Amissions by residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErynD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello,

I know that alot of allopathic schools admit based on residency, and I'm almost sure schools are legally bound to admit a certain percentage of their students from the home state.

Is this true? And how does this change based on the school being public or private?

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that alot of allopathic schools admit based on residency, and I'm almost sure schools are legally bound to admit a certain percentage of their students from the home state.

Is this true? And how does this change based on the school being public or private?

If a school is private, they only have to give equal opportunity based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc.

It is their choice whether they want to educate in-state vs out-of-state. Most, however, have in their mission statements that they want to train excellent physicians that will stay in the area.

State-funded schools, as you've pointed out, are typically mandated to give a great deal of preference to in-state as a condition to their funding.