Anesthesiologists in/involved with the Pharmaceutical Industry?

Started by OxToCA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OxToCA

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to learn more about working for the FDA and/or in pharmaceutical development as an anesthesiologist. So, I'm posting here to gather your feedback since, according to some anesthesiologists, pursuing anesthesiology over another specialty is inadvisable since there isn't a need for new drugs. What are your opinions? Thank you.
 
Last edited:
IMO attending medical school and doing residency would be a waste of time if you want to work primarily in drug development. A Ph.D and post-doc in biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology makes a lot more sense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to develop drugs then get a combined PhD/MD and then do a post-doc AND a residency. It isn't just like you finish residency and walk up to a company and get an offer. Most won't even consider you unless you have significant research experience.
 
I have a good friend who heads a lab developing diabetes medications. Initially with Agouron, now with Pfizer since Agouron was acquired. He is a Ph.D biochemist with an expertise in X-Ray crystallography. For the stuff he is doing (actual drug development) an MD and anesthesiology residency would be a total waste of time.
 
Probably not the type of role you're looking for, but a potential moonlighting opportunity if nothing else...I work for a CRO doing a ton of phase 1 studies, and we use anesthesiologists a lot when we're working with emerging benzos (they're still coming up with new ones, apparently). Fairly bland work compared to the OR, I imagine, but we do give >10mg Versed IVSP and some other potent treats, so the PP anesthesiologists that come in for those studies are mandatory. And, I imagine, like all other things in private research, they make an easy grand or two for 6ish hours of work.