Anesthesiologist dies during Mexico vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't be surprised they robbed him and beat him just because they are anti-social.

There was an anesthesiologist in my hospital who died just around a corner next to our hospital. They say the guy shot him for no reason, sadly I believe them; people in South America too often kill preemptively when they commit a crime or for plain nothing. Another doctor I work with said once a sick kid died, the next day the parent went looking for him with a gun in the OR, thankfully he went on vacation and traveled away that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like his was bachelor. I dunno. Kinda of scary in these third world countries. Guys trip to Mexico and he got lost.

I remeber going down to rio, Brazil boys trip when I was much younger. We went downtown in cab with no meter. Off tourist area.

Thinking back now. We could have been victims also. I was much younger in my late 20s but we stuck together.

This doc was in his 50s. Gotta be careful.

With the stories I’ve heard coming out of Mexico the past few years, I’ll never travel there again. Too many better places to go without risking death

Reactions: 2 users
Probably walking down the street minding his own business.

That’s the single most dangerous thing you can do. Seems like that’s what all of our trauma patients were doing when they got shot/stabbed/run over/etc.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s the single most dangerous thing you can do. Seems like that’s what all of our trauma patients were doing when they got shot/stabbed/run over/etc.

I thought they were always sitting on the porch minding their own business sipping some sweet tea?

Reactions: 1 user
The cartel violence happening in Mexico is no joke to say the least. There are not just a few videos out there which show extremes of brutality and cruelty from countries such as Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuala. Traumatizing to watch but perhaps some utility in order to fully understand the situation.......

This incident sounds random, but I wonder when the drug related violence with spill into non-drug affiliated areas/victims such as tourists/vacation destinations.

I say let’s keep letting these dreamers pour over the boarder by the millions

Members don't see this ad :)
With the stories I’ve heard coming out of Mexico the past few years, I’ll never travel there again. Too many better places to go without risking death

Risk is everywhere, yes even in the U.S. Wasn’t there a massacre in Florida recently? :rolleyes:

My first question is why would this doc separate from the group in a foreign country? Unless he was fluent in the local language, he had no business venturing out on his own.

He probably got lured by a young female (given he was a bachelor) who may have been working with other thugs to rob unsuspecting tourists.

Use common sense people.

Risk is everywhere, yes even in the U.S. Wasn’t there a massacre in Florida recently? :rolleyes:

This statement is beyond stupid. You vacation in the Middle East often? Really!? Why not

My first question is why would this doc separate from the group in a foreign country? Unless he was fluent in the local language, he had no business venturing out on his own.

He probably got lured by a young female (given he was a bachelor) who may have been working with other thugs to rob unsuspecting tourists.

Use common sense people.
You mean she doesn’t really like me?

Yes I do and I venture out to Latin America quite often and never had any issues. Use common sense, stupid.

Common sense would be to avoid dangerous places on planet earth... stupid

The cartel violence happening in Mexico is no joke to say the least. There are not just a few videos out there which show extremes of brutality and cruelty from countries such as Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuala. Traumatizing to watch but perhaps some utility in order to fully understand the situation.......

This incident sounds random, but I wonder when the drug related violence with spill into non-drug affiliated areas/victims such as tourists/vacation destinations.
It already has.

Common sense would be to avoid dangerous places on planet earth... stupid
Really AcidBase? America is not exactly safe compared to other first world countries. In fact, by comparison it's probably the most dangerous one. Are you really going to compare the US to the Middle East? And quite frankly some Middle Eastern countries, like the UAE, and Qatar are very safe. Let's not lump them all into one.

The violence in mexico is shadowed by the violence in countries like el salvador, venezuela. I must say when traveling in central america I stay on the resorts. When traveling in asia pretty much every country is very very safe much safer then the United States. We do not go to south central LA at 0200 in the morning. Dont go to the hood in mexico either and stay on the beaten path.

Reactions: 4 users
Put down the crackpipe dude. Using your logic, you might as well pack your stuff and leave the U.S.

False, am I going to walk through our inner cities at 0200 am? No, but as a whole, the US is a thousand times safer than Mexico. It’s a joke I’m even having to engage in this conversation.

Are there dangerous places in every country in the world, yes. Jamaica is dangerous. All I’m saying is Mexico use to be safe in the resort cities. In the past three to five years there has been an onslaught of deaths/injuries occurring in and around resorts in the major tourist locations in Mexico. Why do I know this? Bc my family recently sold their place in Cabo for this very reason.

False, am I going to walk through our inner cities at 0200 am? No, but as a whole, the US is a thousand times safer than Mexico. It’s a joke I’m even having to engage in this conversation.

Are there dangerous places in every country in the world, yes. Jamaica is dangerous. All I’m saying is Mexico use to be safe in the resort cities. In the past three to five years there has been an onslaught of deaths/injuries occurring in and around resorts in the major tourist locations in Mexico. Why do I know this? Bc my family recently sold their place in Cabo for this very reason.
Mexico is not a First World country. We SHOULD be a hell of a lot safer than Mexico.
Please compare us to another First World country that is more dangerous than we.

Reactions: 1 users
Mexico is not a First World country. We SHOULD be a hell of a lot safer than Mexico.
Please compare us to another First World country that is more dangerous than we.

Dude why is this conversation turning into the US vs Other first world countries? Wasn’t my point nor do I give a ****.

My whole point was Mexico has turned into a dump and it’s no longer a safe place to vacation. (It was very safe a decade ago).

Reactions: 1 users
Dude why is this conversation turning into the US vs Other first world countries? Wasn’t my point nor do I give a ****.

My whole point was Mexico has turned into a dump and it’s no longer a safe place to vacation. (It was very safe a decade ago).
I totally agree with you about Mexico. Haven't been in over two decades precisely because of this.
Just was pointing out that no where is safe, and you can't compare the stats of Mexico to the US is all.
I don't know what world you live, but even when I am in church now, I worry about someone coming in an starting shooting up the place, and what my reaction and plan would be. Like the OR shoot out thread.
We are not exactly safe here.
You know the Parkland school shooting happened in a wealthier suburb right?

The 50 Most Dangerous Cities
Rank City Country Homicide Rate (Per 100,000)
1 Caracas Venezuela 130.35
2 Acapulco Mexico 113.24
3 San Pedro Sula Honduras 112.09
4 Distrito Central Honduras 112.09
5 Victoria Mexico 84.67
6 Maturin Venezuela 82.84
7 San Salvador El Salvador 83.39
8 Ciudad Guayana Venezuela 82.84
9 Valencia Venezuela 72.02
10 Natal Brazil 69.56
11 Belem Brazil 67.41
12 Aracaju Brazil 62.76
13 Cape Town South Africa 60.77
14 St. Louis United States 60.37
15 Feira de Santana Brazil 60.10
16 Barquisimeto Venezuela 59.38
17 Cumana Venezuela 59.31
18 Campos dos Goytacazes Brazil 56.45
19 Salvador Brazil 54.71
20 Cali Colombia 54.00
21 Tijuana Mexico 53.06
22 Guatemala Guatemala 52.73
23 Culiacan Mexico 51.81
24 Maceio Brazil 47.89
25 Baltimore United States 51.14
26 Mazatlan Mexico 48.75
27 Recife Brazil 47.89
28 Joao Pessoa Brazil 47.57
29 Bracelona Venezuela 46.86
30 Palmira Colombia 46.30
31 Kingston Jamaica 45.43
32 Sao Luis Brazil 45.41
33 New Orleans United States 45.17
34 Fortaleza Brazil 44.98
35 Detroit United States 44.60
36 Juarez Mexico 43.63
37 Terresina Brazil 42.84
38 Cuiaba Brazil 42.61
39 Chihuahua Brazil 42.61
40 Obregon Mexico 42.02
41 Aparecida de Goiania Brazil 39.48
42 Nelson Mandela Bay South Africa 39.19
43 Armenia Colombia 38.54
44 Macapa Brazil 38.45
45 Manaus Brazil 38.25
46 Vitoria Brazil 37.54
47 Cucuta Colombia 37.00
48 Curitiba Brazil 34.92
49 Durban South Africa 34.43

Reactions: 8 users
2 Acapulco Mexico 113.24
5 Victoria Mexico 84.67
10 Natal Brazil 69.56
11 Belem Brazil 67.41
12 Aracaju Brazil 62.76
19 Salvador Brazil 54.71
20 Cali Colombia 54.00
21 Tijuana Mexico 53.06
23 Culiacan Mexico 51.81
24 Maceio Brazil 47.89
26 Mazatlan Mexico 48.75
27 Recife Brazil 47.89
32 Sao Luis Brazil 45.41
36 Juarez Mexico 43.63
38 Cuiaba Brazil 42.61
40 Obregon Mexico 42.02
44 Macapa Brazil 38.45
45 Manaus Brazil 38.25
46 Vitoria Brazil 37.54
47 Cucuta Colombia 37.00
48 Curitiba Brazil 34.92

I rest my case. And the US cities listed on there are complete dumps run by democrats. The city where I reside is one of the safest in the country

I totally agree with you about Mexico. Haven't been in over two decades precisely because of this.
Just was pointing out that no where is safe, and you can't compare the stats of Mexico to the US is all.
I don't know what world you live, but even when I am in church now, I worry about someone coming in an starting shooting up the place, and what my reaction and plan would be. Like the OR shoot out thread.
We are not exactly safe here.
You know the Parkland school shooting happened in a wealthier suburb right?

Yeah and my brother in law is from Sheffield England and his family says the same thing is going on over there. Less guns more knives/cars/bombs. Crazy world we live in

Mexico outside of trusted tourist hotels areas is dangerously. I doubt this MD was inside the tourist area safe zone. The Mexican police heavily patrol the tourist areas. Most of these stories you hear about happen when people leave the safe zone.

However. Even these safe zones are no longer even safe. Sure it was 4am when this tourist got gun done in the tourist zone. But pretty scary the tourist zone areas not not immune to violence either.

California city official is gunned down while vacationing in Mexico

Yeah and my brother in law is from Sheffield England and his family says the same thing is going on over there. Less guns more knives/cars/bombs. Crazy world we live in
Show us skeptics some numbers that show that the UK has a higher murder rate than here. Not anecdotal hearsay.

Mexico outside of trusted tourist hotels areas is dangerously. I doubt this MD was inside the tourist area safe zone. The Mexican police heavily patrol the tourist areas. Most of these stories you hear about happen when people leave the safe zone.

However. Even these safe zones are no longer even safe. Sure it was 4am when this tourist got gun done in the tourist zone. But pretty scary the tourist zone areas not not immune to violence either.

California city official is gunned down while vacationing in Mexico

Have you read the full story about the CA official ?

It's a cultural issue. None of this BS in 1st world East Asian countries (SK, Japan, even China). The most that'll happen to you is probably you get ripped off

Yep!

And it’s always “some dude” who shot them for “no reason”.

Have you read the full story about the CA official ?
I have not the full story of the CA official. Being killed at 4am usually involves someone drinking/doing or buying drugs. Nothing comes good at a murder at 4am.

Which brings the point of this MD being killed. We don’t know the full story. I really don’t want to jump to conclusions.

Kinda of like many of us jumped to conclusion about the pain doctor and his legs anesthesia girlfriend killed at Boston luxury condo. And it happened to be a targeted robbery by former security guardman at the condo.

I don’t advocate sex tourism never done it myself. I traveled to Panama about a year ago and it was everywhere. But very professionally done. Many of them look very professional nails makeup dressed trendy then they tell you what it is they want from you. And not in a cat calling way. I was very surprised. I really wonder what lured this guy.

The violence in mexico is shadowed by the violence in countries like el salvador, venezuela. I must say when traveling in central america I stay on the resorts. When traveling in asia pretty much every country is very very safe much safer then the United States. We do not go to south central LA at 0200 in the morning. Dont go to the hood in mexico either and stay on the beaten path.

Exactly. I would personally avoid certain places in addition to this advice, but I agree that staying on the resorts is a good idea. Be careful at night, and if you do go places (depending on level of safety), travel in groups if possible, and keep your wits about you (i.e. don't get drunk). Yes, avoid certain places, especially at night.

Show us skeptics some numbers that show that the UK has a higher murder rate than here. Not anecdotal hearsay.

Where did I say it was higher? Just stating they aren’t over there singing Kumbaya. There’s a lot of violence everywhere. They have more issues with terrorists in the UK

2 Acapulco Mexico 113.24
5 Victoria Mexico 84.67
10 Natal Brazil 69.56
11 Belem Brazil 67.41
12 Aracaju Brazil 62.76
19 Salvador Brazil 54.71
20 Cali Colombia 54.00
21 Tijuana Mexico 53.06
23 Culiacan Mexico 51.81
24 Maceio Brazil 47.89
26 Mazatlan Mexico 48.75
27 Recife Brazil 47.89
32 Sao Luis Brazil 45.41
36 Juarez Mexico 43.63
38 Cuiaba Brazil 42.61
40 Obregon Mexico 42.02
44 Macapa Brazil 38.45
45 Manaus Brazil 38.25
46 Vitoria Brazil 37.54
47 Cucuta Colombia 37.00
48 Curitiba Brazil 34.92
I've passed through to 2 of the top 3 and a good number of the top 25 :D.
Life is cheap always has been.

Here's the thing.......

Yes, Mexico has always had it's violence, with most of it being drug cartel related. That violence is starting to spill into the resort areas where there are tourists with money. It's also correct that nothing good comes from wondering around a foreign country (or anywhere for that matter) at between 2-6 am. But yes, as stated, there are some very dangerous places in Latin America, parts of the Middle East, and even the Caribbean. You just have to be smart.

I think when looking at the "violent country rankings" it has to be taken somewhat with grain of salt. Much of that violence is drug cartel related as is the same in the US where much of the violence is gang related. Places like Detroit, Baltimore, and St. Louis have some very beautiful parts (yes, likely the suburbs) and your chance of being murdered in the middle of the day randomly are pretty slim. I'd argue that same can be said for Mexico, Jamaica, and the other stereotypical vacation spots associated with violence. The news headline almost never says, "Tourist killed at 2pm in broad daylight".

As US tourists we probably have to be a bit more vigilant nowadays when we travel abroad because despite wherever your political leanings my lie, we are not the most popular country given some of the rhetoric that comes out of Washington and certain news channels. Hell, we're about to lose a World Cup bid because of our declining popularity. So be careful no matter where you go.

Thing is, we all want to go on vacation and not have to worry, but unfortunately, times are different now so we have to be vigilant when traveling, whether it's Cabo, New York, London, Paris, or Nice. Stuff happens everywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
Hell, we're about to lose a World Cup bid because of our declining popularity.

I agree with all of your post except this bit. World Cup bids are won and lost on the basis of massive bribes.

If schoolgirl popularity, human rights violations, and invasion/annexation of neighboring countries factored into it, the next two World Cups wouldn't be hosted by ****ing Qatar and Russia. ;)

The bricks in the stadiums in Qatar are literally being mortared with the blood of slave laborers.

I think @Twiggidy is pretty spot on. Almost all the violence in MX is narco on narco crime. Even that resort shooting a few years ago was a narco hit. The Sinaloa boys really don't like the Zeta's and vice versa (The Zeta's are the scary ones that steal kid's organs and what not - El Chapo's Sinaloa cartel is pretty straight laced and just interested in running drugs). The Pacific Coast from Mazatlan to Aculpulco is cartel country. I would not travel off the beaten path in this part of MX. In these parts any "military age" male may be assumed to be a rival cartel member. Just about all of Baja is pretty safe, and I wouldn't hesitate to head to deep southern MX either (Oaxaca area).

Check out this surf trip feature to "Cartel Land" for some interesting perspective:
Cartel Land

You do have to remember though that MX is a 3rd world country, and like any other 3rd world country, life is cheap. Get into a scuffle here and you're likely to end up getting flipped off or maybe a black eye. Get into that same scuffle there and you're likely to end up stabbed and left in a ditch.

I agree with all of your post except this bit. World Cup bids are won and lost on the basis of massive bribes.

If schoolgirl popularity, human rights violations, and invasion/annexation of neighboring countries factored into it, the next two World Cups wouldn't be hosted by ****ing Qatar and Russia. ;)

The bricks in the stadiums in Qatar are literally being mortared with the blood of slave laborers.

Qatar is on the verge of losing the 2022 bid too.
England in line to host 2022 World Cup as FIFA consider stripping Qatar

You do have to remember though that MX is a 3rd world country, and like any other 3rd world country, life is cheap. Get into a scuffle here and you're likely to end up getting flipped off or maybe a black eye. Get into that same scuffle there and you're likely to end up stabbed and left in a ditch

Especially between 2 and 6am .....in the words of Lt. Murtaugh, "I'm too old for that s**t".