Anesthesia providers in my hometown get f*cked...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Depends on their ability to staff the department. Newport News is not bad town to live. I bet that there are more than a few graduating residents and fellows are sending their CVs to the hospital. Maybe a few recent grads who are underemployed as well.

Staffing 30+ positions will not be that easy. Newport News is a dump. Hell, the entire DELMARVA, eastern VA area is a dump. But we all have different standards :rolleyes: (That's right, I said it!--via my Chris Rock voice). Plus, not all of those new grads can/will handle a PP cardiac guy or a vascular dickwad. Surgeons may not want to put up with learning curves and delays to their days....

Members don't see this ad.

im sick of hearing about this..

this is stupid. the hospital got rid of the group. They didnt do anything illegal(the hospital) they exercised their right. they didnt renew. so instead of crying about it.. posting you tube videos... MOVE THE F*** ON.. Geez. Life is tough.

With that attitude, it will continue to happen and it will get worse if hospital admins believe that they can walk all over us. Raise a stink like this and publicly proclaim the truth about these deals and admins will begin to think twice before screwing over local groups.

But,as you said, we all need to be prepared to be screwed. Never buy too much house, car, etc. Keep a briefcase of cash by the door, and a big a@@ fu account at the bank.

-pod

i do think that the events in newport news represent a "teachable moment"for the anesthesia community and for graduating residents in particular:
"do not let yourself get attached to anything you're not willing to walk away from in thirty seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner....!":cool:
robert de niro

Members don't see this ad :)
This Dr. Paul Rein comes across quite well in his two youtube appearances me thinks. This is all very sad, all the more so because the hospital administers in question appear to be physicians themselves. Depressing.

i know i know i know.. i cant help it though. even though it sucks badly for them, its just a sign of the times. you have to be ready to leave a job at any moment. I am ready to leave my job at any time. All I need is 2 days notice. I can be out of my rental in a day and a half. If someone helps me (man with a van) i can make it out in less than a day. Ive understood this about this particular field when i first started and when i got screwed out of my first job. Just the way it is. accept it. Sign o' the times.

I can't help it, but this sounds like Robert DeNiro in "Heat".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYSzx_zy-98

forward to 1:50

Anybody know if the providers who worked @ the original group are free to work with the new group? i.e. Are the noncompetes being enforced or waived or negotiated?

I bet that they will "negotiate it," i.e., someone will get paid before all of those providers get freed up...

A reasonable thing would be for the new group to assume much or all of the cost of the departing partners' buyout. Having to pay all of those people a buyout at the same time could be prohibitive for the old group.

A reasonable thing would be for the new group to assume much or all of the cost of the departing partners' buyout. Having to pay all of those people a buyout at the same time could be prohibitive for the old group.

dude there is no buy out.. there is a huge buy in but generally no buy out

there is no buy-out because most anesthesia practices don't own anything. Imagine if all of the anesthesia machines/monitors/equipment were owned by the practice? Then, the hospital would be hard pressed to kick a group out.. All of our ultrasounds, nerve stimulators, fiberoptic scopes, gildescopes, and anesthesia machines are paid for by the hospital capital budget... so if we get kicked out, all the hospital needs is the personel. I wonder if there are any groups that own their equipment...

I wonder if there are any groups that own their equipment...

That's an interesting question. It'd do wonders for job security if the hospital had to contend with the group rolling the Dragers out into the parking lot at 5:01 PM on the final Friday of the contract.

dude there is no buy out.. there is a huge buy in but generally no buy out

Well, "dude", there may well be a buyout for departing partners if the firm does their own billing/administration and owns hard assets such as an office, furniture and equipment. Generally, this number is reflected if the share price of a P.C.
In addition, there is usually a deferred comp. plan in place. This spells out the rights of a departing member to his or her share of the P.C. accounts receivable, and includes a methodology to calculate that figure.
The sum of the above two numbers multiplied by the number of departing partners equals the corporations financial liability in their case and that number could be substantial enough to cause great difficulty for the remaining members. It depends on how their group was structured.

Sources Say 29 Year Old Brain Dead at Riverside Allegedly Due to Bad Anesthesia

danielcurran, 06 May 2010, 19 comments

Multiple reliable sources are reporting to Newport News Politics a twenty nine year old man is brain dead after having undergone nasal surgery yesterday. Here is the story to date. Details on this case and others to follow over the next 24 hours
As always, Newport News Politics is a community newspaper. Those who submit the stories stand by their stories. Riverside Administration is always welcome to give their version of the story here.
“There is a critical situation regarding Riverside and the new anesthesia crew. There is a patient in ICU that is brain dead as a result of a major error by an anesthesiologist. It happened yesterday.”
“For some reason his blood pressure dropped and the anesthesiologist gave him 7 liters of fluid. The patient basically drowned as a result. Then in the recovery area the patient crashed. It took 10 minutes for anesthesia to show up.”
© 2010-Newport News Politics-just give credit.
Dan Curran 757-291-6494

Multiple reliable sources are reporting to Newport News Politics a twenty nine year old man is brain dead after having undergone nasal surgery yesterday. Here is the story to date. Details on this case and others to follow over the next 24 hours
As always, Newport News Politics is a community newspaper. Those who submit the stories stand by their stories. Riverside Administration is always welcome to give their version of the story here.
“There is a critical situation regarding Riverside and the new anesthesia crew. There is a patient in ICU that is brain dead as a result of a major error by an anesthesiologist. It happened yesterday.”
“For some reason his blood pressure dropped and the anesthesiologist gave him 7 liters of fluid. The patient basically drowned as a result. Then in the recovery area the patient crashed. It took 10 minutes for anesthesia to show up.”
Dan Curran 757-291-6494

:eek: Hope that the law suits fly! Hope that hospital gets its pockets cleaned and the hospital board wakes up and fires every dumb arse administrator who was involved in the decision of getting rid of the prior anesthesia group. Unbelievable! 29 years old left brain dead...

Dan Curran 757-291-6494

While I don't really have much difficulty believing that some terrible anesthesiologist made an error and killed this patient's brain, let's not blindly leap to conclusions here.

1) All we have are some guy's assertion that the locums anesthesiologist caused this complication, using odd layman terms like "drowned" when discussing fluid overload and then brain injury.

2) We also know that there are a number of people who have reason to say things or feed things to the media to make the new anesthesiologists and the hospital admin look bad. There's plenty of politics being played here; let's be careful about believing what we read offhand lest we be amongst the people being played.

But yeah, it sure sounds ugly.

While I don't really have much difficulty believing that some terrible anesthesiologist made an error and killed this patient's brain, let's not blindly leap to conclusions here.

1) All we have are some guy's assertion that the locums anesthesiologist caused this complication, using odd layman terms like "drowned" when discussing fluid overload and then brain injury.

2) We also know that there are a number of people who have reason to say things or feed things to the media to make the new anesthesiologists and the hospital admin look bad. There's plenty of politics being played here; let's be careful about believing what we read offhand lest we be amongst the people being played.

But yeah, it sure sounds ugly.

Well, ok, lets not over react....: But seriously, did this kinda trigger a Gomer Pyle response in your head?: "WELL SUHPRISE SUHPRISE!" :laugh:

Well, ok, lets not over react....: But seriously, did this kinda trigger a Gomer Pyle response in your head?: "WELL SUHPRISE SUHPRISE!" :laugh:

Unsurprising but incredible all the same. I wonder how the lawsuit will play out ... if the hospital will be successfully sued for its role in deliberately downgrading its anesthesia services.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/01/n...p-inquiry-queens-hospital.html?pagewanted=all

This type of thing has happened before. Depending on the local politics adminisration may be able to make it stick and weather the storm.

That was a remarkably well-written article, which I find astounding, considering the abysmal quality of journalism today as compared to even a decade and a half ago - whenever I see an article written about medicine by someone not IN medicine, I cringe.

Interesting is the ebb and flow - indeed, 15 years ago, you couldn't give an anesthesiology residency spot away (when I was a med student, I saw what happened from that), but, now, in the 21st century, demand is back up. When you talk to med students now, they can't believe that ENT, uro and ophtho weren't a "tough get" in the 70s and 80s.

Looks like Fair Oaks is taking over...
FOAA has really turned into quite the anesthesia supergroup.... or whatever you want to call them (AMC???)

http://www.gaswork.com/post/116755
http://www.gaswork.com/post/116753

Fair Oaks guys are a bunch of crooks. There are about 8 "senior" partners and they screw the rest. Unless you plan on strictly working a w2 and are a working woman with kids who doesn't care about advancing, I would stay as far away from them.

I know how those guys operate. They sent a "14 year old "peds" patient over to another INOVA hospital at 2am cause thy didn't feel "comfortable" with pediatrics. Turns out my friend flips the insurance card and it say "self pay" for insurance on the kid= no money to pay.

Fair Oaks has taken over a few hospitals recently. What these guys do is take about 1 million off the top, and underpay. I won't go much more in detail but let's say I would rather deal with deposition with a malpractice lawyer than negotiate with the main guy at Fair Oaks. He's in bed with the INOVA adminstrations. He's only gotten lucky cause Fair oaks was considered the "boonies" about 20 years ago but all their clients had very good insurance.

Medical Board acts against anesthesiologists who worked at Enloe
By LARRY MITCHELL - Staff Writer
Posted: 04/14/2010 11:00:00 PM PDT

CHICO -- The state Medical Board has taken action against two anesthesiologists who were involved in operations that led to the deaths of three patients at Enloe Medical Center.

Dr. Jan Marie Rosnow of Sacramento has been disciplined by the Medical Board.

Dr. George Chalhoub of Huntington Valley, Pa., has been charged with wrongdoing by the board.

They were among temporary anesthesiologists who worked at Enloe during 2006 and 2007. The temporary doctors were hired after the Chico hospital canceled its contract with a group of anesthesiologists who had worked at Enloe for many years. Since then, Enloe has signed a contract with a new group of permanent anesthesiologists.

Rosnow was the anesthesiologist when Charles Hodsdon, 42, of Paradise was operated on for a bleeding spleen in October of 2006.

The formal charge against Rosnow states that when Hodsdon needed emergency surgery, she gave him too much anesthesia and also failed to address his severe blood loss.

As discipline, the board publicly reprimanded Rosnow and ordered her to take a course in prescribing practices and enroll in a clinical training program.

In Chalhoub's case, the board issued an accusation following an investigation of his involvement in two surgeries.

In one case, on Dec. 22, 2006, Henry "Hank" Evers, 75, of Chico, was being operated on for a brain tumor. During the surgery, the patient went into cardiac arrest, and attempts to resuscitate him failed.

The Medical Board's accusation against Chalhoub states the doctor failed to carefully monitor Evers and failed to recognize and quickly react to the emergency.

In the other operation, Randall Perrucci, 44, of Gridley, underwent surgery to repair a shoulder injury on Feb. 8, 2007. He also went into cardiac arrest and could not be revived.

The accusation against Chalhoub states he administered an excessive amount of anesthesia and failed to quickly recognize and treat breathing problems Perrucci was having.

Now, Chalhoub can either agree to discipline by the board or challenge the accusation against him.

Lawsuits were filed against the anesthesiologists in each of these three cases. The Perrucci and Evers cases have been settled. The suit in the Hodsdon case is still pending.

Paradise attorney Joe Earley, who represents the plaintiff in the Hodsdon case, said the action is based on the allegation that Rosnow gave Hodsdon a drug that is inappropriate for a person who is paralyzed, as Hodsdon was.

Staff writer Larry Mitchell can be reached at 896-7759 or [email protected].