Anesthesiology as a USIMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTennis

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone think that I'm screwed trying to get into anesthesiology with a 207/85 on Step 1 as a USIMG?

Members don't see this ad.

you've definitely got an uphill battle ahead of you. make contact with your school's anesthesiology dept (if one exists) and hopefully someone knows someone in the states. impress on aways so strong LOR's can help make your cause. doing well on step 2 (>230) will also be a must since your step I is towards the lower end of applicants - some programs enforce a cutoff for step I that will keep you out. it gets tougher each year to match into anesthesiology, but everyone's heard of someone's best friend's sister-in-law's neighbor's nephew who got in with a 190 on step I - that person is the exception, not the rule.

and lastly - apply broadly!! shotgun approach is a must for any img to increase their likelihood of matching. and you can pretty much forget about any regional preference - just be willing to go anywhere if you're serious about anesthesia.

good luck, it sure as hell won't be easy, but i think you need to have a good idea of what you can expect and what you can do to maximize your chances.