premedpl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am currently a high school sophomore in NJ. I know its is a bit early, but I would feel more secure knowing if what I plan on doing is actually possible. I love Canada and always wanted to study at school such as McGill in Montreal. A good amount of my family who lives in CA recommended it. My only worry was the formalities behind everything. Being an American citizen, I wanted to know how it would work to study in Canada and meet all premed requirements. At this point, I wouldn't mind studying medicine in either Canada or America but would for sure love to complete premed requirements in CA. So... would I be able to take my MCAT in Canada and would American school accept the premed requirements if they were completed in Canada? Thank you so much for your help, and since it's Christmas eve, happy holidays to you all !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can take all the premed classes in Canada and the MCAT too. One thing to consider is that you will not be competitive for med school in Canada because most only accept Canadian citizens. And for applying to US med schools with a Canadian undergrad, it's fine. You will need to do some shadowing, which is difficult to do in Canada, but you can do that over the summers. There is also no formal "pre-med" track in Canada but you can certainly inform yourself and make sure you are doing everything necessary to apply.

Reactions: 2 users
You can take all the premed classes in Canada and the MCAT too. One thing to consider is that you will not be competitive for med school in Canada because most only accept Canadian citizens. And for applying to US med schools with a Canadian undergrad, it's fine. You will need to do some shadowing, which is difficult to do in Canada, but you can do that over the summers. There is also no formal "pre-med" track in Canada but you can certainly inform yourself and make sure you are doing everything necessary to apply.
Thanks so much for that super quick reply ! I will definitely look more into the subject :)