anesthesiology, the future, and an aging population

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes!

Among all specialties, a major contributor of future demand is an aging baby-boomer generation, which is also a very large demographic.

That being said, will this impact the practice of anesthesiology? It seems that the older the patient, the more likely they'll have other factors/complications that an MD/DO provider would need to consider in terms of putting together a specific plan for the patient.

Not sure if I'm overly hopeful, but this seems to contradict any "threats" from mid-level providers since the anesthesia plan for such patients (an increasing component of future case loads) would potentially be much more complicated and perhaps have more risks (regardless of proactive measures accounted for in an MD/DO dictated plan of attack) of problems in the OR.

Any input as to whether this logic is accurate? Any thoughts in general?

Members don't see this ad.

that is not accurate.....MDs aren't the only ones who know how to treat hypotenion, hypoxia, and tachycardia.

cfdavid said:
Hey dudes!

Among all specialties, a major contributor of future demand is an aging baby-boomer generation, which is also a very large demographic.

That being said, will this impact the practice of anesthesiology? It seems that the older the patient, the more likely they'll have other factors/complications that an MD/DO provider would need to consider in terms of putting together a specific plan for the patient.

Not sure if I'm overly hopeful, but this seems to contradict any "threats" from mid-level providers since the anesthesia plan for such patients (an increasing component of future case loads) would potentially be much more complicated and perhaps have more risks (regardless of proactive measures accounted for in an MD/DO dictated plan of attack) of problems in the OR.

Any input as to whether this logic is accurate? Any thoughts in general?

I wouldn't count on this saving the practice of anesthesia for Doc's.