Help w/ School List [underdoggy]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Throw out LMU-DCOM. Heightened monitoring status from accrediting body. Check out the thread on the DO students forum about it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
PNWU has a pretty strong bias for in-state and nearby state as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Throw out LMU-DCOM. Heightened monitoring status from accrediting body. Check out the thread on the DO students forum about it.
Okay thanks, I'm checking it out now.

Your MCAT is low for Touro CA. Chances are high if you add Touro Nevada.

Also if you don't mind midwest, add DMU.

Your MCAT is low for Touro CA. Chances are high if you add Touro Nevada.
Will do, thank you. I think I had that on my original unfiltered list and not sure why I took it off, probably an oversight. They look pretty friendly to OOS applicants.

U Miss will not even consider you since the only take Mississippi residents. Honestly, all the MD's you listed in the bottom section will have a very strong instate bias and won't offer you an interview especially with your MCAT. Trust me had similar stats and EC got no II's from out of state MD's even states I thought I had a strong connection to. Save the money apply private MD's if you want MD so bad and FL MD's but your stats are much more inline with DO schools, FSU is most likely your best bet if you are dead set on MD

U Miss will not even consider you since the only take Mississippi residents. Honestly, all the MD's you listed in the bottom section will have a very strong instate bias and won't offer you an interview especially with your MCAT. Trust me had similar stats and EC got no II's from out of state MD's even states I thought I had a strong connection to. Save the money apply private MD's if you want MD so bad and FL MD's but your stats are much more inline with DO schools, FSU is most likely your best bet if you are dead set on MD

Last edited:
Okay, thank you. I was basing some of my choice on this tool but now that I'm messing with it, the algorithm seems a little off. I am not dead-set on MD. I am very much interested in OMT. However, given an acceptance at a FL DO school vs FSU, I would be obligated to choose FSU simply on the basis of fiscal responsibility. Thank you for your input.
Oh totally go to FSU if you have the chance. and no problem I just wanted to let you know the application processes is expensive enough without giving money away to some of these schools!

Oh totally go to FSU if you have the chance. and no problem I just wanted to let you know the application processes is expensive enough without giving money away to some of these schools!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I tried to tag @Goro @Faha and @LizzyM but did it wrong. If any of you lovely folks have an input, that would help. Always so concise with lists.

Hi All,

I need help narrowing my list for this cycle. Any help is appreciated!

Stats:
  • Non-urm FL resident
  • 3.61 sGPA, 3.72 cGPA
  • 503 MCAT (127/125/125/126) - yes, I know, and no, I don't want to talk about it. I'm being realistic and I have contingency plans in place.
  • Bachelors in different field from state school (grad w/ honors and received award, pretty accomplished) + DIY post-bacc @ Uni - all A's except B in calc & biochem
  • 2 science + 1 non-science + 2 MD LOR's coming
  • 100+ hrs shadowing in ER and primary (both MD with minimal DO exposure, wanted solid DO shadowing but CoVID thwarted my plans a bit...)
  • 2 mission trips (1 medical, 1 teaching)
  • 350+ hrs volunteering in ER
  • 300+ hrs volunteering in education, homeless outreach, local free clinic
  • Sole proprietor of business + working full-time currently, good work references etc.
  • Single parent, non-trad, commuter with some "distance travelled" stuff that I'm hoping will stand out in my PS, with which I'm nearly finished
  • Member of 2 honor societies and 1-2 clubs in the past but minimal involvement, 1 position held
  • No research or publications
  • Great interviewer

Combined Schools (preferred):
  1. LECOM Bradenton, FL (DO)
  2. Florida State, FL (MD)
  3. Nova Southeastern, FL (DO)
  4. Touro COM, NY (DO)
  5. NYIT COM, NY (DO)
  6. Howard U, DC (MD)
DO Schools (in no particular order of preference):
  1. PCOM (both), GA
  2. Lincoln Memorial, TN
  3. Edward Via (any campus), SC, AL, LA, VA
  4. Campbell U, NC
  5. Liberty U, VA ew just read up on them
  6. Alabama COM, AL
  7. Rowan U, NJ*
  8. California Health Sciences, CA
  9. Western U of Health, OR
  10. Rocky Vista, CO
  11. Ohio Heritage, OH*
  12. Pacific Northwest, WA
  13. Touro COM, CA*
  14. Des Moines U, IA
  15. Touro, NV
MD Schools (in no particular order of preference):
  1. Loyola Stritch, IL
  2. U Mississippi, MS
  3. U South Carolina, SC
  4. U Washington, WA
  5. Marshall U, WV
  6. U Missouri-Kansas City, MO
* = I am aware of the in-state bias and have a special reason for considering these schools.

If you remove or add a school, please give a reason why. Also, if you know that a particular school frowns upon re-applicants, that would be helpful to know, too. I really appreciate any help. Thanks!

-8yearslate
How are you an underdog? Your Mcat is fine for the majority of DO schools and your gpa’s are above average. Am I missing something?

How are you an underdog? Your Mcat is fine for the majority of DO schools and your gpa’s are above average. Am I missing something?
Single mom, 50k in debt, working full-time, 30 this year. But I appreciate your quasi-compliment. I'm really trying to get this list down to about 15 because that's the absolute maximum I can afford to apply to at this time.

• Okay...
Single mom, 50k in debt, working full-time, 30 this year. But I appreciate your quasi-compliment. I'm really trying to get this list down to about 15 because that's the absolute maximum I can afford to apply to at this time.
I’m being completely honest I think you are a great candidate. I’m 35 so I know the struggle. I think you will have your pick of DO schools.

Drop the MD schools on your list. You don't have a chance at any of the ones you listed outside of FSU and they are just wasted money. If you must add MD schools to your list then add the Ohio MD ones since you're from Ohio.

Touro NY and NYIT-NY are long shots because they like high MCAT's and are regional heavy. Other than that your DO list looks good (minus the state schools but you say you have a reason for applying so I won't bring them up).

Reactions: 1 users
I've got nothing to add in terms of school lists. Get yourself the MSAR. The cost is negligible if it helps you avoid even one dumb application (e.g. UWashington, UMississippi).
Unsolicited advice -- take it or leave it.
I will say that servicing that debt and raising a kid on your own while in medical school will be a bear. Regardless of how old you are now, you'll be older wiser and poorer if you wash out of medical school so be sure you have a iron-clad plan. Ideally, you work a year or two and pay down that debt before matriculating. Keep in mind that the interview year can be costly unless you limit your applications to schools you can drive to and you find a place to stay the night before an interview (some schools offer student hosts who will welcome you overnight). Of course, you'll need some support "at home" to watch your kid while you interview so take that into account, too.

• Love
For MD schools you could try these:
Florida State
Florida International
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
From your DO list Rowan and Ohio Heritage accept few non residents. You are competitive for all DO schools.

I’m being completely honest I think you are a great candidate. I’m 35 so I know the struggle. I think you will have your pick of DO schools.
Thank you! Good luck to you, too! Not sure where you are in the process but I mean it when I say if I can do it, anyone can. Seriously.

Drop the MD schools on your list. You don't have a chance at any of the ones you listed outside of FSU and they are just wasted money. If you must add MD schools to your list then add the Ohio MD ones since you're from Ohio.

Touro NY and NYIT-NY are long shots because they like high MCAT's and are regional heavy. Other than that your DO list looks good (minus the state schools but you say you have a reason for applying so I won't bring them up).
Thank you! I started out only intending to apply to FSU. Then I thought, well, that's a big initial fee to not put a few others in there. But you're right, the dollars can be spent elsewhere. I will keep all your input in mind.

I've got nothing to add in terms of school lists. Get yourself the MSAR. The cost is negligible if it helps you avoid even one dumb application (e.g. UWashington, UMississippi).
Unsolicited advice -- take it or leave it.
I will say that servicing that debt and raising a kid on your own while in medical school will be a bear. Regardless of how old you are now, you'll be older wiser and poorer if you wash out of medical school so be sure you have a iron-clad plan. Ideally, you work a year or two and pay down that debt before matriculating. Keep in mind that the interview year can be costly unless you limit your applications to schools you can drive to and you find a place to stay the night before an interview (some schools offer student hosts who will welcome you overnight). Of course, you'll need some support "at home" to watch your kid while you interview so take that into account, too.
This may sound dumb, but I thought the MSAR only applied to allopathic schools. That's why I never bought it. But I will if it includes all schools. Thank you.

I did think about driving distance when it comes to interviews, and another reason I'm heeding advice here to cross off ones like Washington. The truth of the matter is, I've worked all the numbers to a T, and me staying stagnant in a place I hate, putting my dreams on hold, all so that I save some interest on my Chase Visa, will cost about the same. The depression alone contained in that predicament would likely preclude me from being very useful to anyone. I have 2 other career choices that make relatively comfortable money, but if I cared about money and debt, I would have never gone back to college in the first place. Your advice is valid, but it's been pondered for 3 years straight, and taking the leap always wins that argument. I've landed on my feet thus far, through circumstances that made my therapist cry (which I found a little unsettling).

I've timed this nicely so that my son will be able to look after himself during my residency. In the meantime, I'll make it work like we have for the past 8 years. Sometimes you look back and you don't even know how. But we made it. And I still made all the basketball games. My kid is my motor, not my hindrance.

[QUOTE="8Years

1. PCOM (both), GA
  2. Edward Via (any campus), SC, AL, VA
  3. Campbell U, NC
  4. Alabama COM, AL
  5. Western U of Health, OR
  6. Ohio Heritage, OH*
  7. Touro COM, CA*
  8. Des Moines U, IA
  9. Touro, NV
ADD: KCOM, MUCOM, KYCOM, KCU, NYITCOM, LECOM (both)

* = I am aware of the in-state bias and have a special reason for considering these schools.

If you remove or add a school, please give a reason why. Also, if you know that a particular school frowns upon re-applicants, that would be helpful to know, too. I really appreciate any help. Thanks!

-8yearslate
[/QUOTE]

Here is a more realistic list:
MCW
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert [maybe] (just be aware of the military service commitment)
TCU/UNT
All FL schools except USF

Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, WCU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy. My mods to your list shown above. The only reason Touro-CA would have a bias is that there's a lot of talented CA applicants. I know this because we get their spillover.

MSAR is only for MD schools. The ones I'm recommend have have MCAT scores where yours is > thier 10th %ile, or close enough to it that you're in striking distance.

The bias against reapplicants is mostly hype. Schools do expect you to have improved by the second tr, and will ask you about it.

You're out on MD.
Good news is that you'll likely get one of your preffered Florida DO schools, if not both.

For MD schools you could try these:
Florida State
Florida International
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
From your DO list Rowan and Ohio Heritage accept few non residents. You are competitive for all DO schools.

Thank you so much! I will look into these. I'm surprised by the FIU suggestion.

[QUOTE="8Years

1. PCOM (both), GA
  2. Edward Via (any campus), SC, AL, VA
  3. Campbell U, NC
  4. Alabama COM, AL
  5. Western U of Health, OR
  6. Ohio Heritage, OH*
  7. Touro COM, CA*
  8. Des Moines U, IA
  9. Touro, NV
ADD: KCOM, MUCOM, KYCOM, KCU, NYITCOM, LECOM (both)

-8yearslate

Here is a more realistic list:
MCW
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert [maybe] (just be aware of the military service commitment)
TCU/UNT
All FL schools except USF

Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, WCU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy. My mods to your list shown above. The only reason Touro-CA would have a bias is that there's a lot of talented CA applicants. I know this because we get their spillover.

MSAR is only for MD schools. The ones I'm recommend have have MCAT scores where yours is > thier 10th %ile, or close enough to it that you're in striking distance.

The bias against reapplicants is mostly hype. Schools do expect you to have improved by the second tr, and will ask you about it.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much! I never added several of those, for whatever reasons when I was doing my research. I'll have to look into Nova because I do have that on my list. I've heard a few things. I know they certainly enjoy the lucrative side of education. Getting mixed messages about FL schools and Loyola. Thanks you for the detailed feedback. :)

You're out on MD.
Good news is that you'll likely get one of your preffered Florida DO schools, if not both.

Thank you! I've never been attached to MD. I'm really drawn to OMT and PBL. Which are unpopular opinions, but hey, I've never been attached to popularity, either.