American Medical schools- Best 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Are there any medical schools in the USA that look at your final 2 years of study/ best 2 years? I know some schools in Canada do, but just wondering about the USA.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. US medical schools look at your entire academic record from college. DO schools consider grade replacement.

The grade cutoffs appear to to wayyy lower in the US though
none of that 3.94 average for UotT crap! or Ottawa's 3.95+ preference for an interview....

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Utah comes to mind, but this won't help unless you're a UT resident, or from one of the nearby states.

There are other schools that do state they give more weight to the last two-three years of college. Your "best two years"? They'd better be the most recent. Declining grade trends are lethal.

Hey guys,

Are there any medical schools in the USA that look at your final 2 years of study/ best 2 years? I know some schools in Canada do, but just wondering about the USA.

Thanks.

The University of Washington medical school weights your freshman year as 1, sophomore year as 2, and junior year as 3. So assuming you apply as a senior, your final two years are worth 5/6ths of your GPA.

There was a recent thread on this as some schools (Wayne State, Michigan CHM) which have formal policies on counting post bacc or grad or last 32 credits as GPA. However, a recent AAMC Survey of medical admissions (see table 1) found that all medical schools consider grade trends of high importance. Adcoms do look past a crude overall GPA to see trends, science, postbacc, etc
Do you have a source on the first part? I couldn't find it in an SDN search, nor by looking through Wayne State's web site. Sure would make a world of difference to someone like me, though!

You need to search a little harder

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/post-bac-smp-honoring-medical-schools.1076406/#post-16426648

My point to this is that MOST medical schools use upward/downward grade trends as an important academic criteria (see table 1) and that students should think holistically and what their whole picture looks like. They should pin hopes on any individual school
Thanks!
I went through several searches, actually, but none of the wording in your initial post came up in this thread, and the title is...well, it doesn't sound as if it would be discussing individual schools' selection criteria, at all.
Considering that I've been on SDN for several years now and frequently am the person who searches out and reposts gems from well-respected posters such as yourself and other adcoms to save them the effort when they're asked the same question repeatedly...I know how to use the search function. In this particular instance, it wasn't an easy thread to find from the information provided.

I don't plan on relying on any particular school, but the concept of being viewed as a 4.0/40 student ('she has good stats!') as compared to a 3.3/40 student ('why is her gpa so low? Should we worry?') is appealing. :shrug:

Thanks again for pointing me in that direction!

Thanks!
I went through several searches, actually, but none of the wording in your initial post came up in this thread, and the title is...well, it doesn't sound as if it would be discussing individual schools' selection criteria, at all.
Considering that I've been on SDN for several years now and frequently am the person who searches out and reposts gems from well-respected posters such as yourself and other adcoms to save them the effort when they're asked the same question repeatedly...I know how to use the search function. In this particular instance, it wasn't an easy thread to find from the information provided.

I don't plan on relying on any particular school, but the concept of being viewed as a 4.0/40 student ('she has good stats!') as compared to a 3.3/40 student ('why is her gpa so low? Should we worry?') is appealing. :shrug:

Thanks again for pointing me in that direction!

I also searched. Tough find.

Reactions: 1 user