Anesthesia residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted877019

How airway competent is one, after completing a 3 year U.S. Anesthesia residency? Very? Smug with difficult airways? What about percutaenous tracheostomies? Is there enough hands-on?
Bronchoscopies at all?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you care? Do a US residency if you want/can live in the US and want to practice anesthesiology. If not, the question is moot anyway.

How airway competent is one, after completing a 3 year U.S. Anesthesia residency? Very? Smug with difficult airways? What about percutaenous tracheostomies? Is there enough hands-on?
Bronchoscopies at all?
Thanks.

Trachs and Bronchs? You’ve been watching too much House.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
House is nothing. Grey's Anatomy rules... at screenwriter stupidity. I am talking about you, Shonda.
Although The Good Doctor is quite silly and I've stopped watching it, I think it was during the first or second episode that they actually showed an anesthesiologist introduce himself to a patient, alleviating the patient's concerns, with several seconds of screentime! Refreshing to say the least lol

Should I take that to mean no trachs no bronchs.?

I did a ton of Bronchs in residency and am very comfortable through ICU rotations. A couple of our intensivist a learned how to do perc trachs in CCM fellowship but I believe such things are better left to surgeons.

Your post history indicates you work in critical care in another country, why do you ask?

Reactions: 1 user
Bronchoscopies at all?
Thanks.

Very competent in airways. Trachs are done by surgeons and sometimes icu docs in the ICU. We rarely do bronchs.... Not many emergency bronchs and if truly an emergency you prob want someone better trained in bronching

Thanks folks. Useful. Yes, my question was in relation to CCM skills, where good volume airway/trach. experience has been hard to come by, unless you're an anesthetist.

Anesthesia residency is four years not three.
Bronchoscopies at all?
Thanks.

I wouldn't necessarily count intern year as "anesthesia". You don't really learn much anesthesia related stuff and too busy doing H&Ps and scut work to really know anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't necessarily count intern year as "anesthesia". You don't really learn much anesthesia related stuff and too busy doing H&Ps and scut work to really know anyway.

Still learning some relevant things though (hopefully). Anesthesia has a lot of 'medicine' in it

+1. It drives me crazy when I see medicine notes signed by "Anesthesiology PGY-1".

Although The Good Doctor is quite silly and I've stopped watching it, I think it was during the first or second episode that they actually showed an anesthesiologist introduce himself to a patient, alleviating the patient's concerns, with several seconds of screentime! Refreshing to say the least lol

By episode 3 the general surgery resident had already performed a surgical embolectomy on a massive PE, and single-handedly performed and interpreted a perioperative TEE without consulting a single other specialty!

I think it's an important distinction though that we have that year to develop in the role as 'physician' before dedicated anesthesia training. We don't need to minimize our model of training especially when you'll have some claiming 3 years CRNA school = 3 years Anesthesiology residency.

I learned an incredible amount in my intern year.

Reactions: 2 users