Anesthesiology Navy Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soparklion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an attending anesthesiologist at an academic institution who is considering joining the Naval Reserves. I've never served before. I'm most concerned about the amount of time I'd be in training and the duration of time deployed. I'd also like to know more about the wage gap for the time that I'm deployed.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an active Navy anesthesiologist. I don't know a lot about the reserve - other than we occasionally see them for about 2 weeks at a time, and insert them into our schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I could be activated as something other than an anesthesiologist... but I'm still serving in a physician role, right?

So I could be activated as something other than an anesthesiologist... but I'm still serving in a physician role, right?

You would not deploy as anything other than an anesthesiologist, except if you hold other credentials, such as Flight surgeon or Undersea med, general medical officer. If you hold a command eligible AQD, then maybe you would deploy as a CO or XO, but only for a medical command.

Seriously considering reserves in flight surgery as I really enjoyed this time. I am giving it second thoughts though despite the benefits of: accession bonus, 2 yr mobility deferment, concurrent credit for HPSP, ability to be with a squadron again, cheap healthcare, and othe fringe benefits

I will be joining a small single specialty group and honestly don’t think it will work for me. Not fair to small group for overhead, building practice, staffing etc. think it may be different in larger group or academic setting. So likely going to make a clean break

Seriously considering reserves in flight surgery as I really enjoyed this time. I am giving it second thoughts though despite the benefits of: accession bonus, 2 yr mobility deferment, concurrent credit for HPSP, ability to be with a squadron again, cheap healthcare, and othe fringe benefits

I will be joining a small single specialty group and honestly don’t think it will work for me. Not fair to small group for overhead, building practice, staffing etc. think it may be different in larger group or academic setting. So likely going to make a clean break
Activating your FS privileges is very doable in reserves in fact we’re short FS in general. There are many benefits to the reserves especially in a squadron billet. The downside are the mobilizations of course, but I like to deploy so not concerned much with this. I’ve enjoyed being a reservist. I haven’t done any anesthesia though, it’s all been FS

As far as balance of your job has that been doable? Mobilizations mostly 3 month or more 6 month range?

Are you part of private group or more larger hospital setting?

I’m in a small pp group. About a quarter of the guys are prior Navy and have been supportive so far. One deployment was 290 days. I haven’t seen 3 months. Most are over 180 days.

For anesthesia I guess you can plan that a little better. I am derm with a single specialty group and partner tract in 2 years. I think 6-9 months would wreck overhead, employees that work only for me and practice follow ups. I don’t mind deploying but when I was active there wasn’t something I was building up. Think that could be disruptive to me personally but I’m happy to see you have a supportive group

I’m in a small pp group. About a quarter of the guys are prior Navy and have been supportive so far. One deployment was 290 days. I haven’t seen 3 months. Most are over 180 days.
Props to your partners.

For anesthesia I guess you can plan that a little better. I am derm with a single specialty group and partner tract in 2 years. I think 6-9 months would wreck overhead, employees that work only for me and practice follow ups. I don’t mind deploying but when I was active there wasn’t something I was building up. Think that could be disruptive to me personally but I’m happy to see you have a supportive group

Yes, you need to look out for your civilian practice. I have heard many stories of groups kicking out partners due to deployments, etc. If you cannot find a workaround, I would not consider the reserves. Derm might be more forgiving, as there aren't many dermatology taskers that I have seen, but you shouldn't take those chances if it would wreak havoc on your civilian partners.

Yes, you need to look out for your civilian practice. I have heard many stories of groups kicking out partners due to deployments, etc. If you cannot find a workaround, I would not consider the reserves. Derm might be more forgiving, as there aren't many dermatology taskers that I have seen, but you shouldn't take those chances if it would wreak havoc on your civilian partners.

None of my partners or soon to be partners are military. They are supportive in theory or so they say but when your paying employees and overhead it gets expensive quickly. And I wouldn’t be doing derm, there are only like 2 billets in entire reserves for derm. It would be FS which I loved as a GMO but that is way more likely to be mobilized.