Anesthesiology Step 1 < 220 as DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO, step 1 <220, minimum Step 2 to guarantee anesthesiology?

• Total voters

DuckDuckGas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know there's no guarantee for anything but
what would i need to do/to score to reasonably guarantee anesthesiology with Step 1 <220?

PD survey for anesthesiology from 2016:
interquartile range for step 1 for almost never granting interview = 210 - 220, i think that means:
25% of programs don't grant interview for step 1 <220
75% of schools dont grant interview below 210.
please correct if im a statistics noob.
--------
Step 2:
Interquartile range for step 2 for almost always granting interview = roughly 230 - 240:
should i interpret that as 25% of programs almost always grant interview if score is above 230, and
75% programs almost always grant interview if score is above 240?

i think the trick is synthesizing the two statistics and making a daring attempt at working harder on step 2 to increase my chance of getting interview.

Considering im osteopathic + step 1 < 220 + not screwing up interviews,
just how high do i need score on Step 2 so the risk of not matching is reasonably low?

trying to figure out if it's doable and that if i try, I'll most likely match and not go unmatched. thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk why you couldn't just infer things based off the charting outcomes in the match data dude.

Seems very likely that in anesthesia you'll match without much issue even with 25-30% percentile scores like a 210. The question is whether you'll be able to be picky or not.

Reactions: 1 users