An Underdog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PM me for details.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great thread, thanks for the info and congratulations again!

Congrats on getting in, but to make this clear to applicants this guy is an outlier, an exception to the rule. You should do everything in your power to make yourself a better applicant, if that means staying out a year then so be it.
So I do find a bit of fault with accepting inadequacies, it's not a good policy for someone who is going to be a doctor and need to be more than adequate to get anywhere.

My two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on getting in. But there are some things I can't wrap my head around. How do some people get in the a friggin 20 on MCAT? To me this is ridiculous, especially with low GPAs. Yes EC's are important, etc etc. But how can anyone succeed with getting a 20 and having low GPAs. Blows my mind...

Congrats on getting in, but to make this clear to applicants this guy is an outlier, an exception to the rule. You should do everything in your power to make yourself a better applicant, if that means staying out a year then so be it.
So I do find a bit of fault with accepting inadequacies, it's not a good policy for someone who is going to be a doctor and need to be more than adequate to get anywhere.

My two cents.

I agree. I definitely am an exception and honestly was not planning on getting in. It takes a number of factors.

Contrary to what you said, I never accepted any of my inadequacies. The only thing I accepted was the fact that I have many of them that I will continue to strive to improve. Accepting inadequacies means being content with them. I am not content with my shortcomings.

I agree. I definitely am an exception and honestly was not planning on getting in. It takes a number of factors.

Contrary to what you said, I never accepted any of my inadequacies. The only thing I accepted was the fact that I have many of them that I will continue to strive to improve. Accepting inadequacies means being content with them. I am not content with my shortcomings.

Sorry if I came off rude I didn't mean to - I just wonder sometimes about how things work :rolleyes:

My two cents.

What degree does number 200 out of a medical school graduating class of 200 receive? :D

:p

And for the record, yes those doctors do indeed get residencies.

That being said... wonderful post DJack. Congratulations. I have no doubts you will be a wonderful physician.

What degree does number 200 out of a medical school graduating class of 200 receive? :D

:p

And for the record, yes those doctors do indeed get residencies.

Except out of a starting class of 200 DO students only on average 180 will graduate.

Good boy :)

Oh my bad, to suit your ego I will say 180/180 then. :)

Furthermore these doctors may get residencies, but it doesnt mean it is in the area they want or will be happy with. Furthermore within time the ability of lower caliber DO students to get residencies will be lost as more MD and DOs are produced than residencies open.

Congratulations on getting in. But there are some things I can't wrap my head around. How do some people get in the a friggin 20 on MCAT? To me this is ridiculous, especially with low GPAs. Yes EC's are important, etc etc. But how can anyone succeed with getting a 20 and having low GPAs. Blows my mind...

Thanks for the input, and it is something that I have gotten quite a bit.

While my GPAs were low, I excelled in upper level classes my last two years, earning a 3.75 while taking classes such as Anatomy, physiology, cadaver prosection, biochemistry, and microbiology, among others. I'm lucky some schools were able to see that.

My MCAT is indeed low. Like I said, I was not planning on being accepted and had been planning on taking a Kaplan course to better my content knowledge and test-taking skills. A 21 is not an acceptable score, but in no way was I trying to relay that it was.

This thread was created to give hope and insight to those with low stats and I almost didn't post this because I knew people would post on here and talk of how ridiculous they thought it was that I was accepted. I'm sorry if you don't agree with the school's decision. I am just trying to assist others with low statistics. I hope you can look at this year's underdog thread and see others that were in similar situations to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats that is wonderful!
It is not the grades that get people through med school, it's the drive and passion! So I think if we can show them that during the interview, they will overlook some of our weaker areas :)

Great thread, DJack. And...

Well said.
+1. Lets let DJack tell his story and enjoy his new acceptance, all he did was lay the facts on the table and he understood he was an outlier.

where did you get in to?

its so weird how admissions committees work. Congrats

Tenndoc don't be jelly, KYCOM:) They both are so similar schools except the KYCOM advantage:)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! i am so happy for you. Your story is truly and inspiration. :D

Djack you have done more for the underdogs than anyone i can think of. I've read underdog thread for the past year. Congrats on your acceptance. I don't know if I am an underdog anymore had a 3.5 gpa now a 3.7 across the board. The MCAT might keep me as an Underdog :( Regardless, I've always had that underdog/ can do, mentality and that's the attitude i"m going into this application season. Well, congrats again for getting accepted.

Congrats that is wonderful!
It is not the grades that get people through med school, it's the drive and passion! So I think if we can show them that during the interview, they will overlook some of our weaker areas :)

This sounds so corny, but it's so true. Having nearly completed a full year as a Medical Student (and having been a big underdog myself, just look me up on the original underdog thread) I can say with a surety that it's the drive and passion that gets people success in medical school.

I've seen people with better GPA's than me really struggle, and people with stats similar to DJack come in an kill it. Medical school doesn't take a lot of brain power, it takes a lot of stamina and a lot of will, which is something that Underdogs have in spades.

Some people will deny it because it makes them feel less special for their undergrad accomplishments, but it's the truth.

If you don't believe me, just ask a practicing physician.

And DJack, I'm so excited for you. I've been following your updates with interest hoping you'd get in this year. You're going to do awesome!

Congrats DJack!! I've been reading your posts all year and am so happy to hear you got in!

Last edited:
Don't forget to include extra darts with your application because the one thing I learned from our application process is that half the time they just post all the apps on the wall and throw darts at them to select who to interview.

congrats on getting it!