An Open Letter to Contract Group CEO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many of these CMG's pay so low because they underbid contracts to win them (i.e., doing them for free). They do this to increase their overall revenue, whether reimbursed or not. This can inflate their stock price. Also, when the contract comes up for re-negotiation, they start upping the price. The docs, however, continue to be paid very low.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Many of these CMG's pay so low because they underbid contracts to win them (i.e., doing them for free). They do this to increase their overall revenue, whether reimbursed or not. This can inflate their stock price. Also, when the contract comes up for re-negotiation, they start upping the price. The docs, however, continue to be paid very low.

I'm not sure docs need to unionize (I'm against unions anyway). Given the highly regional nature of the business and that we are skilled professionals who theoretically are not easy to replace we should be able to negotiate better. All it takes is for doctors to better understand their own business, and learn what they are worth. Residency does a poor job of discussing these types of things.

How many pit docs know what their CMG bills per hour in their name? How much the company collects?

I know with EMP we were getting around $125/pt just in the contracted insurance payments and not including procedures billed. At 3pts/hour (including the midlevel patients) that's $400/hour. Yet with benefits and salary our gross income was ~ $200/hour. Where did that other $200/hour go? I'm being very conservative with this, as I suspect collections were well over $500/hour. Of course an open, physician-owned, democratic group like EMP never bothered to tell us how much they were billing.

I think at the very least we should all demand that CMGs be open and transparent with how much they bill in our name, and how much they collect. After that individual docs could decide if they are paid fairly. If all the docs in one geographic area told their employer the wouldn't work without a pay raise, the CMG would have no choice but to negotiate. It's very expensive to hire scab workers and pay for "firefighters" travel from another state to fill shifts, and it cuts into their bottom line.

If all the docs in one geographic area told their employer the wouldn't work without a pay raise, the CMG would have no choice but to negotiate. It's very expensive to hire scab workers and pay for "firefighters" travel from another state to fill shifts, and it cuts into their bottom line.

And how exactly would something like that occur without the existence of some kind of union? At the very least you'd need a basic level of organization to take individual feelings of disgruntlement at being lowballed and turn them into collective action. Doesn't necessarily have to be a full fledged union, but at the end of the day it's potato potahto.

Members don't see this ad :)
And how exactly would something like that occur without the existence of some kind of union? At the very least you'd need a basic level of organization to take individual feelings of disgruntlement at being lowballed and turn them into collective action. Doesn't necessarily have to be a full fledged union, but at the end of the day it's potato potahto.

The problems with unions is that I would have to pay a portion of my salary to support it. They often are corrupt and add extra expense and don't necessarily return value. Furthermore they tend to make political contributions I disagree with. I also live in a right to work state, so any union would likely not have every member (including myself) join.

When EMP lost a huge contract that I worked at we had 30 docs. The new group chosen by the hospital was our last choice and very malignant. 20/30 doctors with some leadership from a few of us negotiated with the new group to get higher salary/better hours (they wanted 140 hours/month minimum!). When they refused to negotiate, 1/2 of the doctors promptly walked and either went to other hospitals or went into locums. The group who took the contract was never able to fully staff and ended up selling out to TeamHealth this year, who also is unable to staff their new contract, despite repeated rounds of negotiation.

Trust me, we can make them hurt, and hurt big. If enough docs say no it creates a huge shortage in an area which costs the CMGS a lot of money and puts their contracts at risk. These big guys just haven't been hurt enough, but if enough docs, even 25% of us say no, and hold out for higher salaries we can force them into changes. I routinely tell docs I meet who are paid less than $200/hour that they are idiots and should move to a better contract elsewhere. I'm still kicking myself for being a worker bee for 5 years and not realizing my own worth. Now whenever I get those recruiting e-mails/texts I just tell them my current rate is $400/hour.

Reactions: 3 users
The problems with unions is that I would have to pay a portion of my salary to support it. They often are corrupt and add extra expense and don't necessarily return value. Furthermore they tend to make political contributions I disagree with. I also live in a right to work state, so any union would likely not have every member (including myself) join.

When EMP lost a huge contract that I worked at we had 30 docs. The new group chosen by the hospital was our last choice and very malignant. 20/30 doctors with some leadership from a few of us negotiated with the new group to get higher salary/better hours (they wanted 140 hours/month minimum!). When they refused to negotiate, 1/2 of the doctors promptly walked and either went to other hospitals or went into locums. The group who took the contract was never able to fully staff and ended up selling out to TeamHealth this year, who also is unable to staff their new contract, despite repeated rounds of negotiation.

Trust me, we can make them hurt, and hurt big. If enough docs say no it creates a huge shortage in an area which costs the CMGS a lot of money and puts their contracts at risk. These big guys just haven't been hurt enough, but if enough docs, even 25% of us say no, and hold out for higher salaries we can force them into changes. I routinely tell docs I meet who are paid less than $200/hour that they are idiots and should move to a better contract elsewhere. I'm still kicking myself for being a worker bee for 5 years and not realizing my own worth. Now whenever I get those recruiting e-mails/texts I just tell them my current rate is $400/hour.

Got it. I'm also not fond of traditional "unions" in the tradition of Samuel Gompers, so if there is a way for docs to join forces in a more focused scope to achieve objectives related solely to compensation and work conditions I'm all for it. I guess in the scenario you described there was already a hierarchy in place among the docs, which served to provide that organizational structure and negotiating power. Hopefully that is the case in most places.

Got it. I'm also not fond of traditional "unions" in the tradition of Samuel Gompers, so if there is a way for docs to join forces in a more focused scope to achieve objectives related solely to compensation and work conditions I'm all for it. I guess in the scenario you described there was already a hierarchy in place among the docs, which served to provide that organizational structure and negotiating power. Hopefully that is the case in most places.

I just think that if every doctor learned how their own business works, and how they are paid they wouldn't stand for what the CMGs do. Doctors as a whole tend to be relatively ignorant of business practices.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised the govt is more interested in this. If there were no CMGs, they could offer lower compensation while ER docs could get higher hourly rates. It's win-win.

I'm surprised the govt is more interested in this. If there were no CMGs, they could offer lower compensation while ER docs could get higher hourly rates. It's win-win.

Well guess who lobbies congress on your behalf? It's the CMGs via ACEP and NEMPAC who donate to campaigns.

I may be paranoid, but I view it this way:

EM docs ultimately work for/at hospitals. There are thousands of individual business entities that own these hospitals, so they have limited power to dictate wages. It's basically close to a "perfect competition" scenario, with thousands of buyers (hospitals) and tens of thousands of sellers (EM docs). As a result, the wages of these EM docs would naturally gravitate towards what we might consider a "fair" market price given supply, demand, and the artificial driver of government dictated reimbursement.

With the addition of CMGs, you're all of a sudden generating pricing power on the side of the buyers. Now, even though there are still thousands of hospitals who need EM docs, those docs have to go through just a handful of gatekeeper CMGs to find a job. Instead of having thousands of potential employers, doctors now have 5 or 6 total, or maybe even 1 or 2 if looking in a particular city or region. So it's no longer perfect competition, there is now a measure of monopsony.

While it may seem that the CMGs are the only winners here, there is no reason to suppose that they won't share some of these monopsony spoils with the hospitals and the government in order to keep the racket going. For the sake of illustration, let's pretend CMG monopsony power reduces EM docs' hourly rates from 400/hr to 200/hr. CMG then keeps 100/hr and kicks the other 100/hr to the hospital in the form of a stipend or a low-ball contract, which in turn allows hospital to survive on reduced reimbursement, allowing the government to cut reimbursement by the equivalent of 50/hr.

So what has happened here in effect is 1 of the 3 big guys stealing from the 40,000 small guys and giving the other 2 big guys part of the loot to keep them onboard. I'd expect the squeeze to get ever stronger.

Brahnold you're exactly right. They would be squeezing us even more right now, except that the physician shortage is hurting them. They can't get enough staffing in most states, so have to resort to locums companies and private contractors. They cost a lot of money and are eating into their profits. As long as the shortage continues, there will be opportunities for us to squeeze them back. I agree though, that if there's every an over-supply of ED docs, we're cooked.

Brahnold you're exactly right. They would be squeezing us even more right now, except that the physician shortage is hurting them. They can't get enough staffing in most states, so have to resort to locums companies and private contractors. They cost a lot of money and are eating into their profits. As long as the shortage continues, there will be opportunities for us to squeeze them back. I agree though, that if there's every an over-supply of ED docs, we're cooked.

Exactly. And I think what Brahnold describes already happens. See the EmCare - HCA relationship.

For those calling to unionize, I think that is precisely the wrong direction to go. That only reinforces your status as a very replaceable cog in the machine. We hold ourselves up to be professionals, or at least we should. We should never forget that our profession is built on a lot more than just a specific set of skills. Calling to unionize just capitulates to the concept that medicine is nothing more than just another business. Hopefully, most of us still recognize it as more than that. But perhaps my idealism is quaint and unrealistic.

The answer is to vote with your feet. Don't work for a large CMG that takes advantage of you. In some cases, that might mean moving or making other compromises. I know for many, that can be difficult. But if large numbers of physicians continue to accept this arrangement, there is no reason to think that it will get better. We contributed to this mess with our decision making. We can just as easily turn the tide if we are willing to take a stand and make decision that reflect our values.

I think another problem with unionization is that people forget that collective bargaining is only effective when the possibility of collective action (strikes) is on the table. Without collective action, there is no collective bargaining.

How do those who are advocating for us to unionize see an ER doc strike going down? I have a shift scheduled tomorrow, and I don't show up? What happens to the patients who don't get seen? What if there is a bad outcome? Who is liable? You can bet the hospital and CMG will be screaming "patient abandonment!" and they would be right. If a patient who dies in the waiting room is the ER doc's responsibility, how about the patient who died while being diverted to another hospital because of a physician strike?

A construction worker who strikes, at worst, risks losing his job. I risk losing my job, my medical license for patient abandonment (a very expensive asset in itself), requiring me to move to another state, possibly being unable to obtain a license anywhere else, and expose myself to liability for bad outcomes that happened during the strike.

Realistically pulling off a strike by a "CMG Physician's Union" would be next to impossible, and might lead to all sorts of unforeseen circumstances.

You guys do realize that while we might have some say in it, all they're going to do is pay non-ER docs to work in these EDs. Hell, even the FSEDs, when unable to get enough emergency docs, use them. It's ridiculous. If we take a huge chunk of supply out, the void will get filled by midlevels and FM/IM/Whatever. Trust me, the CMGs won't care. They can't get sued, at least not yet. It would be glorious if someone took a malpractice case against a CMG for hiring an unqualified doc to work somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think another problem with unionization is that people forget that collective bargaining is only effective when the possibility of collective action (strikes) is on the table. Without collective action, there is no collective bargaining.

How do those who are advocating for us to unionize see an ER doc strike going down? I have a shift scheduled tomorrow, and I don't show up? What happens to the patients who don't get seen? What if there is a bad outcome? Who is liable? You can bet the hospital and CMG will be screaming "patient abandonment!" and they would be right. If a patient who dies in the waiting room is the ER doc's responsibility, how about the patient who died while being diverted to another hospital because of a physician strike?

A construction worker who strikes, at worst, risks losing his job. I risk losing my job, my medical license for patient abandonment (a very expensive asset in itself), requiring me to move to another state, possibly being unable to obtain a license anywhere else, and expose myself to liability for bad outcomes that happened during the strike.

Realistically pulling off a strike by a "CMG Physician's Union" would be next to impossible, and might lead to all sorts of unforeseen circumstances.
It's not pt abandonment if you never establish a physician/patient relationship. You also can't be held responsible for things that happen when you aren't there. The neurosurgeons in WV went on strike effectively without this becoming a problem.

All the people hammering unions don't remember their history. At the same time, because we aren't physically in danger that much, the union protections wouldn't help us much. What I mean is, without unions, we wouldn't have a 5 day/40hr workweek, worker's comp, or OSHA, and we would still have 12 year olds working in factories. I, for one, would not want to be on the assembly line 16hrs/day 6 days a week, then, when my right arm gets obliquely chopped off across the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers, and through the lateral carpals and the head of the radius, and I get told, "there's the door, and don't bleed on the equipment on your way out!"

Now, for professions, and not technical trades, I see why unions seem unseemly. However, think of AAUP - "American Association of University Professors" - they are unionized. This is their mission statement: "AAUP defends academic freedom and tenure, advocates collegial governance, and develops policies ensuring due process." My best friend is a department chair in one of these union shops. I don't know if they can strike, but, boy howdy, are they kakistrocratic. (That is my contribution vis-a-vis the erudite "monopsony" above.) So, "professions" can unionize successfully. However, in my employed community hospital, I don't know what we would get, beyond systematically, through years if needed, replaced.

Unionization will never work because organizing physicians is like herding cats. How many docs will cross a picket line when a CMG waves a 25% higher hourly rate in front of them?

Medicine in the US is dead.

Short version of Canada vs the US...20% of the malpractice burden, same pay, 10% of the charting burden, once you get out from under US citizenship lower taxes. Same pay. No press ganey type nonsense.

Seriously I feel sorry for you all if you are pit docs back there. I wish I had done this years ago.

Similar opportunities in Australia if you like the warm weather better.

Short version of Canada vs the US...20% of the malpractice burden, same pay, 10% of the charting burden, once you get out from under US citizenship lower taxes. Same pay. No press ganey type nonsense.

Seriously I feel sorry for you all if you are pit docs back there. I wish I had done this years ago.

I've done the math, and even assuming the lowest tax province of Alberta, I'd still pay more in income taxes than I would in the US working in in a no-tax state. I doubt salaries in Canada reach 500-600K USD, but maybe I'm wrong. I have Canadian citizenship so it would be easy for me to transition if needed.

Australia is my plan if things go completely to hell in the US. Can make $400K, better work environment, and better weather. Only downside is taxes are additively about 8-10% higher than the U.S.

I've done the math, and even assuming the lowest tax province of Alberta, I'd still pay more in income taxes than I would in the US working in in a no-tax state. I doubt salaries in Canada reach 500-600K USD, but maybe I'm wrong. I have Canadian citizenship so it would be easy for me to transition if needed.

Australia is my plan if things go completely to hell in the US. Can make $400K, better work environment, and better weather. Only downside is taxes are additively about 8-10% higher than the U.S.
And the crap gun laws there

With regards to moving to Canada or Australia if things get "really bad" in the US, I'm sure that's a common idea among physicians. The problem is if too many actually act on it, which they well might if crap really hits the fan, those two countries have very limited capacity to absorb an onslaught of US docs. Their combined populations are basically the same as California.

With regards to moving to Canada or Australia if things get "really bad" in the US, I'm sure that's a common idea among physicians. The problem is if too many actually act on it, which they well might if crap really hits the fan, those two countries have very limited capacity to absorb an onslaught of US docs. Their combined populations are basically the same as California.
Which is why you get out of dodge before things become too bad...

I disagree. There are a very limited number of U.S. doctors who are mobile enough to move countries. Most have kids/family etc and some just don't want to leave. The actual fraction of EM docs who are willing/able to leave is probably 5% or less.

Is this why CEP is trying to open a bunch more residency programs in CA? I wonder if other big companies are trying to do the same in other places.

Sadly it will probably be too late at that point. Since NHS has cluster****ed up the UK, lots of junior docs there are moving to Oz. Numbers skyrocketing.

Is this why CEP is trying to open a bunch more residency programs in CA? I wonder if other big companies are trying to do the same in other places.

I don't know who is opening up & expanding programs, but somebody is definitely doing it, and at a rapid clip at that. The number of EM spots grew by a couple hundred in just the last 2 or 3 years, and that's not even counting the AOA programs. This really isn't going anywhere good.

All the people hammering unions don't remember their history. At the same time, because we aren't physically in danger that much, the union protections wouldn't help us much. What I mean is, without unions, we wouldn't have a 5 day/40hr workweek, worker's comp, or OSHA, and we would still have 12 year olds working in factories. I, for one, would not want to be on the assembly line 16hrs/day 6 days a week, then, when my right arm gets obliquely chopped off across the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers, and through the lateral carpals and the head of the radius, and I get told, "there's the door, and don't bleed on the equipment on your way out!"

Now, for professions, and not technical trades, I see why unions seem unseemly. However, think of AAUP - "American Association of University Professors" - they are unionized. This is their mission statement: "AAUP defends academic freedom and tenure, advocates collegial governance, and develops policies ensuring due process." My best friend is a department chair in one of these union shops. I don't know if they can strike, but, boy howdy, are they kakistrocratic. (That is my contribution vis-a-vis the erudite "monopsony" above.) So, "professions" can unionize successfully. However, in my employed community hospital, I don't know what we would get, beyond systematically, through years if needed, replaced.
A profession, by definition, wields specialized knowledge after extensive focused education and by virtue of that status is allowed to self-police. The corollary is that unionization would eliminate what little self-determination we have.

Earlier poster hit the nail on the head: collective bargaining is only effective with the threat of collective action... and our ethics preclude that avenue. As ethical codes are one of the bedrocks that define a profession, to violate them would be tantamount to invalidating this status.

Furthermore, unionizing would open us up to a whole bevy of federal regulations that, for as onerous as the current regulations are, would make our current situation look like a Sunday picnic in comparison.

What we need, IMHO, is not a union; but rather to take back our professional (trade) associations that seem more interested in begging for goverental table scraps and less inclined towards advancing an agenda of true reform.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Reactions: 3 users
Our ethics, and our altruism have killed us. As far as I'm concerned if we're employees and not in control of our own jobs, then our ethics should not hold us back. We should be free to strike as needed in order to try and keep some amount of control over our profession.

Our ethics, and our altruism have killed us. As far as I'm concerned if we're employees and not in control of our own jobs, then our ethics should not hold us back. We should be free to strike as needed in order to try and keep some amount of control over our profession.
I don't disagree with your first sentence, not at all.

The remainder, however, would result in us no longer being a profession, pure & simple. Highly trained & valuable individuals of great societal import? Absolutely. Professionals? Not in the least.

Now, rewrite the Code of Ethics to allow it and we retain professional status... but this goes back to my earlier comment regarding the alphabet soup of our trade organizations - there's no impetus to do such a thing as the uppity-ups in said groups are too milk drunk from Uncle Sam's teat.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Dear CEO of (insert large CMG group)-

You have won. Your company, combined with the other 6 largest companies staffing Emergency Medicine have successfully conquered our specialty, and taken the vast majority of us as your workers. You have dominated the hospital marketplaces, masterfully combined with other specialty groups - Hospitalists, Anesthesia, Radiology - and have started to make unimaginable profits by combining your divisions, spinoffs, group acquisitions, and even each other into an unstoppable negotiating force based on economy of scale. You outbid, outcompete, and defeat all competitors vying for the majority of hospital contracts in the country. Some of you have even combined with the very hospitals you staff, and grow unimaginable joint ventures. You are truly masters of the universe, and have batted away all competition through business maneuvers and buyouts.

Because of your triumph, hospitals now have no choice but to invite you to sit at their table every time a contract group is up for bid, and allow you to give your presentation for why your company is better than any other group bidding for the same contract. You have even become masters at bidding against each other, with the hopes that a few small maneuvers or promises to hospital administrators will give you the edge to reap the profits from the work of your providers, and increase your dominance in the marketplace. From a business perspective, you are savvy, adaptable, and able to say whatever you need to get the contract you want. Because of you, the business of medicine has come a long way. Some of you, as CMG CEO's are even physicians yourselves.

I am humbled to write this letter to you, because not only do I work for you, I am part of your success, and I thank you for the opportunity to see my specialty change. It is this reason that I write this letter to you, and ask that you consider your dominance in the Emergency Medicine world, and begin to use it for reasons beyond earning your profits, but to enhance your profits, by gaining the loyalty of your providers.

Winning, managing and directing a contract is clockwork for you. Win the bid, schedule a transition date, figure out who you need to hire (and how to hire them), contract some doctors, and make a schedule. Find a leader that administration likes and have them run things for you on the ground, and presto - a new "local group" is born. I urge you, now, to consider the most important part of your mission, which is the retention of the shiny new contract you have just acquired. You see, every step from bid to group is done by your team, on your terms, and based on what the administration wants they are your customer, and you are their whipping boy.

Not one part of what you do to gain a contract actually involves the TEAM that will be put on the ground to keep the contract for you. They are hired, paid a meager hourly rate for putting their liability on the line, sacrificing their friends, families, holidays, weekends, nights, and vacations to keep their "job," while ensuring that you have a staffed schedule, a happy hospital administrator, and of course, metrics that keep you competitive. Not a single physician you employ or contract went to medical school with the eventual hopes of working an hourly rate they don't control, being graded for patient satisfaction, seeing as many patients as they can, and doing it as fast as they can while facing an endless list of core measure requirements. Your physicians do this because it's part of the job, and sadly, a series of obstacles that they must jump through, knock down and run around simply to care for their - YOUR - patients.

I am not writing this to whine, or ask for sympathy, but actually to present a business case that may give you the ability to completely give you stability, market value, physician loyalty, and a new model of practice in today's changing environment. You see, you have the keys to the kingdom.

As a contract management group with dominant market control and economy of scale, with the majority of Emergency Physicians in our nation, it is time you collectively joined to set the expectations of your sector. In ways no different than OPEC, you control the inflow and outflow of your oil. Why do you tolerate the potential loss of a contract because a local cardiologist at one of your hospitals does not like a physician because they don't speak fluent english? Why does an Emergency Medicine provider group have to displace their homes and their families because the anesthesia group contracted as a "bundle" with them isn't liked by the general surgeon?

The very fear you aim to avoid - the loss of business by losing a contract - is ironically something you are completely in the driver seat to control. Hospitals need Emergency Physicians, and more and more they need residency-trained and board-certified physicians. There are not enough of us to fill their ED's. Why do you and your competitors continue to permit your companies to be dictated by the people who need you? You don't need hospitals to hire you. You should set the price, you should make your terms, and define the rules of the game as a sector, as a market, and in collaboration with your competitors.

The NFL has several different teams, all of whom compete with each other, but have each agreed to be bound to the same rules on any field they play. The coaches and players may change, but the rules stay the same. If they are broken, there are penalties, sanctions, and suspensions. Even terminations. As physicians we have clinical guidelines, or rules that we practice by. Hospitals have their rules for kickbacks, inspections, and regulations. Why don't Emergency Medicine contract groups set their own rules?

Mr/Ms CEO, this is an opportunity for you and your fellow CEO's to seize the day and begin to negotiate on your terms, on the terms of your physicians that you hire, and for the patients they represent and treat. Join together, and set your own rules. Tell the national healthcare system that you own the controlling interest of all Emergency Physicians and speak on their behalf, as a sector - not as an individual company. Not as a college such as ACEP, but as an industry no longer willing to tolerate the abusive corporate process of contract competition.

If the leaders of Emcare, Teamhealth, Schumacher, ApolloMD, Hospital Physician Partners, Sheridan, CEP, EMP, etc unite, the industry of healthcare can only be strengthened while preserving individual corporate competition. Set the ground rules for your sport, and adhere to them as your own NFL, with each company following the same guidelines. Consider each hospital your playing field, subject to the same game rules as the rest of the league:

1) 1 year annual term contacts will no longer be accepted - 5 years minimum without a 90-day out clause. A good marriage has to make it work.

2) A new hospital administrative team cannot terminate your contract because they like another group. Good old boy connections and modern medical business can no longer exist.

3) Reimbursement will not be tied to physician metrics, but to provider compensation and volume. Don't hold the top 1% of intelligence, education, and training responsible for your inability staff radiology for a 30 minute X-ray read.

4) Hospitals will provide nursing resources, equipment, and throughput processes as basic requirements of your staffing. This means a true 4 to 1 nursing ratio, a fixed 2 to 1 critical patient ratio, and a system the prevents nursing callouts.

5) Provider metrics will be based solely on the provider's performance, and not the combined performance of the hospital department.

6) Emergency Physicians may not lose their contract due to termination of another contracted entity. If the hospitalist group is not pulling their weight, and they happen to be tied to the same contract as the ED, the ED physician is not to blame.

7) The Emergency Physician group will be the only deciding factor controlling the quality of their applicants. We know medicine, we know doctors, and we know risk - better than a medical staff office or hospital administrator.

8) Add any other areas you wish that commonly results in provider dissatisfaction, attrition, contract loss, increased group cot due to staffing requests, and other arbitrary business-damaging reasons.

Collectively, CMG's have more power than the hospitals that need to hire them. Wield your power for good and take away the hospital's ability to destroy your reputation, remove faith from your providers, and erode the foundation of our specialty. Stand up and say no. Empower yourselves and your providers and bring fairness, equity, and medicine back into healthcare. Create a doctrine for the business of Emergency Medicine and set and industry standard that no hospital can defeat, in your favor. If the hospital can't find a company to staff their department, and everyone plays by the same rules, it won't be long before you are in control.

The hospitals need you exponentially more than you need them. Please take our speciality back, and put it in the hands of the physicians that make your corporation possible.

Signed,

Emergency Physician.
Although I share the sentiment 100%, reasoning in such fashion with businessmen is futile. You have zero clout, zero leverage. Emergency Physicians has surrendered all autonomy. If you feel like an under appreciated, easily replaceable (albeit, well paid) hourly worker, it's because you are. I could only stand about a decade of it. I got out of the ED and have much more, although not total, autonomy. I don't need to work in an ED anymore to make an EM physician's salary. But for those who love the ED, and need to work in an ED to be happy, my advice is to seek out employed status, en mass, and join the physician union. (Contrary to popular belief it is NOT illegal for employee physicians to unionize. But you have to be "employed status.") Unless physicians either find a way out of hospital-based, hospital-dependent medicine, the only shred of hope to feel remotely empowered, and not treated like a cardboard cutout, is to adopt hard nosed, no-more-Mr-Nice-Guy tactics of a union. Because Emergency Medicine...Will. Not. Ever. Change. Same s**t, same game, every valley, every mountaintop, every day.

Either:

A-Walk away (highly recommended for piece of mind, physician and mental well being),

B-Unionize and ruthlessly bust management knee caps (metaphorically, of course), or

C-Suck it up.

#BirdstrikeTruthInjection

Although I share the sentiment 100%, reasoning in such fashion with businessmen is futile. You have zero clout, zero leverage. Emergency Physicians has surrendered all autonomy. If you feel like an under appreciated, easily replaceable (albeit, well paid) hourly worker, it's because you are. I could only stand about a decade of it. I got out of the ED and have much more, although not total, autonomy. I don't need to work in an ED anymore to make an EM physician's salary. But for those who love the ED, and need to work in an ED to be happy, my advice is to seek out employed status, en mass, and join the physician union. (Contrary to popular belief it is NOT illegal for employee physicians to unionize. But you have to be "employed status.") Unless physicians either find a way out of hospital-based, hospital-dependent medicine, the only shred of hope to feel remotely empowered, and not treated like a cardboard cutout, is to adopt hard nosed, no-more-Mr-Nice-Guy tactics of a union. Because Emergency Medicine...Will. Not. Ever. Change. Same s**t, same game, every valley, every mountaintop, every day.

Either:

A-Walk away (highly recommended for piece of mind, physician and mental well being),

B-Unionize and ruthlessly bust management knee caps (metaphorically, of course), or

C-Suck it up.

#BirdstrikeTruthInjection

I dunno, Veers' story above about a small group of EPs uniting to say no in a non-uniony way was pretty inspiring. Why is this not generalizable for us as a fourth option?

I dunno, Veers' story above about a small group of EPs uniting to say no in a non-uniony way was pretty inspiring. Why is this not generalizable for us as a fourth option?
It is, but those all get swallowed up by CMGs in the end.

Managed by nurses....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tainable-says-manitoba-nurses-union-1.3558222

It is important to note that it is tough for some people to move. Work isnt #1. I had to move to avoid the wrath of the CMG. I think what is saddest are the folks that buy in to the CMGs. Like sheep after a frontal lobotomy. People giving up their time and effort for no pay to empower the CMG and make it appear better to the hospital admin. These zombie like figures with no souls or intellect are a huge part of the problem.

Last edited: