Anatomy during first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools use the same med school books - like anatomy textbooks? Are there some that are known as being good/essential references to have?

Members don't see this ad.

Do most schools use the same med school books - like anatomy textbooks? Are there some that are known as being good/essential references to have?

I don't believe most schools assign "textbooks" per se for anatomy. You will have course note-sets and lecture slides. Most students use the same outside resources for lab though -- Atlases such as Netters, Grants, McMinns, etc, and most will pick up texts such as Moore's to read. The schools generally don't care which one you read if any.

We were assigned Grant's Atlas and Grey's for Students, but I think only us HPSPers with the gov't picking up the tab and a few gunners actually bought them. Moore, Rohen, and Netter, with maybe a BRS or High Yield for review are pretty standard, although many will swear to other sources.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were assigned Grant's Atlas and Grey's for Students, but I think only us HPSPers with the gov't picking up the tab and a few gunners actually bought them. Moore, Rohen, and Netter, with maybe a BRS or High Yield for review are pretty standard, although many will swear to other sources.

Ditto that. We were assigned the same books, and most students ended up using mostly review books (BRS--which I loved, Recall, etc.) and "mini"-Moore (the smaller companion text to the big Moore). I will say that almost everyone had their own copy of Netter, as well as the atlas that uses actual cadaveric photographs. Most dissection groups also chipped in for a copy of Netter to keep at their station that could get "dirty" in lab.

I went out and bought a couple anatomy books before class started (but never cracked them until school started) and it turned out to be a pretty good thing for me (our profs are old school and don't believe in pp).

Gray's Anatomy - dense, but great text with excellent diagrams; used as a reference.
Moses' Atlas of Clinical Anatomy - great for lab practicals (better than Rohen's IMO)
BRS- Awesome! Condensed information, good questions, (hopefully) handy for board exams.

And how much should I expect the pay for all this? What is the most cost effective way of getting these books and how much should I expect to save?

I'd at least share an atlas. Maybe buy Netter and trade with someone else who has Rohen. The time that you spend with atlases will not be long, but it will be well-spent.

My classmates used the BRS in Gross Anatomy as the primary textbook even though such wasn't actually endorsed by the school. A few people bought Moore.

Anatomy was about the easiest class to prepare for among our main first year classes. If there exists a structure, know everything you can about it. It was pretty straight forward.

And how much should I expect the pay for all this? What is the most cost effective way of getting these books and how much should I expect to save?

try to get a brand new "international edition" off of eBay. same content, slightly different packaging, and a whole lot cheaper.

BRS, Netters, High Yield, Lippincott, Elsevier, etc. all sell at such a reduced price abroad that even after some added cost for shipping, your books should be cheaper than buying them from Amazon.

BRS Anatomy
Moore's Clinical Anatomy
Netter's Atlas

is what i use. in retrospect wish i had used rohen's atlas instead of netters.

BRS Anatomy
Moore's Clinical Anatomy
Netter's Atlas

is what i use. in retrospect wish i had used rohen's atlas instead of netters.

I think you really need rohens and a netters, both at the tank and at home. Theres a ton of stuff you can't see in the Rohens thats easier to learn with some sort of visual like netters and Rohens is great to study for the practical component and to help find things that aren't clear in Netters at the tank. I didn't read a textbook at all but instead relied upon my class notes and my shearer's dissector. I only referenced the textbook a few times when I was utterly confused but that was only after wiki failed me. Also didn't use BRS but some of my classmates swore by it.

never heard of rohen's...used Netter's
anyway - an atlas is a must
don't freak out about textbooks - they all have the same information, just in different orders
BRS Anatomy is excellent and highly recommended - 30 dollars?

hold off on dissection books. you might find that there are many many copies of old greasy guides lying around from previous years - no need to shell out more for a new-to-be-greased-up guide.

primary resource should be your lecture. this may obviate a textbook, depending on your learning style

oh and again, BRS is awesome...i think BRS and a Netter's or some atlas are your minimum (and sufficient, tho everyone will get a textbook if theyre neurotic enough)

Abebooks.com is a great place to get textbooks. In anatomy you may be fine with getting a previous edition, and then you can really save a bundle.

Members don't see this ad :)
The secret of atlases:

There is a great illustrated atlas called Sobotta. 2 volumes. Your library should have it. No one will know about it so you should be able to hold on to it for the duration of your course. If someone else happens to recall it, check out a copy of Clemente, which uses the same illustrations.

Both are superior to Netter in my opinion, although Netter is quite good.

I'm guessing you are going to be an M1 next year and are wanting to get a jump on anatomy? I wasted quite a lot of money with this mentality. If I would have waited till the beginning of the year I could've gotten them substantially cheaper through book sales given by previous M1s. Also. If you join AMSA or AMA, you can get "free" copies of Netter's via AMSA and Rohen's via AMA. (You have to pay a membership fee that may or may not be worth it depending on if the school gives you a reduced rate like mine did.)

Maybe its worth trying to prepare in advance, I don't know. My class didn't start anatomy till December, so I was in a bit different position that those who have a concentrated anatomy course in September.

OK - if you aren't an M1 yet - don't actually look at ANY books - but you can start to look around on Amazon to buy them.

Tricks I think are handy -

1. Never buy the current edition. Really - Frank Netter has been dead for many years - his atlas hasn't changed that much. Pick up one that is a few editions out of date and save $100.

2. Look at other people's books before you buy them and decide if they work for you. Your studying style may be different than other people's.

3. Here is what I used. Rohen (a true must if you hate spending time in lab, but want to see what it "should" look like). Netter (I liked it better than Grant's - but that is my opinion). Big Moore (I got the big one for cheaper than the baby Moore, but the baby was quite popular in my class). And my favorite book was the Chung review.

With Amazon, I think I spent less than $200 on all of the above.

3. Here is what I used. Rohen (a true must if you hate spending time in lab, but want to see what it "should" look like). Netter (I liked it better than Grant's - but that is my opinion).

I totally agree with this. I loved Rohen - the book is set up so that you can easily quiz yourself in preparation for the practicals. The photographs and the pro-sections are amazing.

I also liked Netter better than Grant - I could never really figure out what I was looking at in Grant.

Ooohhh, I forgot the best resource to enable you to spend less time in lab: acland's videos . .. they don't always go into the detail that you will be tested on but they are a great way to review without being in lab and are especially good for when you're too fried to really really study but still want to absorb something. My tankmate also used them for before dissection so she had some clue of what we were looking for, I was never that motivated thou. Its quite expensive, but we shared them between a bunch of students to split cost a bit.

We used Moore's and Netter's-both were required, in addition, halfway through anatomy I bought an atlas with actual human specimen pictures, it was amazing and I used it the most once I bought it. To save alot of money on these and any textbooks, ask upperclassmen. Many 3rd and 4th years who have taken the boards and no longer want their books are always looking to sell them for more than half the cost. It will save you more than Amazon. :)

Why are you even thinking about this so early? You will find out everything you need to know during orientation week. I went into medschool completely unprepared (I just moved back to the country like a week before orientation) and I am doing fine.

Moral: CHILL DA FACK OUT!

wikipedia, 'nuff said

Why are you even thinking about this so early? You will find out everything you need to know during orientation week. I went into medschool completely unprepared (I just moved back to the country like a week before orientation) and I am doing fine.

Moral: CHILL DA FACK OUT!

I hate hearing people say that - listen, i just got into med school, went through a heck of a lot to get in, and want to make sure i dont fall into any academic traps or make any mistakes (like i may have during undergrad). Its totally reasonable to worry about whats ahead of you and want to figure out ahead of time what the best way is to approach it...especially since i have heard so many horror stories about anatomy and people failing or barely passing.

Also, forgot to add, i am the world memorizer ever! anyone have any suggestions for people like myself who find it impossible to memorize, esp long, complicated words?

I hate hearing people say that - listen, i just got into med school, went through a heck of a lot to get in, and want to make sure i dont fall into any academic traps or make any mistakes (like i may have during undergrad). Its totally reasonable to worry about whats ahead of you and want to figure out ahead of time what the best way is to approach it...especially since i have heard so many horror stories about anatomy and people failing or barely passing.

Hi there,
You might want to wait until you get to medical school or at least until you have spoken with some of the upperclassmen. When I started medical school, my big sib advisor gave me all of her books/notes and old tests. It was great and she was happy to clean out the mess.

Most second-year medical students LOVE to get rid of their Gross Anatomy stuff so you can often save plenty of money by just waiting. They also give great advice within the context of the actual class that you will be taking. Some people love one book and some love another. You may find that you hate both so at least wait a bit.

People fail Gross Anatomy because they get off to a bad start or get behind. Getting behind in medical school is deadly. You can avoid this by listening to your upperclassmen and professors in terms of what is expected. As soon as you have trouble, get help. Don't buy another book but ask someone, who is knowledgable to tell you what you are doing wrong and don't wait until the exam to ask.

Your biggest adjustment to medical school will be time management. You have to organize and learn the material. Daily study and review will go a long way. What got you into medical school will get you through your courses. You may have to "ratchet-up" to cover the volume of material but don't get worked up over what you have heard i.e. horror stories about anatomy, biochemistry or any other medical school subject. When the time comes, you will get the job done. There is less memorization to Gross Anatomy than you would believe and it's quite interesting.

Again, relax a bit. Get through orientation and then look over what you need versus what you you inherit or can purchase from your upperclassmen. Ask for help early and often. There is no shame in asking for help and racking up a string of Honors grades because you had the maturity to get what you needed to do well.

The amount of worry and angst that you invest at this point in your education has nothing to do with the grades that you receive on your first set of exams. There is no efficient way to get a "jump" on preparing for first year. Making and believing statements like "I am the world's worst memorizer" have a way of become self-fulfilling. Replace those thoughts with, "Hit me with your best shot because I am going to get the job done by any means necessary." Good luck, I am sure that a year from now, you will look back and laugh at yourself.

At the Cleveland Clinic, we use Gray's Anatomy for Students... so do a lot of other schools like Dartmouth. The book isn't as daunting as the unabridged Gray's Anatomy, and makes it really easy to learn.

Plus, Elsevier has online modules with embryology and key points of each chapter with quizzes that makes it easy to learn.

Supplemented with an Atlas (I personally use Netters), I think this makes a great combo... BRS Anatomy and Netter Flashcards help, too. =)

Sorry, you are being a neurotic douchenozzle. While it might not be the best idea to start medical school completely clueless as I did (which I dont think affected me whatsoever) but to start thinking about which anatomy text book you are going to buy 6 months before you even start is just lame. And I don't care if you went through a lot to get into medical school, welcome to club (i.e. everyone in medschool).

Chill out. Period.

Second years (and sometimes third and fourth years) will definitely be selling their books if you can wait.

If not,
mini-Moore is okay (I also had big Moore)
Rohen or Moses for Atlases are excellent (note: I hated Netter's-- you can often get this for free if you join one of the student associations. I don't remember if it was AMA, AMSA or SNMA).
Most schools also use a dissector- Grant's is popular
Review guides-- BRS is helpful, ditto on Anatomy Recall.

For histo-- Ross is a good text as is Wheater.

For embryo- Moore again is the standard.

This is true, but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by thinking so deeply about this so early. What we tell you may or may not be useful. Every anatomy professor has his/her own quirks. Most schools use Moore. My school, however, didn't - we used Grey's Anatomy for Students [and there were quiz questions that came directly from this text, that were not found in Moore]. Some schools use Grant's dissector, but, again, we didn't. Moore's embryology is commonly used, but I've heard of schools that use some other book.

Bottom line - what school are you going to attend? What do students there use? Asking them will be more benefician than asking med students in general.

I calls em likes I sees em. Someone needs to discourage the rampant neuroticism of medstudents and premeds who make medschool more stressful for themselves and everyone around them.

agreed. but it sounds like you'll be fighting a hopeless battle.

at least you've got your principles.

The secret of atlases:

There is a great illustrated atlas called Sobotta. 2 volumes. Your library should have it. No one will know about it so you should be able to hold on to it for the duration of your course. If someone else happens to recall it, check out a copy of Clemente, which uses the same illustrations.

Both are superior to Netter in my opinion, although Netter is quite good.

bowdown.gif
Sobotta.

The CD-ROM is an also excellent resource, albeit a bit hard to come by these days...

My school required Greys and Grants, but also listed Netters as required in order for us to get federal loan money for the book since so many students liked it. We were also used Clemente's dissector. I also bought the Rapid Review of Gross and Development Anatomy by Dr. Anthony Moore (since he is the professor at my school). Another book I found particulary helpful was Instant Anatomy, but you shouldn't buy it since it is available online at http://www.instantanatomy.net/. I used Rohen's a lot, but I often just checked out an older edition from the library.