Anatomy Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've already gone thru Gray's Anatomy and The Human Body Book by Steve Parker( great for visual reference), are any other great anatomy/ physiology books I can go thru to prepare for med school??? I am still a freshman undergrad but due to me starting college late I am trying to take as many classes as possible to speed thru undergrad and by teaching myself as much as possible I am trying to skip a few years of undergrad lol...

Members don't see this ad.

You can't prepare for medical school. Go do things that will help you get into medical school, rather than preparing for something that you have yet to get accepted into.

You're a freshmen in college and you want to know books to read for medical school? Focus on your undergrad courses, don't waste your time with reading anatomy textbooks.

Oh and I'm tempted to think I may have just fed a troll but I tend to err on the side of "not a troll".

Members don't see this ad :)
You're teaching yourself anatomy to hopefully skip through undergrad faster and prepare for Med school?
<.<
>.>

I don't understand why so many people make such a big deal about anatomy, getting those coloring books, asking how to prepare, studying ahead of time. It's not really that huge of a part of med school. Biochem, Neuro, Physio, Histo, etc demand just as much time and learning.

thnx for the feedback. but anatomy isnt the only thing im learning on my own, its what im up to. ive gone thru bio, chem( organic and inorganic/ general), mol bio, etc.... now im on anatomy and physiology part by part.... ive been self tutoring/ teaching since i graduated high school in 2005 and i am well beyond undergrad studies.... I appreciate all the responses but if you do not intend on answering my question plz do not response... THANK YOU

Well, you don't exactly own this webspace, but I guess I can understand wanting to keep the thread to the point.

We are trying to let you know that as great as it is that you want to try to get a jump on medical school, it is probably not necessary at this point in your academic career. We did not say that outright, but you should be able to infer it from what we've said.

If you want a direct answer...I dunno, go pick up Netter's and study till your heart's content. Here, I'll even give you a link. Go nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Human-A...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235275571&sr=8-1

thnx for the feedback. but anatomy isnt the only thing im learning on my own, its what im up to. ive gone thru bio, chem( organic and inorganic/ general), mol bio, etc.... now im on anatomy and physiology part by part.... ive been self tutoring/ teaching since i graduated high school in 2005 and i am well beyond undergrad studies.... I appreciate all the responses but if you do not intend on answering my question plz do not response... THANK YOU

Have you taken those classes? If not, how are you so sure that you are beyond those courses? Besides, getting into medical school is more than studying text books. Go DO things! Education is more than self study, its also life experiences.

Also, I'm confused. Did you take several years off of undergrad?

I just don't see how studying this stuff on your own is going to help you graduate early. It's not like you can self study and then skip ahead to year two of medical school. If you are trying to graduate early I'd say its a fair assumption that you are overloading and if you are overloading you should be concentrating on your undergraduate courses. It just seems a bit absurd to just be reading through erroneous textbooks as a freshman.

But yeah, if you want an anatomy reference pick up Netter's and go wild. I'm just not sure why you are doing it.

I just don't see how studying this stuff on your own is going to help you graduate early. It's not like you can self study and then skip ahead to year two of medical school. If you are trying to graduate early I'd say its a fair assumption that you are overloading and if you are overloading you should be concentrating on your undergraduate courses. It just seems a bit absurd to just be reading through erroneous textbooks as a freshman.

But yeah, if you want an anatomy reference pick up Netter's and go wild. I'm just not sure why you are doing it.

Plus he will still have to sit through all of the courses anyways in undergrad.

well guys like i said b4 i appreciate your concerns but this helps bcuz since i have been doing this i took my placement when i started this past yr and was able to be able to score high enough to skip past a year and a half of work and get put into an accelerated undergrad program... now i plan on doing extra work this summer and getting passed further classes... if you are interested on why i want to learn these things b4 i start class its bcuz i basically go to class get the syllabus and complete all the assignments b4 they are due so that i am ahead of everything...

When I take a seat at my first class in med school, will the people sitting next to me REALLY have pre-read the textbooks? Man, people are so anal...

well guys like i said b4 i appreciate your concerns but this helps bcuz since i have been doing this i took my placement when i started this past yr and was able to be able to score high enough to skip past a year and a half of work and get put into an accelerated undergrad program... now i plan on doing extra work this summer and getting passed further classes... if you are interested on why i want to learn these things b4 i start class its bcuz i basically go to class get the syllabus and complete all the assignments b4 they are due so that i am ahead of everything...

Interesting! I've heard of being able to place out of basic courses, but i wasn't aware that you could do so for advanced classes...

I think in virtually any school allows you to get credit for courses if you can pass the final.

Once again, I'd just like to stress the importance of doing things outside of academics. An accelerated pace of study is great, but it has two disadvantages. First, you have less classes for schools to gauge your ability. Passing a course is great, but unless you are getting letter grades (and they are good) for these courses that you are jumping you might be shooting yourself in the foot. Also, less years in undergrad means less years to do extra curriculars. Even assuming that you have plenty of time outside of self study to do ECs, if you are applying after 1-2 years of college you might not have encountered some of your best opportunities. As a nontrad (I think you said that you graduated in 05 from high school and have just begun college), you might have some leeway, but beware.