Anesthesiologists doing thoracentesis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that anesthesiology is a procedure based speciality and right now I love Interventional radiology but do not like general rads (Finding tiny deficits on MRIs seem like something I could never do)...also the sheer volume of detailed anatomy and pathology is mind blowing. So I was thinking if anesthesiologists could do and bill for procedures like thoracentesis and drains and be able to bill for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I do my own thoracentesis, paracentesis, chest tubes, lines, etc, when I am in the ICU. Other than critical care I doubt that you could set up a way to do those procedures in the hospital. And if you didn't do a critical care fellowship you would not have the training to be credentialed to do such things.

I do my own thoracentesis, paracentesis, chest tubes, lines, etc, when I am in the ICU. Other than critical care I doubt that you could set up a way to do those procedures in the hospital. And if you didn't do a critical care fellowship you would not have the training to be credentialed to do such things.

thoracenteisis and paracentesis are core IM priviledges. You should be proficient in them as a general hospitalist without any fellowship. same with lines. Chest tube will vary on your desire to do them.