Anatomy & Pregnancy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimplesvaj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to the opinions of other medical students who have been pregnant during their first or second year of medical. How did you make it through anatomy? Would you recommend it?

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious as to the opinions of other medical students who have been pregnant during their first or second year of medical. How did you make it through anatomy? Would you recommend it?

Depends on where you go. At NYCOM if you are pregnant you are not allowed in the Anatomy lab. These students either do seperate learning from videos and things, and have exams with pictures, or they make it up in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could also look into programs that use prosection instead of a full-on dissection curriculum. We had something like 2-3 pregnant girls during anatomy (our 1st 10 weeks) and they did fine. We had lab ~2-3x a week and the ventilation was good enough where they could be working in the room, away from the bodies, just fine. Beyond that it was up to them how much time they spent up close digging around in the bodies. And when they did I usually saw them wearing masks.

At MSUCOM, the pregnant women are required to wear a surgical mask or respirator to be in the anatomy lab (prosected bodies).

Fortunately you don't absolutely need a cadaver to understand anatomy. The program will work around this and come up with something else so that you can have a safe as pregnancy as possible. Nothing is worth sacrificing that.

Pregnant women can't enter the anatomy lab because the formaldehyde used to preserve the bodies causes birth defects. Medical schools are usually pretty accomodating to pregnant students. Most likely you will have to study the specimens of of pictures and models.

I was just talking about this on Friday with a friend at University of Pitt. At their school, the pregnant student wore a full gas mask which I guess the class chipped in to buy. At my school the student was not allowed into the anatomy lab and had to use videos t models. So I guess it depends on the school.

Maybe someone from each school can let you know what their policies are. Then you can take that into consideration when applying to/accepting admissions offers from different schools. As far as I know anatomy does not go into second year but I'm still a pre-med so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

First, the bodies are not preserves with formaldehyde anymore. There are 3 girls in my class that are pregnant. They weren't allowed in the lab at all in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. After that it was their choice. They could do it on computer or go back into the lab. They all chose to go back into the lab. We are full disection and they do not wear masks of any sort. We do have a state of the art ventilation system though. Both the anatomists and the girls did extensive research on the topic.

I found out that I was pregnant right after the start of my first year. After discussing the situation with my anatomy lab instructor, I was able to continue in the course just like all of the rest of the students. I wore a paper mask that you can buy at any home improvement store to help with the smell, and would take short breaks when needed.

It is really personal preference and school policy that dictate whether or not you should participate in anatomy lab during early pregancy. Take any precautions that you can to limit exposure.

I have a happy, healthy 9 month old, we both made it through anatomy lab just fine.

Why would anyone get pregnant during their first year of medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you really want someone to spell it all out for you or was that a rhetorical way of judging the decisions of others?

Do you really want someone to spell it all out for you or was that a rhetorical way of judging the decisions of others?

Maybe we should PM her a little story about the birds and the bees? :smuggrin:

Would it be forward if I offered to demonstrate?

just as long as there's no cadavers involved in that particular demonstration... sorry, did that cross the line? I was just trying to bring the convo back around to anatomy lab :laugh:

so yeah, pregnancy and anatomy lab...

Part way into our 2nd semester and our three pregies have all had their babies.
So, we are minus 3 "classmates" since we started... :)

I don't know how they did, but they survived and they were troopers. Granted, I'm a guy and the wife and I probably won't start until I'm a 2nd or 3rd year, but I'm already nervous about adding on a responsibility like that.....

I should just skip over this BUT just an FYI for Nazra; 48% of pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned. Need I say more?

I should just skip over this BUT just an FYI for Nazra; 48% of pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned. Need I say more?

Liar! Everyone chooses when they get knocked up. Duh. Besides, med students are above normal people...and they should be too busy studying to have sex. I mean, everyone knows that!

I've seen a gas mask over the mouth and nose a few times.

WOW, I guess I missed the memo that said I had to wait to have kids until after med school.

Being pregnant in med school was not so bad, but I had a really easy pregnancy. Being the parent of a newborn infant in med school was an entirely different matter, let's just say I'm pretty happy I passed my last class.

I was not the only one pregnant in my class, it happens every year at every school. If you have the option to plan ahead, sit down and talk with your administration so that any arrangements for your health, education, and comfort can be made in advance. That way it is just one less thing to worry about.

Just as an aside, having weekly OMT lab was a great help for all of the aches and pains that came along with pregnancy.

Hope this all helps.

Does anyone know what TCOM's policy is on pregnant students? I know that you can wear a mask during anatomy lab, but does anyone have specifics?
Thanks.