Americorps/Moving Cross-Country Before Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoblast_0112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished undergrad and am in the process of finalizing my gap year plans for this upcoming year. I'm trying to decide between two really interesting positions in Americorps. One is in a rural area on the West Coast and the other is in a major city in Pennsylvania. I've lived on the East Coast my entire life. I am also applying to med schools for Fall 2015 matriculation, so I'll hopefully get some interviews during this upcoming year.

I'm applying to mostly East Coast med schools, but I'm not really sure what I should do about these Americorps positions in my gap year. The rural opportunity sounds like it would be something I would never really get to experience again, although it would be a little difficult and expensive to fly back and forth for med school interviews (also, I'd be living about 3-4 hrs away from a major airport). I think I would learn a lot about rural health, which is something I'm pretty interested in. The opportunity sounds like it would be fantastic and really different, though.

The East Coast opportunity sounds a little more hectic, in terms of the job description and living in a major city, but it would be a lot easier for me to travel to interviews and to find a place to live, since it's about 2-3 hrs away from my hometown.

Both are in my specific area of interest within healthcare, so I just don't know what to do.

Any advice on which you would choose, or just about traveling to med school interviews when living across the country? Would love some advice.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.