Anesthesiologist diet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our newest ortho sports surgeon absolutely started going to CrossFit when he came to town. We now have cornered that market, which is primarily well insured reasonably fit people.
Great thinking on his part. High tide raises all the boats.

Members don't see this ad.

Get some protein shakes. It helps with your satiety. Optimum nutrition basic chocolate is a high quality one that mixes well and doesn't taste bad (none taste delicious really).

Otherwise, intermittent fasting or snacks in the OR bag. I'm in the same situation and still am challenged to not overeat.

Dietary cholesterol intake has little bearing on the development of cardiovascular disease.
Never forget that it was unquestionable gospel, based on "the total consensus of 'experts'" for 30 years, that dietary cholesterol intake did have significant bearing on the development of cardiovascular disease.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Never forget that it was unquestionable gospel, based on "the total consensus of 'experts'" for 30 years, that dietary cholesterol intake did have significant bearing on the development of cardiovascular disease.
It doesn't? Citation? I eat pretty well and exercise. My LDL and HDL in my 20s still suck. Dad has had high cholesterol his whole life and same with grandpa. No ACS and my grandpa is closing on 90 and could probably run a marathon. All anecdotal...

It doesn't? Citation? I eat pretty well and exercise. My LDL and HDL in my 20s still suck. Dad has had high cholesterol his whole life and same with grandpa. No ACS and my grandpa is closing on 90 and could probably run a marathon. All anecdotal...
Familial hypercholesterolemia?

total cholesterol doesn't meet the definitions for that persay. Just have a LDL of 130 and HDl of 40. total cholesterol is 200. Same pattern as both my father and grandfather. Just find it interesting as they both eat a good amount of cholesterol, no acute coronary syndrome or heart issues whatsoever.

total cholesterol doesn't meet the definitions for that persay. Just have a LDL of 130 and HDl of 40. total cholesterol is 200. Same pattern as both my father and grandfather. Just find it interesting as they both eat a good amount of cholesterol, no acute coronary syndrome or heart issues whatsoever.
LDL particle size probably matters too. You and your family might not have a lot of the small, dense kind.

Doesn't technically fit the definition as my cholesterol is just above 200, in any case not sure what my diet should be given these publications hahaha. Just gonna try to exercise more I guess.

3 years into PP, I intermittent fast on the daily. Grew up my whole life eating 3 square meals a day, switched over this past year. I have lost weight (fat) and feel better/more mentally alert. I was probably only 5-10lbs overweight, but that was a change for me. When I was younger I ate whatever and was always thin. Call it slowing metabolism/aging. I am a huge proponent of intermittent fasting and it just makes my PP day easier because I can work through until dinnertime without eating. I should also mention that I wake up before work and do 15-20 minutes of weight lifting in my garage before riding my bicycle 4 miles to the hospital. My point being that I was doing some exercise daily, but my nutritional discipline was seriously weak.

Now, I not only eat less, but I actually pay more attention to how different types of food are affecting me.

Sounds like your problem is more related to trying to figure out foods that you can munch on during/between cases? Some of my partners are into dried berries and nuts (not salted: you will get too thirsty), there are always some protein bar proponents. Chugging a protein shake is quick, but then you will have a full bladder during the case. Cheese sticks are another idea of something easy to throw in the bag, they can easily be eaten wherever/whenever.

Reactions: 3 users
I like how just a couple years ago “grazing” was the hot trend. 6 small “mini meals” throughout the day.

Now intermittent fasting (which is just Millennial speak for skipping breakfast) is all the rage.

I wonder how long until it switches back??

3 years into PP, I intermittent fast on the daily. Grew up my whole life eating 3 square meals a day, switched over this past year. I have lost weight (fat) and feel better/more mentally alert. I was probably only 5-10lbs overweight, but that was a change for me. When I was younger I ate whatever and was always thin. Call it slowing metabolism/aging. I am a huge proponent of intermittent fasting and it just makes my PP day easier because I can work through until dinnertime without eating. I should also mention that I wake up before work and do 15-20 minutes of weight lifting in my garage before riding my bicycle 4 miles to the hospital. My point being that I was doing some exercise daily, but my nutritional discipline was seriously weak.

Now, I not only eat less, but I actually pay more attention to how different types of food are affecting me.

Sounds like your problem is more related to trying to figure out foods that you can munch on during/between cases? Some of my partners are into dried berries and nuts (not salted: you will get too thirsty), there are always some protein bar proponents. Chugging a protein shake is quick, but then you will have a full bladder during the case. Cheese sticks are another idea of something easy to throw in the bag, they can easily be eaten wherever/whenever.
Back in college (I played football) the cafeteria would have a dozen boiled eggs waiting for me in the line at breakfast that I would pocket and eat during classes over the course of the day. Maybe some iteration?

Doesn't technically fit the definition as my cholesterol is just above 200, in any case not sure what my diet should be given these publications hahaha. Just gonna try to exercise more I guess.
I can't figure out why I posted twice. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I like how just a couple years ago “grazing” was the hot trend. 6 small “mini meals” throughout the day.

Now intermittent fasting (which is just Millennial speak for skipping breakfast) is all the rage.

I wonder how long until it switches back??
Seriously. I've been intermittent fasting since long before it was cool. Realized early in med school I'm just more alert and feel better without breakfast and if I eat lunch, a smaller meal or snack is better, otherwise I get tired in the afternoon.

Seriously. I've been intermittent fasting since long before it was cool. Realized early in med school I'm just more alert and feel better without breakfast and if I eat lunch, a smaller meal or snack is better, otherwise I get tired in the afternoon.

Same! I've never liked breakfast and don't think much of lunch so I'd been "intermittent fasting " for years before I found out it was a thing. Only heard about it when my break was too short and my attending asked me if I was intermittent fasting and I'm like what's that?

Reactions: 1 user