Anatomy clinical cases -- NBDE part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cindrella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1 . A young man is brought to the emergency room after being mugged. He was stabbed in the shoulder after refusing to give his wallet to his assailant. If the stab wound lacerated the posterior humeral circumflex artery passing through the quadrangular space on the shoulder region, which of the following nerves might be injured?
(A) Radial nerve
(B) Axillary nerve
(C) Thoracodorsal nerve
(D) Suprascapular nerve
(E) Accessory nerve
View Answer
2 . A victim of an automobile accident is unable to abduct her left arm. This indicates damage to which of the following parts of the brachial plexus?
(A) Middle trunk and posterior cord
(B) Middle trunk and lateral cord
(C) Lower trunk and lateral cord
(D) Upper trunk and posterior cord
(E) Lower trunk and medial cord

3 . A biomedical engineer would like to reconstruct the arm of a boy who underwent amputation to treat a life-threatening infection. In designing the prosthetic arm, the engineer will need to know that which of the following muscles flexes the elbow and is innervated by the radial nerve?
(A) Flexor digitorum longus
(B) Brachioradialis
(C) Brachialis
(D) Extensor digitorum longus
(E) Biceps brachii

4 . Young Johnny was playing on the playground at school when he fell and struck his arm against the swing set. He ran to the school nurse, complaining of which of the following conditions as a result of injuring the radial nerve in the spiral groove of the humerus?
(A) Numbness over the medial side of the forearm
(B) Inability to oppose the thumb
(C) Weakness in pronating the forearm
(D) Weakness in abducting the arm
(E) Inability to extend the hand

Members don't see this ad.

I m trying to give answer to these questions but i am really confused about Upper limb anatomy and clinical cases ,can someone really help and tell in brief about Upper limb

1)axillary nerve
2)upper trunk, post cord
3)Brachoradialis
4)Inability to extend hand

Correct me if i m wrong

where did you get these q 's from.Do u need such in -depth knowledge about full body anatomy?
1 . A young man is brought to the emergency room after being mugged. He was stabbed in the shoulder after refusing to give his wallet to his assailant. If the stab wound lacerated the posterior humeral circumflex artery passing through the quadrangular space on the shoulder region, which of the following nerves might be injured?
(A) Radial nerve
(B) Axillary nerve
(C) Thoracodorsal nerve
(D) Suprascapular nerve
(E) Accessory nerve
View Answer
2 . A victim of an automobile accident is unable to abduct her left arm. This indicates damage to which of the following parts of the brachial plexus?

3 . A biomedical engineer would like to reconstruct the arm of a boy who underwent amputation to treat a life-threatening infection. In designing the prosthetic arm, the engineer will need to know that which of the following muscles flexes the elbow and is innervated by the radial nerve?
(B) Brachioradialis
(C) Brachialis
(E) Biceps brachii

4 . Young Johnny was playing on the playground at school when he fell and struck his arm against the swing set. He ran to the school nurse, complaining of which of the following conditions as a result of injuring the radial nerve in the spiral groove of the humerus?

where did you get these q 's from.Do u need such in -depth knowledge about full body anatomy?

I got it from a book with no answers... but looks like we donot need so much of anatomy ( hopefully not !! ) These questions were beyond my scope to even try reaching to a conclusion .... Looking at no response... i guess we don't need it :xf: ... when r u taking your part 1 ??

Members don't see this ad :)
(A) Radial nerve
(B) Axillary nerve
(C) Thoracodorsal nerve
(D) Suprascapular nerve
(E) Accessory nerve
View Answer

(B) Brachioradialis
(C) Brachialis
(E) Biceps brachii

Looks like you have the answers...

correct if wrong. pl post answers if you have.

1 . 2 . A victim of an automobile accident is unable to abduct her left arm. This indicates damage to which of the following parts of the brachial plexus?
(D) Upper trunk and posterior cord------------ans

(B) Brachioradialis----------ans
(C) Brachialis
(E) Biceps brachii

(B) Inability to oppose the thumb-----------------ans

Looks like you have the answers...
ibeflossin & Teethie... !! Dude & dudette yes i can see the view answer button... but its a book as a soft copy and the VIEW ANSWER key/button or whatsoever is not working... name of the book is GROSS ANATOMY 6th edition by kyung Won Chung & Harold M. Chung .... I'm not a selfish brat who would not post the answers despite knowing it !
Good luck !

P.S : bless us all :xf:

Last edited:
And as regards the answers , i have not tried solving it myself cuz i have other basic stuff to look into still... was just hoping people could help out here.

(A) Radial nerve
(B) Axillary nerve.....ans
(C) Thoracodorsal nerve
(D) Suprascapular nerve
(E) Accessory nerve
View Answer
(D) Upper trunk and posterior cord......ans

(B) Brachioradialis......ans
(C) Brachialis
(E) Biceps brachii

...ans

Last edited:
I m trying to give answer to these questions but i am really confused about Upper limb anatomy and clinical cases ,can someone really help and tell in brief about Upper limb

1)axillary nerve
2)upper trunk, post cord
3)Brachoradialis
4)Inability to extend hand

Correct me if i m wrong

yup , i too reached the same conclusion except Q.2 .. pls explain ....

(E) Inability to extend the hand-----Answer

Coz in the spiral groove it gives off a branch to the lateral head of the triceps and after that it gives off a deep branch to the extensor muscles of the hand.....

Please correct me if i am wrong!

yup , i too reached the same conclusion except Q.2 .. pls explain ....
for question no.2 .. i understand the posterior cord part... but how do u decide about the upper / middle trunk ?? Is it because latissimus dorsi arises from the middle trunk ?!

No... because it is deltoid paralysis and deltoid is supplied by the axillary nerve... and axillary nerve is derived from C5 and C6 which is a part of the Upper trunk!!
Hope this helps

No... because it is deltoid paralysis and deltoid is supplied by the axillary nerve... and axillary nerve is derived from C5 and C6 which is a part of the Upper trunk!!
Hope this helps

oh yes...sorry i was thinking of the muscle attachments for some reason.. it helped. Thank you .. :)

5 . An indoor soccer player runs into another player while running after the ball. She
falls to the ground and fractures the medial epicon-dyle of the humerus. Which of
the following symptoms might she present with when seeing a physician in the
emergency room?
(A) Impaired abduction of the hand
(B) Carpal tunnel syndrome
(C) Wrist drop
(D) Thenar atrophy
(E) Inability to sweat on the medial part of the hand

6 . After winning a boxing match, a 24-year-old man is unable to abduct his fingers.
Which of the following nerves is injured?
(A) Ulnar nerve
(B) Median nerve
(C) Radial nerve
(D) Musculocutaneous nerve
(E) Axillary nerve

7 . A 42-year-old woman presents to an outpatient clinic with a 6-month history of
numbness and tingling on the palmar aspect of her lateral three and one-half
fingers, loss of pronation, and flattening of the thenar eminence. Injury to which of
the following nerves could cause such a condition?
(A) Axillary nerve
(B) Musculocutaneous nerve
(C) Median nerve
(D) Radial nerve
(E) Ulnar nerve

8 . A ballet dancer falls to the floor and hurts herself during a practice session
before opening night. She sustains an injury to the thoracodorsal nerve that would
probably affect the strength of which of the following movements?
(A) Adduction of the scapula
(B) Elevation of the scapula
(C) Abduction of the arm
(D) Extension of the arm
(E) Lateral rotation of the arm

thoracodorsal...supplies lat dorsi...responsible for lateral rotation of humerus...hope that helps

hi cindrella
sorry for replying so late,I actually logged in today after months.when are u writing your nbde 1.ur prep looks really gud.I have jus started to prepare and after seeing the knowledge that is required and how well read others are I am really doubting whether I sud appear also or not.

5 . An indoor soccer player runs into another player while running after the ball. She
falls to the ground and fractures the medial epicon-dyle of the humerus. Which of
the following symptoms might she present with when seeing a physician in the
emergency room?
(A) Impaired abduction of the hand-answer
(B) Carpal tunnel syndrome
(C) Wrist drop
(D) Thenar atrophy
(E) Inability to sweat on the medial part of the hand

6 . After winning a boxing match, a 24-year-old man is unable to abduct his fingers.
Which of the following nerves is injured?
(A) Ulnar nerve-Answer
(B) Median nerve
(C) Radial nerve
(D) Musculocutaneous nerve
(E) Axillary nerve

7 . A 42-year-old woman presents to an outpatient clinic with a 6-month history of
numbness and tingling on the palmar aspect of her lateral three and one-half
fingers, loss of pronation, and flattening of the thenar eminence. Injury to which of
the following nerves could cause such a condition?
(A) Axillary nerve
(B) Musculocutaneous nerve
(C) Median nerve -answer
(D) Radial nerve
(E) Ulnar nerve

8 . A ballet dancer falls to the floor and hurts herself during a practice session
before opening night. She sustains an injury to the thoracodorsal nerve that would
probably affect the strength of which of the following movements?
(A) Adduction of the scapula-answer
(B) Elevation of the scapula
(C) Abduction of the arm
(D) Extension of the arm
(E) Lateral rotation of the arm

Please correct me if i am wrong....thanx

The thoracodorsal nerve supplies the lat dorsi and the lat dorsi causes extension, adduction, and MEDIAL rotation of the arm, not lateral rotation.
thoracodorsal...supplies lat dorsi...responsible for lateral rotation of humerus...hope that helps

****** Looking for Study Partner ********

We have created a study group here -
groups.google DOT comSLASHforum/#!forum/ndbeprep

Group name - ndbeprep

Please feel free to signup. I am only looking to engage with students from India & Canada due to time difference.