA would be taking a very broad appeal, and the specialty organizations would do their own thing--thats ideally of course.

because when an issue arises that affects ALL physicians, it sure would be nice if we could agree somewhat.