This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m unsure if I’m posting this in the right place, so apologies in advance if I’m in the wrong area.

I know everyone has a unique situation, so I wanted to explain mine briefly and ask opinions of others on if I should pursue a PA or MD route. When I say PA, I actually mean AA - Anesthesiology Assistant. If I do MD, I’m stuck between surgeon or anesthesiologist.

I am 24 years old and live in Georgia. I’m currently in a job in aviation that pays well, but I’m looking for a career change. I’ve wanted to be either a MD/AA for about 8 months now and have done plenty of research, but I’m still stuck.

I currently attend two colleges simultaneously and hold a 4.0 in each. The first college is a tech school close to my home that I’m going to so I can get a degree to become a surgical technician. I’m about 1 year from being done. The second college is Arizona State University (online) for a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. I’m actually attempting to get on an advanced track so that I can get my bachelor’s and master’s in a condensed time frame.

Before you say anything bad about ASU being online, classes like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, etc, have the lecture portion taught online. The lab portion is in person, meaning I’d actually fly out to the campus to complete these physically. Any additional prerequisites I need, I’m taking at a community college near me.

Now we get to my question. I’m 24, but in a lovely relationship with the most supportive girl I’ve ever been with, and she’s completely fine with either choice I decide. We’re both not too big on children, although we want to keep our minds open. She’s only 21, so of course we have this mindset at our age, but things change.

Side note: I know AA’s can only practice in X amount of states, but they’re all places I’d like to live - so no worries at all on this.

I know this forum may be a little biased in terms of giving an opinion, but what do you think I should do? MD in something like surgery or anesthesia, or become an AA before 30?

Quick pros and cons:

MD
Pros: 3x the money, respect, status (don’t act like this doesn’t matter), a longer time in school could be really good, still a doctor by around 36.

Cons: Probably more hours so if I decide to have kids it may be a little stressful, more time in school could be draining (although I’m an INTP - a natural nerd), more responsibility, a huge commitment of time when I might not even land the residency I want. TON OF DEBT, but more pay maybe equalizes it.

AA
Pros: $130k a year minimum pay to start (where I’m at), a more set schedule, 40 hour weeks typically, more time outside of work to do side gigs (I own a one-for-one, want to write a book, possibly open a gym, I’m very entrepreneurial spirited but medicine is my passion), way less debt.

Cons: Less respect and status, an apparent “turf war” with CRNA’s, 1/3 the pay of an MD for a lot of similar work, always wondering if I should’ve gone the MD route, less notable schools, missing the true college experience, etc.

What’s your opinion? ALL are welcome. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Pursue the MD/DO - you're young and smart, and may regret not becoming a physician down the line. It's not uncommon for PAs (and presumably AAs) to become frustrated by their lack of autonomy and their being assigned to relatively low-acuity cases. Generally people who pursue the PA route are older and are seeking stable, well-paid second careers.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m unsure if I’m posting this in the right place, so apologies in advance if I’m in the wrong area.

I know everyone has a unique situation, so I wanted to explain mine briefly and ask opinions of others on if I should pursue a PA or MD route. When I say PA, I actually mean AA - Anesthesiology Assistant. If I do MD, I’m stuck between surgeon or anesthesiologist.

I am 24 years old and live in Georgia. I’m currently in a job in aviation that pays well, but I’m looking for a career change. I’ve wanted to be either a MD/AA for about 8 months now and have done plenty of research, but I’m still stuck.

I currently attend two colleges simultaneously and hold a 4.0 in each. The first college is a tech school close to my home that I’m going to so I can get a degree to become a surgical technician. I’m about 1 year from being done. The second college is Arizona State University (online) for a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. I’m actually attempting to get on an advanced track so that I can get my bachelor’s and master’s in a condensed time frame.

Before you say anything bad about ASU being online, classes like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, etc, have the lecture portion taught online. The lab portion is in person, meaning I’d actually fly out to the campus to complete these physically. Any additional prerequisites I need, I’m taking at a community college near me.

Now we get to my question. I’m 24, but in a lovely relationship with the most supportive girl I’ve ever been with, and she’s completely fine with either choice I decide. We’re both not too big on children, although we want to keep our minds open. She’s only 21, so of course we have this mindset at our age, but things change.

Side note: I know AA’s can only practice in X amount of states, but they’re all places I’d like to live - so no worries at all on this.

I know this forum may be a little biased in terms of giving an opinion, but what do you think I should do? MD in something like surgery or anesthesia, or become an AA before 30?

Quick pros and cons:

MD
Pros: 3x the money, respect, status (don’t act like this doesn’t matter), a longer time in school could be really good, still a doctor by around 36.

Cons: Probably more hours so if I decide to have kids it may be a little stressful, more time in school could be draining (although I’m an INTP - a natural nerd), more responsibility, a huge commitment of time when I might not even land the residency I want. TON OF DEBT, but more pay maybe equalizes it.

AA
Pros: $130k a year minimum pay to start (where I’m at), a more set schedule, 40 hour weeks typically, more time outside of work to do side gigs (I own a one-for-one, want to write a book, possibly open a gym, I’m very entrepreneurial spirited but medicine is my passion), way less debt.

Cons: Less respect and status, an apparent “turf war” with CRNA’s, 1/3 the pay of an MD for a lot of similar work, always wondering if I should’ve gone the MD route, less notable schools, missing the true college experience, etc.

You mention ZERO pros of MD that actually relate to the work itself and the responsibilities, privileges of the physician in the clinic and research. All you mention for both is money, status, and prestige, which are not bad things in and of themselves, but it worries me that you don't talk about the ultimate responsibility an MD has over his patients if in the clinic or hospital, the autonomy of practice (though not as much as you think), depth of knowledge et cetera.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like you don't have that underlying passion or genuine interest in the actual practice of medicine, and are looking straight at finances.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pursue the MD/DO - you're young and smart, and may regret not becoming a physician down the line. It's not uncommon for PAs (and presumably AAs) to become frustrated by their lack of autonomy and their being assigned to relatively low-acuity cases. Generally people who pursue the PA route are older and are seeking stable, well-paid second careers.

Thanks for your input. I’m definitely starting to look into it more.

is medicine really your passion? or making money lol since thats all you actually mention in your post. i dont believe md is for you man

Reactions: 1 users
You mention ZERO pros of MD that actually relate to the work itself and the responsibilities, privileges of the physician in the clinic and research. All you mention for both is money, status, and prestige, which are not bad things in and of themselves, but it worries me that you don't talk about the ultimate responsibility an MD has over his patients if in the clinic or hospital, the autonomy of practice (though not as much as you think), depth of knowledge et cetera.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like you don't have that underlying passion or genuine interest in the actual practice of medicine, and are looking straight at finances.

I totally understand you mentioning this, as I thought about going back to add more about wanting to pursue medicine, but I knew my post was already long. I have a genuine love for medicine and always have. I would love for my job to be in that sort of field - I kind of figured that would be an unspoken thing with someone considering to be a doctor. I definitely could see a lot of people going into it strictly for the money, but that’s not the kind of vibe I was trying to give off. Ultimately, I love medicine and would even spend my free time volunteering to do some additional research on diseases. My free time will even be spent on these things. I spend a lot of my free time now reading on the topic as well. Sorry if I gave off the wrong impression. I will mention that an extra $200k a year is obviously an incentive towards me being a doctor, though.

is medicine really your passion? or making money lol since thats all you actually mention in your post. i dont believe md is for you man

I really didn’t mean to give off that impression, someone just mentioned that. I kind of figured wanting to be a doctor would imply a serious interest in medicine itself, but I was thinking of myself rather than people in general. I love medicine and spend pretty much all my free time reading about it more. I love sciences and I want to make a difference in the world. If I were either profession, I would love to spend my free time volunteering in research. I suffered from depression for a long time and have seen the effects altered from certain diets, my mother had breast cancer which me want to further research the link between sugars and cancer, and ultimately I have a major passion for helping people. I just started a one-for-one company as well. I get a sort of rush by helping people. When I mention AA/MD, I meant it with my current love for medicine already implied and didn’t elaborate, I apologize for that!

I totally understand you mentioning this, as I thought about going back to add more about wanting to pursue medicine, but I knew my post was already long. I have a genuine love for medicine and always have. I would love for my job to be in that sort of field - I kind of figured that would be an unspoken thing with someone considering to be a doctor. I definitely could see a lot of people going into it strictly for the money, but that’s not the kind of vibe I was trying to give off. Ultimately, I love medicine and would even spend my free time volunteering to do some additional research on diseases. My free time will even be spent on these things. I spend a lot of my free time now reading on the topic as well. Sorry if I gave off the wrong impression. I will mention that an extra $200k a year is obviously an incentive towards me being a doctor, though.
Yes, the monetary incentive is there and no one can deny that is a factor. After all, not many people would pursue American medicine with its huge debts and long training if it weren't for a decent payout in the end.

Ok that is good at least. As to your actual question, I'm not very well versed in the AA job.

Reactions: 1 user
how do you already have a passion for medicine? you said all you've done is research (im assume reading online) for the past 8 months. have you done any volunteering in hospitals/clinics? shadowed? do you have an idea of what a typical day for a physician is? i dont think posting on an annonymous forum is going to help you. ultimately the decision is yours and with your original post you're gunna get some heat since all you talk about is money.

i suggest getting off the internet and start by volunteering.

I'd consider shadowing physicians and CRNA's or AA's to get a feel on where you'd like to go. Nothing wrong with your passion, but plenty of pre-meds and medical students go into this profession for all the wrong reasons. Then, if you're more sure towards MD/DO, then start shadowing in sub-specialties like cardio or ortho. Also shadow RN's, NP's, PA's, etc. Make sure you see what EVERYONE in the hospital/clinic does. People seem to think doctors do EVERYTHING--from wheeling patients to drawing blood. But that isn't the case 95% of the time.

I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into because this career shift is anywhere from 4-15 years in your situation. But if you only get more passionate towards being a physician, then don't ever quit. Go for it 100% and enjoy every single step in the process.

P.S. I say shadow CRNA's over AA's because they have more autonomy, more job flexibility, and have strong unions to help you get jobs over AA's. I haven't met any AA's in my career (yet,) but a TON of CRNA's.

Also, best way to find doc's and other healthcare professionals is through ER volunteering. You will meet SO MANY of us that you'll make many, many connections.

how do you already have a passion for medicine? you said all you've done is research (im assume reading online) for the past 8 months. have you done any volunteering in hospitals/clinics? shadowed? do you have an idea of what a typical day for a physician is? i dont think posting on an annonymous forum is going to help you. ultimately the decision is yours and with your original post you're gunna get some heat since all you talk about is money.

i suggest getting off the internet and start by volunteering.

No, no. I didn’t only get an interest in the last 8 months, just more of an interest in actually pursuing it as a career. In the past, I always considered it more of a pipe dream, as I did horrible in high school. But I’m a completely different person than I was at 16. I’ve volunteered at my local hospital and I’m in the process of becoming a surgical technician. Surgeries to me are awesome. I’ve watched a lot online, but I’ve shadowed in two as well, although they were both minor. It was still extremely interesting. The past 8 months have been more into researching medical careers specifically, but I’ve spent my whole life intrigued about human anatomy and physiology. Also psychology. I have about 98 books at my home that I’ve actually read, most dealing with psychology and medical-related topics. I originally wanted to become a psychologist, but after shadowing surgery in person, I’ve fallen in love. It’s such a cool thing to witness. I appreciate your straightforward advice, though. Really.

Also, best way to find doc's and other healthcare professionals is through ER volunteering. You will meet SO MANY of us that you'll make many, many connections.

I’ve shadowed two surgeries so far and think it’s amazing - I just don’t know what position I would prefer in the OR, if that makes sense. I love to watch, but I’ve obviously has nothing like a hands-on experience. I’m in the process of becoming a surgical technician, so hopefully that will help me see a lot more too, I just was curious of other people’s opinions as well and this forum seems like a good place to start. Most people I talk to (family and friends) aren’t in medical fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the monetary incentive is there and no one can deny that is a factor. After all, not many people would pursue American medicine with its huge debts and long training if it weren't for a decent payout in the end.

Ok that is good at least. As to your actual question, I'm not very well versed in the AA job.

Most people don’t seem to know about AA’s. It seems like a very niche thing. They can only practice in 12 states currently (I think, don’t quote me), but it’s expanding every year. All the states they practice in are are where I’d love to live and work, though. Thanks for your input!

It seems that you have a general interest in medicine/healthcare but not really first hand knowledge about specific roles. You said you shadowed surgery but I would suggest shadowing an actual physician their entire day so you see what they do beyond surgery and same for AA/CRNA as they have different roles and responsibilities diverging from when they interact with each other.
Money, status, etc is important but when you’re thinking about undertaking a long term arduous commitment like doctor you want to make sure it’s your calling and you like/are ok with most/all aspects of it not just the exciting bits
My two cents

It seems that you have a general interest in medicine/healthcare but not really first hand knowledge about specific roles. You said you shadowed surgery but I would suggest shadowing an actual physician their entire day so you see what they do beyond surgery and same for AA/CRNA as they have different roles and responsibilities diverging from when they interact with each other.
Money, status, etc is important but when you’re thinking about undertaking a long term arduous commitment like doctor you want to make sure it’s your calling and you like/are ok with most/all aspects of it not just the exciting bits
My two cents

I think you have a really good point. So I should shadow a lot more and see? It’s so hard to shadow! I’m trying to contact more people, but usually don’t get responses or it’s a no. I would love to shadow an actual physician, that would be great, especially a surgeon. Getting to see their whole day is a plus. All I’ve seen from surgeons are on YouTube about “day in the life” of surgeons who have channels, but I can’t find one in person so far. Will definitely stay persistent.

Advice from a premed that had been stuck between MD/DO and AA for about 2 years now and probably going to go AA.
1. You said your either going Anesthesia or surgery. As a premed you probably wont know for sure what you truly want to do until you get into your med school rotations and start getting to do things. (shadowing and doing are pretty different)
2. you mention the con of possibly more hours going MD. Just know that if Work-life balance is important to you than surgery is not exactly know for being very kind on your outside life. The hours are pretty tough.
3.About the money: there are actually a couple of studies saying that once you hit a certain threshold of income your happiness doesn't improve and your income does. So while it is nice to be making more as an MD, it probably won't bring significantly more happiness to you. Do We Need $75,000 a Year to Be Happy?
4. the prestige is nice for sure; but when you think about it, should a decision this important really be made based on what other people think of you?
5.I wouldn't worry about the CRNA thing. There are a decent amount of MDs that rather AA over CRNA due to the "trying to fade them out" thing. They prob will think they are better than you; hell they think they are better than MDs. They will say that their ICU experience makes them better than you because of their extra experience and at the same time tell an MD that their increased experience gained from medical school and a 4 year residency doesn't make them better than a CRNA ( its kinda funny to try and follow that logic)

In all, do what you think will make you happy in the end. If your ok with having a boss then AA is great. If you want to be more of the shot caller and have a greater library of knowledge to fall back on then MD/DO is great.

All the best in deciding OP

Advice from a premed that had been stuck between MD/DO and AA for about 2 years now and probably going to go AA.
1. You said your either going Anesthesia or surgery. As a premed you probably wont know for sure what you truly want to do until you get into your med school rotations and start getting to do things. (shadowing and doing are pretty different)
2. you mention the con of possibly more hours going MD. Just know that if Work-life balance is important to you than surgery is not exactly know for being very kind on your outside life. The hours are pretty tough.
3.About the money: there are actually a couple of studies saying that once you hit a certain threshold of income your happiness doesn't improve and your income does. So while it is nice to be making more as an MD, it probably won't bring significantly more happiness to you.
4. the prestige is nice for sure; but when you think about it, should a decision this important really be made based on what other people think of you?
5.I wouldn't worry about the CRNA thing. There are a decent amount of MDs that rather AA over CRNA due to the "trying to fade them out" thing. They prob will think they are better than you; hell they think they are better than MDs. They will say that their ICU experience makes them better than you because of their extra experience and at the same time tell an MD that their increased experience gained from medical school and a 4 year residency doesn't make them better than a CRNA ( its kinda funny to try and follow that logic)

In all, do what you think will make you happy in the end. If your ok with having a boss then AA is great. If you want to be more of the shot caller and have a greater library of knowledge to fall back on then MD/DO is great.

All the best in deciding OP

Thanks for the detailed response. I try to say that work/life balance is important, but I’ve been working 60 hours a week the lady 5 years in a job I don’t like and has no fulfillment. If I get into medicine and love every minute, a 60 hour week may not be as bad. In terms of AA, have you been accepted into a program? And how do you feel about online classes? I’m getting my degree online at Arizona State, but they have labs in person. Hopefully that’s still fine and not a waste of time. I know most AA programs accept it, but there’s not a lot to choose from so I don’t want to limit my chances. Med school is no idea to me in terms of that.

I think you have a really good point. So I should shadow a lot more and see? It’s so hard to shadow! I’m trying to contact more people, but usually don’t get responses or it’s a no. I would love to shadow an actual physician, that would be great, especially a surgeon. Getting to see their whole day is a plus. All I’ve seen from surgeons are on YouTube about “day in the life” of surgeons who have channels, but I can’t find one in person so far. Will definitely stay persistent.

Definitely. I realize it’s hard to get a position but I think the experience will definitely help you in choosing a path. I think it would probably be easier in a university-affiliated hospital since they’re probably more used to students in and out. If anything, try hospital volunteering and seeing if you can establish a relationship in the staff you meet there to branch into shadowing.

And as the person before this post commented, MD/DO versus AA/CRNA is also a big question of how much leadership do you want in medicine. As a doctor, you are ultimately responsible for the patient. As cliche as it is : “with power comes responsibility <and sacrifice>“ It’s a great privilege to be in such a leadership position but it also comes with heavier burdens and responsibilities versus that of a support position

Thanks for the detailed response. I try to say that work/life balance is important, but I’ve been working 60 hours a week the lady 5 years in a job I don’t like and has no fulfillment. If I get into medicine and love every minute, a 60 hour week may not be as bad. In terms of AA, have you been accepted into a program? And how do you feel about online classes? I’m getting my degree online at Arizona State, but they have labs in person. Hopefully that’s still fine and not a waste of time. I know most AA programs accept it, but there’s not a lot to choose from so I don’t want to limit my chances. Med school is no idea to me in terms of that.

I havent applied yet but am this cycle. As for online, I think it depends on the school. I think most are ok with it. Case west isnt tho if its a pre req Requirements | Certified Anesthesiologist Assistant Program | CWRU - Certified Anesthesiologist Assistant Program - Case Western Reserve University
if some dont like online pre-reqs I cant imagine they would like an actual online degree. If you arent too far into it you prob could transfer to a 4 year UNi and finish there.
I know MD looks down on Community college (if you were at a 4 year then went to CC to do a pre-req) but are ok if u started at CC and went to a 4 year. THey just dont want you doing CC to try to dodge a hard Uni lvl class. I don't think MD/DO accept online pre-reqs

I havent applied yet but am this cycle. As for online, I think it depends on the school. I think most are ok with it. Case west isnt tho if its a pre req
if some dont like online pre-reqs I cant imagine they would like an actual online degree. If you arent too far into it you prob could transfer to a 4 year UNi and finish there.
I know MD looks down on Community college (if you were at a 4 year then went to CC to do a pre-req) but are ok if u started at CC and went to a 4 year. THey just dont want you doing CC to try to dodge a hard Uni lvl class. I don't think MD/DO accept online pre-reqs

Case Western is the only one that doesn’t accept them, but they have like 3 locations. So it leaves me with 8 schools that do accept them. I’m getting like 90% of my prerequisites from ASU and was going to do the rest at CC. This was another major factor to why I was considering AA, because I definitely may face a hard time getting into reputable med schools, although I’m 99% sure ASU online is considered the exact same as a student. Literally some people go to ASU’s physical campus and just switch to online by choice, not necessity. The labs are done in person as well, so I don’t see any issue. Either way, I guess time will tell. I prefer to have a set goal to work towards, though.

I would put a lot of thought into what your wife will be doing once you have kids. Does she still want to continue a career? Does she want to be a stay at home mom? Do you want to work 65 hour weeks and come home to clean the house and cook dinner at times? If your combined income is 200k and she wants to keep working your still going to live a nice life even though your earning less than if your a doctor.

Case Western is the only one that doesn’t accept them, but they have like 3 locations. So it leaves me with 8 schools that do accept them. I’m getting like 90% of my prerequisites from ASU and was going to do the rest at CC. This was another major factor to why I was considering AA, because I definitely may face a hard time getting into reputable med schools, although I’m 99% sure ASU online is considered the exact same as a student. Literally some people go to ASU’s physical campus and just switch to online by choice, not necessity. The labs are done in person as well, so I don’t see any issue. Either way, I guess time will tell. I prefer to have a set goal to work towards, though.
yeah. 3 schools can be big though. and keep in mind, a lot of those other schools offer very few seats compared to Emory, Case, and Nova. So those 8 schools could have 3 schools that offer like 5-10 seats. just food for thought

I would put a lot of thought into what your wife will be doing once you have kids. Does she still want to continue a career? Does she want to be a stay at home mom? Do you want to work 65 hour weeks and come home to clean the house and cook dinner at times? If your combined income is 200k and she wants to keep working your still going to live a nice life even though your earning less than if your a doctor.

She’s said that if we were to have kids, she’d prefer to stay home, but if we don’t, she wants to work. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I’m a very entrepreneurial spirited person, so I would have things on the side she could work on from home. She’s always keeping busy with something, so I’m sure she could help me a lot in those endeavors. I’m interested in investing in real estate as well, so she could help a lot with that, etc. Man. I don’t even have an answer to something like that? How in the world am I going to plan this out. Haha.

yeah. 3 schools can be big though. and keep in mind, a lot of those other schools offer very few seats compared to Emory, Case, and Nova. So those 8 schools could have 3 schools that offer like 5-10 seats. just food for thought

I definitely agree. There’s really no way around my plan, though. Unless I were to just quit my job and go to college full time while living off loans, but that doesn’t seem feasible. I need my car, I need food, I need my insurance and phone, etc. The struggle.

Quick pros and cons:

MD

AA

If you're deciding between any path and medicine I recommend you go with the other path. There are too many sacrifices made in medicine to choose it for status and pay.

If you're deciding between any path and medicine I recommend you go with the other path. There are too many sacrifices made in medicine to choose it for status and pay.

I’m not choosing between two paths with one unrelated to medicine. AA’s are Anesthesiologist Assistants, which is still medical. I know a lot of people don’t know much about them, though. I’m in love with the idea of medicine, I just don’t know which specific route. One requires med school, the other is simply a master’s program.

How long until you've taken all the pre-req's and the MCAT? If you can have them all done to apply this cycle (might already be too late), you would best case scenario enter medical school at 25. I'll assume best case doesn't happen and you enter at 26. 4 years of med school, 5 of Gen surg = attending @ 35. Fellowship? Add more years? Research year? Add more years.

Think long and hard.

How long until you've taken all the pre-req's and the MCAT? If you can have them all done to apply this cycle (might already be too late), you would best case scenario enter medical school at 25. I'll assume best case doesn't happen and you enter at 26. 4 years of med school, 5 of Gen surg = attending @ 35. Fellowship? Add more years? Research year? Add more years.

Think long and hard.

I’m still working on my undergrad at 24, just went back and only about 10% into my degree. I have about 3 years left, but I like to plan out everything and go after it. My main concern with being a doctor is the hours. I’m putting about 80 a week right now in my job (aviation - no passion) and school, but I have no passion for my job. I work about 60 and come home to do 20 hours a week for school. I enjoy school and never complain about the school part, it’s just my job I despise. If I were a doctor and loving my job though, hopefully a 60 hour work week wouldn’t be horrible. The biggest difference in AA’s and MD’s in terms of my decision is the work/life balance. I love the idea of specializing, so they both appeal to me, but most AA’s work 40 hours a week, get plenty of time off, get about $130k starting, and I get to specialize in an awesome field while working with patients still and doing what I’d love to do. MD on the other hand has a lot of other perks, one being that I can specialize in other things like surgery. In an ideal world, doing minor surgeries like on the hand area while having a good work/life balance to see my kids grow and helping in the medical field would be great. The AA route also allows me to witness surgeries happen if I want, so that’s a plus too. I’m a very passionate person and know that once I make the decision, I will put all my effort into accomplishing what I want to do, but I’m just stuck between the two and don’t really have a preference to one over another. I’ll have to shadow soon and see.

food for thought, if you the surgical side/ doing procedures you could also look at podiatry. I'm not 100% sure about the requirements, but it may be a better life balance like your looking for without the brutal surgical residency, while still being procedural and hands.

food for thought, if you the surgical side/ doing procedures you could also look at podiatry. I'm not 100% sure about the requirements, but it may be a better life balance like your looking for without the brutal surgical residency, while still being procedural and hands.

I was definitely considering this as I’d prefer to work in surgeries that aren’t super risky. Thanks for the mention of it!

What is up with all the Anesthesia Assistant threads? I literally never heard of it before this week on SDN.

@FlavivirusProtease is this the AA you had in mind?

I’ve just came across it myself. It’s like nobody knows about them. They’re only able to practice in limited states, though. They definitely have some cons for most people, but most of the cons don’t really effect me, as I’d like to live in the states that they can work. And they’re expanding each year. You should look into them!

I’ve just came across it myself. It’s like nobody knows about them. They’re only able to practice in limited states, though. They definitely have some cons for most people, but most of the cons don’t really effect me, as I’d like to live in the states that they can work. And they’re expanding each year. You should look into them!

Everybody wanna be a doctor, but nobody wanna go to med school

Everybody wanna be a doctor, but nobody wanna go to med school

Ahaha, I would actually look forward to med school. I’m a hardcore nerd and love this stuff. I know a lot of people complain about it, though. I think I’d enjoy the process.

I would..

I think first you should see if you even get to take the MCAT then plan your life out

I think first you should see if you even get to take the MCAT then plan your life out

I’m not sure what this is supposed to mean. I’m going to take the MCAT just as any prospective pre-med student does. I’m already starting practice tests in the meantime and I’m a really good test taker. I’m confident by the time I take the test, I’ll do well.

I would..
I don't think so, because it wouldn't be sustainable as a career. I'm talking having a 300k loan and making 60,000 a year... really damn difficult. Now, earning 80k with no debt? Absolutely I would still do it.

I don't think so, because it wouldn't be sustainable as a career. I'm talking having a 300k loan and making 60,000 a year... really damn difficult. Now, earning 80k with no debt? Absolutely I would still do it.

I don’t get what this is pertaining to

I don’t get what this is pertaining to
He said that he would still pursue medicine if it paid like any other average salaried job basically even with the very long training and loans. I was saying that at least part of the compensation of physicians is to compensate for the high opportunity cost of so many years of schooling and training.

I was also in the same boat..trying to decide between MD or AA but I've chosen to pursue the career path of AA because after shadowing (social worker, case manager, bedside RNs, NP, Internal Med physician, Dermatologist, CRNA, and anesthesiologist) I notice that I liked my anesthesia shadowing experience better. I would even ask to extend my shadowing assignment. I fell in love with the team work aspect and also enjoyed the level of emotional comfort the anesthetist would provide to a nervous pt prior to surgery. Another thing I did was interview a pediatrician and physical therapist. For me, it was important that I was 100% sure of the career path I wanted to pursue which is why I went to that extent of figuring it out. What it came down to, was the length of time I wanted to be in school, as well as work/life balance. I contacted Case Western's admissions and they put me in contact with one of their AA students that happened to be doing a rotation at the hospital I work at. After my meet up I instantly knew this career path was for me. I highly recommend shadowing/interviewing/volunteering before making a decision.

If I do MD, I’m stuck between surgeon or anesthesiologist.
Keep in mind these two are incredibly stress inducing time suckers. As others have stated, I would shadow and continue what you are doing so you have some form of income in the meantime.