Amway during Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorcynical

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking of starting a small business on the side during medical school to make petty cash. I was thinking about Amway. Suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Imagine using your patient base as your distributors. You could provide them discounts for their visits, the more they sell.

Wow, I want to be at the top of the pyramid scheme. Where can I sign up?

For those that dont have a sense of humor, I am being cynical :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by doctorcynical
Anyone thinking of starting a small business on the side during medical school to make petty cash. I was thinking about Amway. Suggestions

Dude, are you crazy, stupid, and dishonest? Amway is a pyramid scheme. The only way to make money at it is to be dishonest and fool people stupider then you into being your distributors. Who are you going to hit up? Your fellow medical students? Your professors? God forbid your patients?

Not only will you alienate your associates by your eventual cult-like behavior but you will probably actually lose money at it. If you make anything at all (and most distributors in the pyramid do not) it will hardly be worth the time you invest in it. How much do you think you'll make trying to sell products which people can get for less at Wal Mart?

I had a friend who I hadn't seen in a couple of years who one day called me up and invited me to lunch. I thought, hey, he's a good guy and I haven't seen him or his wife in a long time so I thought maybe I'd go and "catch up."

The whole lunch turned into their spiel for Amway. They wanted to talk about nothing else and every other divergent line of conversation was somehow turned back towards Amway. The most insulting thing was that they knew I was an engineer, now a medical student, and yet they assumed that I was as big a friggin' idiot as they had been to get involved in "multi-level" marketing. (i.e. A pyramid scheme) the desperation underneath their optimistic facade was frightening.

Dude, I don't mean to come down hard on you. But Amway, or whatever they call it now, and all multi-level marketing schemes are sucker's bets. Just get into medical school, take out loans, and don't worry about money. God will provide, and I don't mean this sarcastically or facetiously.

PM me if you don't understand what multi-level marketing is and why it is a dog.

Originally posted by Panda Bear
and don't worry about money. God will provide, and I don't mean this sarcastically or facetiously.

Really? Does this mean I can sit on my ass all day long and God will provide me with money? Last time I checked, God was called welfare....

Originally posted by Auricae
Really? Does this mean I can sit on my ass all day long and God will provide me with money? Last time I checked, God was called welfare....

:rolleyes:

I think the name Amway is history now. Now, it's just the products such as Nutrilite and Artistry sold under the marketing strategy you've enrolled under (e.g. World Wide Dreambuilders). I am no way affilited with those companies, but realize that network marketing is a legitimate business, and many people have made a lot of money from it. I think it's really an all or nothing kind of deal, though. In order to make ANY money, like any business (especially in its startup stages), a lot of time and dedication must be invested. I've never heard of anyone working it half-assed to make a little spending money on the side to fund their true passion. If you believe that to be true, than you're really setting yourself up for failure. I think it's precisely this adtitude that jades people into thinking it's a scam. No, it's not. Upline (the person who approached you) may make it sound like it's easy but like a lot of other posters have noted, prepare to alienate yourself from your peers and even your family to get your company off the ground. Doing it while in med school is very, very bad timing. Unfortunately, that sort of business is all about timing (i.e. finding people who are ready for a change and an oppurtunity to get out of the "rut"). I'd suggest starting your own tutoring service instead if you really must earn cash on your own terms.

Originally posted by Auricae

Come on, Buddy. If you're not religious then you can interpret it to mean that "things will work out." You will borrow money, you will graduate, you will complete your residency, and you will make a decent income for the rest of your productive life. It's counterproductive, especially if you are single with no other responsibilities, to worry about money in medical school.

Trust me on this. I'm married with three kids and we are living on borrowed money, air, and finanacial slight-of-hand. Still, I would never consider doing something stupid like MLM (multi-level marketing.) To respond to one of the posters here, it is a complete scam. No two ways about it.