Analytical Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B Baby82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this class (difficulty, what the class is about, whether it could be helpful for the MCAT, etc.)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would not say that it's helpful for the MCAT. The chemistry tested on the MCAT is far more general that what you learn in this class. The class is pretty easy, but I let it get the better of me because I didn't take it seriously at first. Keep up with homework, and you should be fine. The main idea of analytical chemistry is general chemistry, but in much more detail. You go back over equilibria, but add in lots of new things like ionic strength, common ion effect etc. Looking back, I don't think it will help me in life, and I'm annoyed I took it. :thumbdown:

look at the first four letters ANAL. It gives you some good habits to have in the lab....but the class is pointless. Who cares about alpha plots and how to calibrate all of this stuff. It can be really math orientated as well...depends on the prof. 8 hours of lab a week for us...don't do it unless you have to

Members don't see this ad :)
B Baby82 said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this class (difficulty, what the class is about, whether it could be helpful for the MCAT, etc.)
Thanks

It would be difficult to assess the difficulty of the class without knowing where you go. I can tell you that at my school the class was pretty straight forward. The lab that was associated with it was a bitch. It had two 4-plus hour labs a week. Everylab took the whole class period, and you were dealing with things on a microgram level, so you had to be extremely carefull with everystep or your yield would suck, and you'd get a bad grade.

I forgot it was 4 hrs per lab. Don't know why I felt I had to change this though. Neurosis.

It also depends on the class. Is this a class on Quantitative Analysis (lower division after the 1-year gen-chem) or is it Intrumental Analysis (usually upperdivision).

I personally found Quantitative Analysis particularly helpful for my research as an undergrad. And now that I'm working on my first PhD lab rotation, it is coming in handy.

Some Medical Schools 'highly recommend' taking Quant or Analytical, but most do not. It does however, give you a heads up before you get into the annoying Analytical aspects of O-Chem or Biochem. But, if it isn't required, and you're not expecting to do much research, try something else instead. Such as Pottery or Glass-Blowing 101. :thumbup: :luck:

I have to take this for my chem minor. :mad: I've heard its hard work, but doable. :)

For the first month or so Quant blew! I was getting 50's and 60's on my labs and spending 8-10 hrs in lab a week. But, after I got adjusted to the super-anal way of doing things, I started doing better and ended up with an A in the class. First semester was all "wet chemistry" and second semester was mostly all using instruments. All in all, I think it was a worthwhile course and really helped me focus on doing things *precisely*

For the MCAT- I dont know that it helped me...maybe helped to bolster the acid/base chemistry and stoichiometry a bit.

hth
madrigail

madrigail said:
For the MCAT- I dont know that it helped me...maybe helped to bolster the acid/base chemistry and stoichiometry a bit.

hth
madrigail

I forgot about that... Yes, it definitely helped with the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT. :thumbup:

skiz knot said:
It would be difficult to assess the difficulty of the class without knowing where you go. I can tell you that at my school the class was pretty straight forward. The lab that was associated with it was a bitch. It had two 3-plus hour labs a week. Everylab took the whole class period, and you were dealing with things on a microgram level, so you had to be extremely carefull with everystep or your yield would suck, and you'd get a bad grade.
I agree. The lecture portion of analytical chem is fine, but the lab is terrible. If you can get away with not taking analytical lab, DO IT!