UnitedHealth CEO Murdered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Look at us spending insane resources to keep a 22 weeker alive. Long term quality of life is trash. Cost is insane. Imagine spending a year or more in an ICU. We havent accepted letting it go. We dont appreciate the cost and the total waste of money much of this is.
We need to start treating each other like we treat our dogs. Man’s best friend. We have no problem doing the right thing for our pets, even if it’s difficult, so they aren’t suffering yet we don’t do the same for each other.
 
Not to mention the pain in the butt process of having to call the hospitals & insurance companies just to get my bill corrected. I have been sent medical bills for services that should be covered but I have to call the 800 numbers just to remind the health system or hospital that I actually don't owe this amount. This seems to happen far too frequently and the process can be infuriating. I am a doctor who happens to have some weekday mornings off to navigate the system. I have to tell you, it is extremely frustrating and feels intentionally confusing. I can't imagine what this process must feel like to a non-medical retired person on a fixed income or a person who has a M-F, 9-5 job.

I obviously don't condone any killing but rightfully or not, it seems the public has made this CEO the face of all of America's frustrations with the current dysfunctional health care system.
I agree. I was the “victim” of balance billing. My kid was born in a hospital I work at. I had been there about a year. Some tech came to do a hearing screening on my newborn. Didn’t think anything of it. Turns out the audiologist worked for Pediatrix and were OON and they wanted some stupid bit of money. I was pretty knowledgeable about billing and coding stuff. I could have made it ugly but being in the middle sucked bad. I cant remember the amount but it wasnt huge but it’s frustrating.
 
We need to start treating each other like we treat our dogs. Man’s best friend. We have no problem doing the right thing for our pets, even if it’s difficult, so they aren’t suffering yet we don’t do the same for each other.
I couldn't afford to get three more months out of our little guy, and we had to euthanize him.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
False equivalence. What care does United and their profits bring to the table? Are they at the bedside? Are they providing material support like EVS, pharmacy, etc?
Nope... they move money around and skim from the top. ...but we can't have a single payer system because socialism...
Not quite.. i agree that insurance in this form is a mess. That being said they protect you financially which is the point of insurance. I mean what has my life insurance in done for me. I pay and pay and pay. The purpose is to prevent catastrophe. Thats my 2 cents. If I incur 100k in medical bills they cover much of it. I can assure you i am not a fan of UHG nor the other insurers. UHG is the bottom dweller in terms of their behavior and I would have said that before they killed this dude. What we expect from our insurance in the US is stupid. Need routine care.. Insurance for the win.. it’s dumb.. Again hospitals and doctors are complicit. Look at the billed charges of a screening colonoscopy. Anesthesia doesnt mind charging you an arm and a leg for a noctor to sedate you. They charge as if it’s a real doctor. Minimal complaining about that. The ED is the same. Send in the noctor to take care of septic granny. It’s cool though cause i get those RVUs.

Single payer.. nah fam.. Medicare is already trying to gut us.. imagine if we didnt have a choice. In EM we dont.. but truth be told we benefit from the PCPs and hospitals pushing back cause no one gives a crap about what us EM docs have to say cause EMTALA.
 
Robin Hood was likely an amalgamation of several period bandits who righted wrongs as he saw fit. Still "real".

Zorro was Joaquin Murrieta IRL. Sure, it's hard to say what was real and what was myth; but we all know that truth really is stranger than fiction.

My point stands. I'll push further.

Anyone here been in a proper fight? A real one, as an adult? Anyone here know what it's like to throw punches and grapple? I do. I'd do it again if I needed to.

People on here say "they would kill for their family", but in reality they probably wouldn't have to kill, but they would have to at least fight.

Would you? Would you know how? Think that one thru. It's not like you see in the movies or on TV.

This CEO was the captain of the ship that hurt not just one person's family, but probably hundreds of thousands.

Keep thinking it thru.
 
Robin Hood was likely an amalgamation of several period bandits who righted wrongs as he saw fit. Still "real".

Zorro was Joaquin Murrieta IRL. Sure, it's hard to say what was real and what was myth; but we all know that truth really is stranger than fiction.

My point stands. I'll push further.

Anyone here been in a proper fight? A real one, as an adult? Anyone here know what it's like to throw punches and grapple? I do. I'd do it again if I needed to.

People on here say "they would kill for their family", but in reality they probably wouldn't have to kill, but they would have to at least fight.

Would you? Would you know how? Think that one thru. It's not like you see in the movies or on TV.

This CEO was the captain of the ship that hurt not just one person's family, but probably hundreds of thousands.

Keep thinking it thru.
I have.. Grew up in circumstances that required fighting. I don't start fights but I would. Havent been in one for a while. That being said this dude just executes the plan put forth but the BOD and shareholders. The next one may be different but not because of anything other than this may serve as a Libby zion moment.. i think though more likely the momentum dies, we move onto the next thing and its back to the status quo. I truly hope its not the case but it is much more likely than not. Lots of talk.. minimal meaningful action then nothing.

note UHG didn't even offer money to pump the reward. $22B in profit. putting out a $1m bounty would be a tiny drop.. yet nothing..
 
I have.. Grew up in circumstances that required fighting. I don't start fights but I would. Havent been in one for a while. That being said this dude just executes the plan put forth but the BOD and shareholders. The next one may be different but not because of anything other than this may serve as a Libby zion moment.. i think though more likely the momentum dies, we move onto the next thing and its back to the status quo. I truly hope its not the case but it is much more likely than not. Lots of talk.. minimal meaningful action then nothing.

note UHG didn't even offer money to pump the reward. $22B in profit. putting out a $1m bounty would be a tiny drop.. yet nothing..

Good. (Well, not good but) you can follow my logic.

This guy was as close as you could get to an IRL supervillain. You make him out to be so passive. I'm no business type, but I'm guessing he does more than just follow orders from the BOD/shareholders.

He harmed a lot of people.
He got taken out; and not for no good reason.
 
Not quite.. i agree that insurance in this form is a mess. That being said they protect you financially which is the point of insurance. I mean what has my life insurance in done for me. I pay and pay and pay. The purpose is to prevent catastrophe. Thats my 2 cents. If I incur 100k in medical bills they cover much of it. I can assure you i am not a fan of UHG nor the other insurers. UHG is the bottom dweller in terms of their behavior and I would have said that before they killed this dude. What we expect from our insurance in the US is stupid. Need routine care.. Insurance for the win.. it’s dumb.. Again hospitals and doctors are complicit. Look at the billed charges of a screening colonoscopy. Anesthesia doesnt mind charging you an arm and a leg for a noctor to sedate you. They charge as if it’s a real doctor. Minimal complaining about that. The ED is the same. Send in the noctor to take care of septic granny. It’s cool though cause i get those RVUs.

Single payer.. nah fam.. Medicare is already trying to gut us.. imagine if we didnt have a choice. In EM we dont.. but truth be told we benefit from the PCPs and hospitals pushing back cause no one gives a crap about what us EM docs have to say cause EMTALA.

We could always either limit profits OR move towards a member owned system. For stocks, Vanguard is a perfect example. Vanguard is a private, technically for profit company… but their owners are the people who own shares of their products, so they’re incentivized to lower their expense ratios as much as possible and return as much as possible to their shares.

Theoretically this is where the health sharing should come in… however they generally don’t cover mental health, chemo, or long term care.


While I do agree that it would be better if health insurance didn’t cover everything, the employee based insurance system started as a way around wage caps during WW2 and stays incentivized due to tax breaks. Also it’s cheaper to pay an ounce of prevention.

Car insurance is supposed to be for accidents, but they’ll often cover window damage completely… because it’s better to replace a window on the cheap than the entire car because of decreased vision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We could always either limit profits OR move towards a member owned system. For stocks, Vanguard is a perfect example. Vanguard is a private, technically for profit company… but their owners are the people who own shares of their products, so they’re incentivized to lower their expense ratios as much as possible and return as much as possible to their shares.

Theoretically this is where the health sharing should come in… however they generally don’t cover mental health, chemo, or long term care.


While I do agree that it would be better if health insurance didn’t cover everything, the employee based insurance system started as a way around wage caps during WW2 and stays incentivized due to tax breaks. Also it’s cheaper to pay an ounce of prevention.

Car insurance is supposed to be for accidents, but they’ll often cover window damage completely… because it’s better to replace a window on the cheap than the entire car because of decreased vision.
I disagree on the car analogy.

At some point cars become old and too expensive to maintain compared to their worth so they’re shipped off to the junkyard… this clearly isn’t in line with the way we think about humans
 
I disagree on the car analogy.

At some point cars become old and too expensive to maintain compared to their worth so they’re shipped off to the junkyard… this clearly isn’t in line with the way we think about humans
Sure...

...because if we said, "Hey, you make 60k a year, so we're only going to pay, say, 120k total expense because you're only worth so much" people would throw a fit. I think it's morally wrong to compare "cost to fix vs value" of a car to "cost to fix vs value to society" of a human.

If we're going to go down this route, why even have social security, SSDI, medicare, and medicaid?
 
Note part of obamacare tried this. insurers had to spend 85% of their premiums on care. Thereby limiting profits cause there is a cost of the CEO, and all the people they hire... but what did they do? PBMs baby.. Same overall profit for the company just shuffled into whatever silo makes the most business sense.

hence the recent article that showed optum pays its physicians (really not the docs but the docs employers) more than it does for non UHG docs/groups.

Here is the deal. As a patient when you are fully disconnected from the cost of care your decision is always "I want more". Why wouldn't you?

imagine going to a restaurant and you could get A5 japanese wagyu for the same price as a big mac. You pick..

Probably a better analogy is you could get bottled water or tap water and they are the same price (lets say free). 99% of people are taking the bottle. The disconnect is real and is the problem. i think we have a lifetime cap on medicare. If you don't spend it half of it goes to your family when you die.

For example lets say the avg medicare beneficiary spends 250k during their time on medicare. (A quick search showed 223k, so my guess was pretty good). You get lifetime spending of 350k. After that you are on your own or you can buy some other insurance if you want. But medicare spending will be capped.

If you only spend 200k your family gets 75k and the government keeps 75k (by not spending it).

This would lead to you being able to price shop. No pre-auth nonsense etc. If you die without spending a penny then your family gets 125k.

The numbers don't seem to make sense do they? However I would bet most people would behave differently which would save money. Families would think twice before keeping their GCS 3 family member alive. Our spending is very much skewed. While the mean spending is 223k the median is lower.


For survivors to age 85, more than one-third of their lifetime expenditures will accrue in their remaining years.

We also know a significant amount of spending (reportedly 50%) of health spending is in the first and last year (or 6 months, I cant recall) of life.
 
I’m looking at things through my ER lens I guess.

1) I don’t like vigilante justice just like Batman/Superman never kill
2) if people could have it their way, they would get every test, treatment, medication, procedure under the sun even if it had a 0.0001% chance of working.

In an imperfect system with finite resources and a population that doesn’t respect that, what would be the ideal system? A genuine question not meant to be inflammatory.

That's the role of the treating physicians, is it not?

"If people could have it their way", you say, but do we give people everything they want? No, we treat people appropriately based on our clinical knowledge.

Is there a role for another layer of the system which ensures physicians are acting adequately? Sure, but that layer should not stand to profit directly off denying the care recommended by the physicians at the bedside.
 
Not quite.. i agree that insurance in this form is a mess. That being said they protect you financially which is the point of insurance. I mean what has my life insurance in done for me. I pay and pay and pay. The purpose is to prevent catastrophe. Thats my 2 cents. If I incur 100k in medical bills they cover much of it. I can assure you i am not a fan of UHG nor the other insurers. UHG is the bottom dweller in terms of their behavior and I would have said that before they killed this dude. What we expect from our insurance in the US is stupid. Need routine care.. Insurance for the win.. it’s dumb.. Again hospitals and doctors are complicit. Look at the billed charges of a screening colonoscopy. Anesthesia doesnt mind charging you an arm and a leg for a noctor to sedate you. They charge as if it’s a real doctor. Minimal complaining about that. The ED is the same. Send in the noctor to take care of septic granny. It’s cool though cause i get those RVUs.

Single payer.. nah fam.. Medicare is already trying to gut us.. imagine if we didnt have a choice. In EM we dont.. but truth be told we benefit from the PCPs and hospitals pushing back cause no one gives a crap about what us EM docs have to say cause EMTALA.

I don't really follow your train of thought.

Your first paragraph lays out the status quo as: 1) The healthcare system charges a lot of money for non-groundbreaking stuff (e.g. colonoscopies), 2) this cost makes it impossible for regular folks to pay out of hand without insurance, 3) insurance must therefore be used for all care. But then in your second paragraph you mention that approaches which decrease costs (e.g. Medicare) are a no-go.

Two things go unsaid in your post:

1. Taking into account deductibles, copays, and co-insurance, the typical health insurance patient is actually currently paying for routine care out of hand like you want them to.

2. If the typical health insurance patient had to also pay out of hand for more significant care (e.g. colonoscopies), physician compensation would have to come down.

I know you say things are a mess, but you are still underselling how bad things are for the average person. The reality is that your typical health insurance patient is paying all-inclusive prices for catastrophic coverage that may not actually cover them in a catastrophe.

And the sad thing in all of this is that as terrible as things are, if the insurers could just keep their end of the bargain and not fight a battle of attrition with their customers for the service they are ostensibly providing, then they could still get away with insane profits and society wouldn't hate healthcare at large.
 
Han Solo is the only one made up.
By your logic, the docs who do the actual denials in these companies should be targeted next becuase with this comparison of supervillain (hilter) the docs would be the SS right? As a physician advisor I've had docs deny stays, SNF, rehab, etc on the phone. They were directly responsible. And I get the whole Insurance is bad argument and I am not defending it but the comparison to Han Solo is bull****. Han Solo was trying to get laid/paid and got roped into some crap. His whole motivation was that sweet princess and some coin.

Is the plan to go Old Testament and start doing Eye for an Eye next?
 
By your logic, the docs who do the actual denials in these companies should be targeted next becuase with this comparison of supervillain (hilter) the docs would be the SS right? As a physician advisor I've had docs deny stays, SNF, rehab, etc on the phone. They were directly responsible. And I get the whole Insurance is bad argument and I am not defending it but the comparison to Han Solo is bull****. Han Solo was trying to get laid/paid and got roped into some crap. His whole motivation was that sweet princess and some coin.

Is the plan to go Old Testament and start doing Eye for an Eye next?

I wonder who those docs doing the denying are taking their orders from? Shoot that guy.

Let's see if those docs have their marching orders changed.

Solo gunned down Greedo. Solo would have gunned down a CEO just because.

FvEy3JEX0AATyOh.jpg
 
That's the role of the treating physicians, is it not?

"If people could have it their way", you say, but do we give people everything they want? No, we treat people appropriately based on our clinical knowledge.

Is there a role for another layer of the system which ensures physicians are acting adequately? Sure, but that layer should not stand to profit directly off denying the care recommended by the physicians at the bedside.
I wrote this long thing and knew we would just go back and forth because you assume ideal actors in an ideal system. There isn't enough money in the system to do the things that everyone thinks is the right thing was the point. We can't get everyone to agree on the right thing either. Who pays for it and who gets to decide how it is distributed. Society so far has come up with this as the solution that has been widely used.
 
I wonder who those docs doing the denying are taking their orders from? Shoot that guy.

Let's see if those docs have their marching orders changed.

Solo gunned down Greedo. Solo would have gunned down a CEO just because.

View attachment 396091
Actually they deny because they want to. I've become friends with a few of the guys I talked to on the phone and they don't get incentivized contrary to popular belief. One of them I went out for drinks with. He approved some and denied some.

I know it sounds like a cool conspiracy. Since the docs are the soldiers who are taking orders would you defend their murder? I really wanna know.

Don't make solo better than he was. He redeemed himself when he died at Kylo Ren's hands.
 
Actually they deny because they want to. I've become friends with a few of the guys I talked to on the phone and they don't get incentivized contrary to popular belief. One of them I went out for drinks with. He approved some and denied some.

Between me, my dad, and my wife - I've seen so much ridiculous stuff denied that the probability of someone doing the right thing because they want to is vanishingly small.

I know it sounds like a cool conspiracy. Since the docs are the soldiers who are taking orders would you defend their murder? I really wanna know.

Maybe. Depends. Pretty sure a message was sent with this dead CEO. Had to happen because all other reasonable methods had been exhausted. BCBS backed off their anesthesia trip. Let's see what else happens.

Don't make solo better than he was. He redeemed himself when he died at Kylo Ren's hands.

Solo may have gotten roped in because "money, cash, hoes" but then made his character clear. He had his money and could have boogied, but rolled back into battle for his boy Luke and because eff the galactic empire.
Nothing that Disney wrote matters. Awful movies.


Bottom line: They can pay for it. They just don't want to. That has to end. Insurance has become worthless. "Eff the Insurance Empire".
 
I don't really follow your train of thought.

Your first paragraph lays out the status quo as: 1) The healthcare system charges a lot of money for non-groundbreaking stuff (e.g. colonoscopies), 2) this cost makes it impossible for regular folks to pay out of hand without insurance, 3) insurance must therefore be used for all care. But then in your second paragraph you mention that approaches which decrease costs (e.g. Medicare) are a no-go.

Two things go unsaid in your post:

1. Taking into account deductibles, copays, and co-insurance, the typical health insurance patient is actually currently paying for routine care out of hand like you want them to.

2. If the typical health insurance patient had to also pay out of hand for more significant care (e.g. colonoscopies), physician compensation would have to come down.

I know you say things are a mess, but you are still underselling how bad things are for the average person. The reality is that your typical health insurance patient is paying all-inclusive prices for catastrophic coverage that may not actually cover them in a catastrophe.

And the sad thing in all of this is that as terrible as things are, if the insurers could just keep their end of the bargain and not fight a battle of attrition with their customers for the service they are ostensibly providing, then they could still get away with insane profits and society wouldn't hate healthcare at large.
These convos are hard cause they are quite complex with multiple layers. Overall, i would say in an ideal system docs ARE totally overpaid. IN our system we are underpaid. Med school loans of 300k and giving up years of your life require a hefty payback. Dump the NP/PAs and make way way more doctors. It’s cheaper overall and better. The avg doc will be dumber but I think it’s ok. They wont be dumber than your above avg NP.

Costs have to be reigned in. I suspect more than a little of that is due to EMTALA and the for profit hospitals / providers. Why are drugs so much more here than elsewhere?

Solve those few issues and voila you cut costs like crazy. The middle management needs to go. All of it. DEI.. gone.. anything that doesnt impact patient care needs to be cut the way to do that is to pay hospitals less and force them to get away from nonsense spending.

Force physicians to consider costs in their care. Remove patient satisfaction nonsense, fix med mal.

Each of these individually are incredibly complex but you dont have an intertwined complex system and have simple solutions that would work.

Your typical health insurance patient very much depends on who the employer is. A friend of mine had a baby earlier this year and paid $25 for all visits including delivery and epidural.

Many people have deductibles of 2k.. thats not enough to cover much in this world of healthcare.

Us rich doctors on here have HDHP but while it is more common most people dont have 7/14k plans.
 
1. Taking into account deductibles, copays, and co-insurance, the typical health insurance patient is actually currently paying for routine care out of hand like you want them to.

2. If the typical health insurance patient had to also pay out of hand for more significant care (e.g. colonoscopies), physician compensation would have to come down.

To strong man the other side...
1. Without insurance paying for routine care, physicians and centers wouldn't have to spend as much on administration/billing, thereby decreasing costs that could hopefully be passed on to the patient without affecting physician reimbursement. Less money in, but less practice costs.

2. A significant amount of insurance premiums are paid for by employers. COBRA coverage, for example, isn't expensive... it's just the combined employer/employee cost for insurance. From a cost basis only, if the employers were not paying for insurance, in a system of rational actors, that money would be passed along to the employees... who would then save the money for coverage of coverage and out of pocket preventative care.


Now stop laughing at the concept that any aspect of the US health care system is rational.
 
Between me, my dad, and my wife - I've seen so much ridiculous stuff denied that the probability of someone doing the right thing because they want to is vanishingly small.



Maybe. Depends. Pretty sure a message was sent with this dead CEO. Had to happen because all other reasonable methods had been exhausted. BCBS backed off their anesthesia trip. Let's see what else happens.



Solo may have gotten roped in because "money, cash, hoes" but then made his character clear. He had his money and could have boogied, but rolled back into battle for his boy Luke and because eff the galactic empire.
Nothing that Disney wrote matters. Awful movies.


Bottom line: They can pay for it. They just don't want to. That has to end. Insurance has become worthless. "Eff the Insurance Empire".
Regardless of what the edgelords of reddit claim the bad PR caused them to back off due to the timing. They weren't afraid that Healthcare John Wick was coming for them. PR messes with stock price and spooks investors.

I think switching insurance companies or paying out of pocket like the Amish is another alternative versus the mass killing of people. But you do you man.

I've had some really bad health conditions happen with alot of experimental meds required with whacky combos and I can tell you I have had a pretty positive experience thus far with the two insruances I have gone though. I would be broke without them right now.

He came back for that princess @ss.

What else you got to replace insurance? Private tiered system? UK system or Canadian system? WIth my conditions I would be in hospice in my ethnic homeland or be told to go to "America" for treatment.
 
These convos are hard cause they are quite complex with multiple layers. Overall, i would say in an ideal system docs ARE totally overpaid. IN our system we are underpaid. Med school loans of 300k and giving up years of your life require a hefty payback. Dump the NP/PAs and make way way more doctors. It’s cheaper overall and better. The avg doc will be dumber but I think it’s ok. They wont be dumber than your above avg NP.

Costs have to be reigned in. I suspect more than a little of that is due to EMTALA and the for profit hospitals / providers. Why are drugs so much more here than elsewhere?

Solve those few issues and voila you cut costs like crazy. The middle management needs to go. All of it. DEI.. gone.. anything that doesnt impact patient care needs to be cut the way to do that is to pay hospitals less and force them to get away from nonsense spending.

Force physicians to consider costs in their care. Remove patient satisfaction nonsense, fix med mal.

Each of these individually are incredibly complex but you dont have an intertwined complex system and have simple solutions that would work.

Your typical health insurance patient very much depends on who the employer is. A friend of mine had a baby earlier this year and paid $25 for all visits including delivery and epidural.

Many people have deductibles of 2k.. thats not enough to cover much in this world of healthcare.

Us rich doctors on here have HDHP but while it is more common most people dont have 7/14k plans.
Completely agree with these two points. Couldn't state them better. In the UK system docs are paid less. All the European utopias we salivate over have lower doc salaries and better residency hours too top it off. Get rid of middle management at all levels including the hospitals.
 
Regardless of what the edgelords of reddit claim the bad PR caused them to back off due to the timing. They weren't afraid that Healthcare John Wick was coming for them. PR messes with stock price and spooks investors.

We need a healthcare John Wick.

I think switching insurance companies or paying out of pocket like the Amish is another alternative versus the mass killing of people. But you do you man.

Mass killing? Nah. Just one so far. You can swap insurers, but it's the same ballgame, maybe a little easier to play. The game has gotta be over.

I've had some really bad health conditions happen with alot of experimental meds required with whacky combos and I can tell you I have had a pretty positive experience thus far with the two insruances I have gone though. I would be broke without them right now.

Good for you, honestly. I haven't had the same experience. Neither have zillions of other people all making it easily known that this guy won't be missed.

He came back for that princess @ss.

Nah. She was still all pissy at him on Hoth until the kiss. Han is a true ride-or-die bro.

What else you got to replace insurance? Private tiered system? UK system or Canadian system? WIth my conditions I would be in hospice in my ethnic homeland or be told to go to "America" for treatment.

To replace insurance? Honest insurance. Insurers who pay what they owe. See my far earlier comment about acting ethically and responsibily when being given great power.

80 billion a quarter. Billion with a "B".
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any data that private health insurance companies would lose money if they never denied any claim at all?
I mean more expenditure means more money spent.. less money spent = more profit. I can assure you they know how much money they make to pay people to deny claims.. No reason to share it publicly.
 
I mean more expenditure means more money spent.. less money spent = more profit. I can assure you they know how much money they make to pay people to deny claims.. No reason to share it publicly.

Well this is a duh...take it one step further. can't defend 22B profit on 290B revenue (~8% profit margin). would the companies go bankrupt if they denies no claims. or would they make 0.1% profit or 1% profit. That's the question. I'm aware that this is not easily accrued data.

these health insurance companies need to be regulated utilities, or we just need to dump insurance and pay out of pocket for everything but disaster health care insurance.
 
Well this is a duh...take it one step further. can't defend 22B profit on 290B revenue (~8% profit margin). would the companies go bankrupt if they denies no claims. or would they make 0.1% profit or 1% profit. That's the question. I'm aware that this is not easily accrued data.

these health insurance companies need to be regulated utilities, or we just need to dump insurance and pay out of pocket for everything but disaster health care insurance.
Your point I get.. that being said revenue is closer to $370B.. Not all of that revenue comes from health insurance. you are right.. it would cut their profits.. who knows how much.. They are simply playing the game that is out there. Reform the game or IMO stop complaining. That they play it better than others is a testament to their skills and hiring. We dont like it but it’s what it is.

If you were an ED doc and made $200/hr but another imaginary doc does the exact same work but makes $400/hr.. is that doc who makes $400/hr a bad guy? Or is the whole system bad?
 
The mental health angle is already revving up. Oddly also no comments out there (The internet) for gun control.
 
The mental health angle is already revving up. Oddly also no comments out there (The internet) for gun control.

I mean how would any type of feasible gun control have solved this? The guy seems to have had no violent or criminal history, was of the legal age to purchase a handgun in basically all states and could have accomplished the same thing with a 100 year old revolver...it's not like regulating semi-automatic rifle purchases or high capacity magazines or bump stocks or something would have done anything in this case.

It's going to be a big to-do about the whole "ghost gun" phenomenon since that's what he ended up using but the Justice Department and FBI have been warning about this for a while now and there have already been regulations about this so far.
 
Your point I get.. that being said revenue is closer to $370B.. Not all of that revenue comes from health insurance. you are right.. it would cut their profits.. who knows how much.. They are simply playing the game that is out there. Reform the game or IMO stop complaining. That they play it better than others is a testament to their skills and hiring. We dont like it but it’s what it is.

If you were an ED doc and made $200/hr but another imaginary doc does the exact same work but makes $400/hr.. is that doc who makes $400/hr a bad guy? Or is the whole system bad?

UnitedHealthcare, the healthcare section of UnitedHealth Group (UNH), reported revenue of $281.4 billion for the full year 2023, representing a 12.7% increase from the previous year[3][5]. While the specific net income for UnitedHealthcare is not provided in the search results, UnitedHealth Group as a whole reported a net income of $22.381 billion for 2023, an 11.24% increase from 2022[2].

## Key Points:

- UnitedHealthcare revenue in 2023: $281.4 billion
- Revenue growth: 12.7% year-over-year
- UnitedHealth Group total net income: $22.381 billion

The growth in UnitedHealthcare's revenue was attributed to an increase in the number of people insured, with over 800,000 new commercial members and 950,000 new Medicare and complex-needs Medicaid beneficiaries[3].

Citations:
[1] UnitedHealth Group Profits Hit $22 Billion In 2023
[2] UnitedHealth Group Net Income 2010-2024 | UNH
[3] UnitedHealth Group’s Revenue Grew Almost 15% in 2023
[4] UnitedHealth Group Revenue 2010-2024 | UNH
[5] UnitedHealth Group's stock stumbles as it reports spike in utilization for Q4
[6] https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unitedhealth-q3-earnings-revenue-eps-113643152.html
[7] https://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/content/dam/UHG/PDF/investors/2024/UNH-Q3-2024-Release.pdf
[8] https://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/content/dam/UHG/PDF/investors/2023/UNH-Q4-2023-Release.pdf
[9] UnitedHealth Group - Wikipedia
 
The irony about this case is that while Mangione's primary motive behind killing Thompson was UnitedHealthcare's practice of denying and delaying care, with what we know about patients who end up entwined in the pain industrial complex (pain docs, spine docs) undergoing countless procedures while becoming dependent on pain medications, he likely would have been better off avoiding the medical industrial complex in the first place. It's not uncommon less medicine is better medicine.

"Spoke with a source that had a lot of friends that went to high school with Luigi Mangione. What keeps coming up is a back surgery that “changed everything” for him and he went “absolutely crazy.” Checks out with his GoodReads history and the X-Ray in his header.

More info:
Back injury happened when he was surfing in Hawaii. Surgery didn’t go great. Moved to Japan. His contact with family stopped about a year ago. Recently the family reached out to his friends from high school asking if they had info on him. So he’s been pretty aloof for awhile. This checks out with his IG tagged photos as there were a lot of posts from family through 2023, none recently."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The irony about this case is that while Mangione's primary motive behind killing Thompson was UnitedHealthcare's practice of denying and delaying care, with what we know about patients who end up entwined in the pain industrial complex (pain docs, spine docs) undergoing countless procedures while becoming dependent on pain medications, he likely would have been better off avoiding the medical industrial complex in the first place. It's not uncommon less medicine is better medicine.
Your last sentence is something that more people need to understand. The more someone gets involved with the healthcare system, the less of a chance they have of getting back to ‘normal’. Honestly, most chronic pain patients would be better off completely getting away from the healthcare system.
 
I’m a very strong proponent for gun control reform. From an outside perspective, like all of us in this case, that doesn’t seem like it would have mattered in this instance. We need gun reform due to completely unnecessary mass shootings. This was an isolated act of crime and very hard to prevent.

I don’t think that was EctopicFetus’ point though. I presume just mentioning as interesting how no one was really discussing. It seems gun control reform is always brought up with any shooting as clearly there is a problem with our society that hasn’t been well addressed. This isn’t the best example though for addressing this major problem.
The only difference between this and a mass shooting was motive.
 
Well, and the number of victims.

Plus, I'm not going to say this guy deserved to die. But he deserved it more than school children do.
Not all mass shootings are at schools. I think motive is the major determinant of the number of victims. Regardless, it’s a much bigger problem than just ‘guns’.