Anatomy & Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yodalehehu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there good in taking A&P I and II at the undergrad level? Mostly pre-pharm and nursing students take these classes at my school. A few pre-med peers I've spoken with claim that it's a huge unnecessary time sink that'll take away from doing well in my prereqs.

Planned on taking it with physics this upcoming school year, but now I'm having second thoughts. I will likely be working full-time as well (non-trad).

Members don't see this ad.

Is there good in taking A&P I and II at the undergrad level? Mostly pre-pharm and nursing students take these classes at my school. A few pre-med peers I've spoken with claim that it's a huge unnecessary time sink that'll take away from doing well in my prereqs.

Planned on taking it with physics this upcoming school year, but now I'm having second thoughts. I will likely be working full-time as well (non-trad).
Personally I feel that the Anatomy portion wouldn't be helpful on the MCAT, nor would you remember much by the time you matriculate to med school, but if you can take Physiology on its own, that would be good.

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken both anatomy and physiology and I think it builds a good foundation for you to build on once you get into medical school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to take it primarily due to it being considered an upper level bio class, and I feel I would do well in it. I also find it interesting, but I am open to an adcom's input regarding this.

I think it is useful to take it, but I'm biased. In my opinion, it is only worth it if you do one of two routes.

1. Would be that you would take it, get an A and then become a TA for it so you can keep the material fresh in your mind for a couple of semesters after. Personally I feel I learned the material better when I had to teach students. I also met some of my favorite people, which is why I am biased.

2 Another option you could do is you take it the semester before you (hopefully) matriculate into medical school. It'll still be fresh. You'll take it more seriously because you know you'll have to learn it again/more detail.

Otherwise, you could also take it to raise your science GPA. But if you're just taking it to take it and you forget it doesn't really serve a purpose because you'll likely forget most of it.

Reactions: 1 users