And Here is the Anatomy Lab...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the "respect the bodies" message is extremely overrated. As long as you're not doing something totally inappropriate (throwing parts at each other or whatever), why does it matter? Also, how is seeing a body while on a tour not instructive? You're getting a taste of what you'll be doing for the next year (or more). I think the people would be happy they had some kind of influence in your decision to pursue medicine.

:laugh:

That made me lol

Members don't see this ad.

My school doesn't show the anatomy lab to interviewees - not because they don't want to, but because it is specifically against the rules of the body donation program. Our rules say that people have to be over 18 years of age, related to a first year, AND a member of the medical profession to enter the anatomy lab. So, just remember that not seeing an anatomy lab during your tour doesn't necessarily mean that a school is hiding it from you.

Also, it is important to remember that not all schools do gross dissections anymore, and not all of them will tell you about that ahead of time. Therefore, if you don't see a lab during your tour, it is probably a good idea to ask if there actually is one...you don't want to be surprised when you start gross anatomy.

Also, it is important to remember that not all schools do gross dissections anymore, and not all of them will tell you about that ahead of time. Therefore, if you don't see a lab during your tour, it is probably a good idea to ask if there actually is one...you don't want to be surprised when you start gross anatomy.

Does anyone know which schools don't do gross dissections? I just assumed it was something they all had.

Members don't see this ad :)
At one interview, the M3 told me she made her closest friends from anatomy lab...

Think this is true?

At one interview, the M3 told me she made her closest friends from anatomy lab...

Think this is true?
I don't see why it wouldn't be. You're at a new school and you spend several hours per week with a very small group of people which you talk to/interact with, whereas in class you have to sit and listen.

Seems like a great place to make new friends.

Think this is true?

I wouldn't be surprised. I do the majority of my in-school socializing during anatomy lab. You spend a lot of time trimming back fat and connective tissue which isn't particularly mind-stimulating work, and people tend to chat and have fun with it.

I recently interviewed at SUNY Buffalo and was very impressed with their anatomy lab...it's so spacious, bright and welcoming...with big windows and lots of light...and everyone was happy and smiling, even cadavers, lol :) this was the first anatomy lab ever where I could definitely picture myself working long hours and enjoying it....not sure if everyone in my group got the same vibe, but I was definitely impressed.

Think this is true?

I wouldn't be surprised. I do the majority of my in-school socializing during anatomy lab. You spend a lot of time trimming back fat and connective tissue which isn't particularly mind-stimulating work, and people tend to chat and have fun with it.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. You're at a new school and you spend several hours per week with a very small group of people which you talk to/interact with, whereas in class you have to sit and listen.

Seems like a great place to make new friends.

Pretty much. Anatomy is a long grind. You'll spend a lot of hours working through it with your classmates. You'll definitely develop bonds with your tablemates and the people you studied with.

My best friends' parents are both Hopkins attendings and they met when they were in med school and were in the same anatomy group there. According to her dad "they saw each other over the cadaver and just fell in love". No joke.

My best friends' parents are both Hopkins attendings and they met when they were in med school and were in the same anatomy group there. According to her dad "they saw each other over the cadaver and just fell in love". No joke.

Awwww :) What a sweet story...:oops:

i wish I was in your anatomy class LET.

seriously though i really want to meet LET. i dont know why.

I also want to meet MilkManAl. is he a big deal

Well, it's cause I'm a big deal, duh.

Well, kind of a big deal, anyway.

But if I am across the cadaver from you, it means "I got into medical school." I'd like that :)