Anesthesiology Navy Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soparklion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an attending anesthesiologist at an academic institution who is considering joining the Naval Reserves. I've never served before. I'm most concerned about the amount of time I'd be in training and the duration of time deployed. I'd also like to know more about the wage gap for the time that I'm deployed.

Any experiences appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an attending anesthesiologist at an academic institution who is considering joining the Naval Reserves. I've never served before. I'm most concerned about the amount of time I'd be in training and the duration of time deployed. I'd also like to know more about the wage gap for the time that I'm deployed.

Any experiences appreciated.
Depends on the rank. Weekend drill about 700 bucks. To start as an O3.

Huuuuge wage gap when deployed compared to anesthesia. You don’t do it for the money. You do it for patriotism and helping out the young enlisted people.

There are bonuses and all but don’t equate the difference in pay. And you have to be OK with getting shot at. Your boat is relatively safer than the ground, but could be in harms way.

This, word for word is coming from my friend who’s in the reserves. Not me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with the above. Currently serving as an army resident. Previously served Army reserves lower enlisted. You have to be ok with someone else telling you when and where to go as well as ok with a huge ****ing pay gap. Bear in mind, you would be serving ENTIRELY for the patriotism of it. Also keep in mind that you dont necessarily have to be deployed as an anesthesiologist. The brass sometimes only see numbers of slots to fill so it is entirely possible to be deployed outside of your role as an anesthesiologist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The brass sometimes only see numbers of slots to fill so it is entirely possible to be deployed outside of your role as an anesthesiologist.

@pgg please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Navy is much better about not doing this than the Army.

Does this offer loan repayment? I am older and I have been out for awhile but a recruiter recently contacted me.

@pgg please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Navy is much better about not doing this than the Army.
That is true.

OP already found the military medicine forum with a cross-post :), which is a better place to discuss. I'm going to close this duplicate thread and redirect discussion that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.