Anki Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Mehc, I love anki as much as the next guy but sometimes I spend as much time studying anki as I do my classes. Can you help me out here? I'm trying to figure out how to do multiple groups of image occlusion (like blocking pairs on a krebs cycle, its in the tutorial and I still can't get it working!) , but I can't get it working.

Also, do you know how to update addons?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mehc, I love anki as much as the next guy but sometimes I spend as much time studying anki as I do my classes. Can you help me out here? I'm trying to figure out how to do multiple groups of image occlusion (like blocking pairs on a krebs cycle, its in the tutorial and I still can't get it working!) , but I can't get it working.

Also, do you know how to update addons?
I've heard from a lot of people that they are having issues with the Image Occlusion add-on right now in general, so I'd test a basic case to make sure it is not that.
Otherwise, I've always simply done it by selecting both of them and then choosing 'Group objects' in the SVG editor, and never had a problem with that. It then considers both squares to be one object which will be shown as white, clear, or red together.

Reactions: 1 user
So the thing is, on the website I see way more buttons than I see on my screen. I don't see the "grouping" blue rectangles it mentioned.

upload_2014-10-27_23-58-23.png

upload_2014-10-27_23-58-23.png

Members don't see this ad :)
So the thing is, on the website I see way more buttons than I see on my screen. I don't see the "grouping" blue rectangles it mentioned.

View attachment 186538
View attachment 186538
They don't show up until you have multiple shapes selected. So, make all of the rectangles individually, then select a group of them and the additional buttons appear at the top.

You're a hero. Thank you!

Last question: do you know how to update add ons?

Immuno, Orgo (reactions), Bio, Anatomy
How did you make ochem reaction cards? Like how do you put the compound you want and what its reacting with? and then on backside draw the new compound? Am i missing something here?

Edit: decided to give search function a try, all good now (search does wonders)

How did you make ochem reaction cards? Like how do you put the compound you want and what its reacting with? and then on backside draw the new compound? Am i missing something here?

Personally, I cloze'd them.

How do you utilize tagging? I see how you tag things, but I'm not sure how to go about making that beneficial.

How do you utilize tagging? I see how you tag things, but I'm not sure how to go about making that beneficial.
Always put more labels than you think you will need or use; it is easy to remove tags later if you see that you only have 1 or 2 things with a given label, but it is really hard to add tags in an efficient manner.

Personally, I always tagged according to the AAMC content outline for MCAT materials, as well as by course name.
I plan to tag according to FA when I get to that stage.

Always put more labels than you think you will need or use; it is easy to remove tags later if you see that you only have 1 or 2 things with a given label, but it is really hard to add tags in an efficient manner.

Personally, I always tagged according to the AAMC content outline for MCAT materials, as well as by course name.
I plan to tag according to FA when I get to that stage.
And then what do you do once you have them tagged? Does it help you go back to them? Or..

There are a LOT of Anki threads popping up in various places. I am by no means an expert, but I have been using it as my primary/only study method for the past year and feel comfortable explaining most of the features. I thought I'd just make a centralized Anki post rather than bouncing between all of the threads and messages I've seen recently concerning it.

First of all, Why Anki?

To answer this, we start with

Why SRS?
Spaced repetition software (SRS) is awesome. For those of you who don't know what SRS does, here's a brief intro:
SRS programs such as SuperMemo or Anki schedule your flashcard reviews so that the better you know something, the less frequently it gets asked. Essentially, if you can remember something after 4 days, it waits 8 days before asking the same question. If you get it wrong, you start seeing the card more frequently. This allows you to carry a large number of cards with only a small number of reviews per day. For example, I currently have ~4000 cards in my Anki decks, and I review between 50-100 every day, depending on how many new cards I have added recently. I am sitting at about 97% retention, which is crazy when you consider that some of these cards are from classes I took last year.

This is the main benefit of studying with an SRS program. It used to drive me crazy that I would learn so much and spend all of this money on courses only to waste it by retaining maybe 50% of it down the line. After reading about how people would study for med school tests, then relearn it all for the Step, then re-learn what they actually needed on the wards, etc., I got very frustrated at the inefficiency and decided to try SRS.

Wikipedia's vague overview of SRS
Anki's overview

Of course, Anki is not the only program to use these SRS algorithms. It's not even the first. Here is a cross post from another thread where I outline why I personally think that Anki specifically is a wonderful study option:

1) Cross-platform usability
You can use Anki online or download Anki on PC, Mac, Android, newer Blackberry, or iOS (though iOS Anki is insanely expensive for an app, it's not so much if you consider that it funds the others). Make your cards on the computer, where you have ease of use and computing power, and review them on the go whenever you have the time. Far better than having to access a website on a mobile device. Everything you do in one place is synced perfectly across your others (though if you don't sync at the beginning and end of sessions you will sometimes duplicate your work). Honestly, this is key because if you don't review daily, it's easy to get behind, get overwhelmed, or simply start forgetting more.
2) Fairly low entry barriers
This isn't a main one, but it's like Photoshop...if it's too confusing to get started, no one will. Anki has some basic settings so that, when you first decide to use it, it's pretty straightforward. So do the other flashcard programs, so this isn't necessarily an advantage over them, but if it didn't have this it would be at a disadvantage, so I'm including it.
3) Powerful card creation tools
OK, so you've been using Anki for a while and want to get fancy. This will take a bit of Googling and a bit of work...but it's worth it. Here you begin to see why it's so important to have a powerful desktop program in addition to the web and the mobile apps. Sure, you can just make a Front/Back card on your phone or online. That's simple enough. But the real power of Anki comes with customization. You can:
- Make your own custom Note templates: Use a list of one-word answers to generate a slew of fully formatted, properly worded cards. For classes such as Anatomy or anything else which requires learning large amounts of similar information from a table, this makes it easy. Simply design a template which allows you to enter the info straight from the table in your textbook, and let Anki make the actual cards from that information.
- Make multiple choice cards: OK, so this is a subset of the Note templates, but it's a neat trick. Personally, I tend to avoid MC because active recall is far more useful for long-term learning (and reading MC cards just slows me down - remembering is faster). However, sometimes it is useful to create your own test questions, as it prepares you for the style of questions you will see, and trying to make your own trick questions really gives you an idea of what the prof will be trying to test you on.
- Image Occlusion: This is a downloadable extension which lets you turn an image - say, a labelled Anatomy diagram or a biochem pathway map - into multiple usable cards. Copy the image, highlight the labels you want to test yourself on, and boom...that one Anatomy plate is now 20+ identification cards.
- Type your answers: Anki lets you type in your responses and then compares them to the answer field. This helps you keep yourself honest.
- Format your cards: Make a 'hints' field which is in white text, allowing you to highlight it for a clue. Add an 'explanations' field to your answers without it muddling them up. My personal favorite is to bold any information which is required (aka if I don't recall that piece of info, I get the card wrong). Unformatted text is a judgement call, and italics are fun facts which I find useful or interesting, but which I do not think are necessary. I can always 'pass' a card without recalling the italicized info, though I will not label it as 'easy' without.
-Try Incremental Reading: A terribly named way of essentially 'banking' large amounts of text to be converted into flashcards'). I have not tried this yet, but am itching to do so.
- Cloze Deletion: Write one dense, information-packed sentence, then tell Anki to show it to you without key words. Your job is to recall those key facts. This format is also designed to include hints.

The key is this: Do whatever works for you...and after a little work to set up your template, do it quickly. This is where Anki shines. Include images, text, or audio, and again, have that sync across all platforms.

4) Custom Study and Cram decks
A lot of people are used to using flashcards to cram, and when they first start Anki they make 1 of 2 errors. 1, they will make their review count too high because their Due count is low until they generate a lot of cards. 2, they will look to cram for a test, get frustrated that the deck is 'done' after 1 pass-through, and give up. Here's the thing: you can cram without messing up Anki's SRS settings (and without even changing your long-term review dates, if you want). Custom Study decks allow you to review all of your cards 80x in a row if you want (and either have it reschedule the cards or not affect your long-term scheduling). You can study a certain subset of them. You can increase your 'New' card limit for a day if you just added a ton of cards and have the time to crank through them, or just started a deck and have nothing else to do and waiting seems pointless to you. You can increase your 'Review' limit if you've gotten behind, or if you have a lot of time today and want to lighten your load for the next few days. Going out of town this weekend, or have a bunch of exams in the next 3d and don't want to get behind? 'Study Ahead' for 2-3d so that your Anki is out of the way and you can return to it post-vacation/post-exam without any catching up to do. Plus, Anki keeps track of 'Cram' studying separately, so you can see how much you are studying for SRS and how much you are studying for that test - separately. If you make a Cram deck, guess what...it shows up on all of your devices with syncing. This also means that you can set up your favorite Cram settings and just keep them as a separate deck which you 'rebuild' (a button at the bottom) whenever you want to study that way, on any device.
5) Stats
What's that, you say? Anki keeps track of things for you? Yup. At any given time you can look at how you are doing on each of your study decks - how many cards do you have? How many more are unseen? How many are young (review due in <20d), mature (due >20d), learning, or unseen? How often do you answer cards in each of those categories correctly? How many reviews do you do each day? Do you do better at certain times of day? How many cards are due tomorrow? How many cards are due every day for the next week? Has your retention increased or decreased in the past month compared to your average for the year? How long do you spend on each card? How long do you spend reviewing each day? How many days do you actually remember to review. As an added incentive, how much less time would you have to spend each day if you actually studied every day like you should? Anki answers all of these questions and more, with graphs, for each individual deck and card category (young, mature, learning).
6) Customizable SRS options
This is perhaps the most difficult part of Anki to 'get', but it is really important. You don't have to do it right away - it has taken me a full year to realize what truly works for me - but not having these options would be terrible. For example, I use card creation to learn the information. This means that I do not need or want an extended initial learning period - that just drives me crazy and rockets my Due count through the roof. I also like to keep the information for my current courses very fresh instead of going for long intervals. Anki lets you customize the various aspects of the algorithm to get the system that works for you. It is, however, pretty obtuse as to what each individual change does, so this is likely the very very last thing you will pick up

Is Anki free?

Members don't see this ad :)

Concur with @mehc012. Used cloze.

And then what do you do once you have them tagged? Does it help you go back to them? Or..
Yes. I can simply type in a tag in the Browser to find all cards with that tag. Or, I can make a custom study deck based on tag and practice only certain materials, for example only PS or only Physics. I use it often to sort out only the cards people want from me (a friend taking Anatomy recently asked me for a deck of only the Muscles, for example). When I was reviewing for the MCAT, I used tagging often to verify that I had thoroughly covered an entry in the content outline (I made cards during my ugrad courses and tagged for eventual MCAT review) - instead of making cards for that chapter, I would simply search for the appropriate tags, verify that I had cards for everything I wanted, and transfer those cards to my MCAT deck.

Basically, they make studying and deck management far, far easier.

Have you guys successfully been able to use the equation/formula feature? It looks like I have to download latex and deal with that but I haven't figured it out yet. My alternative instead of spending the time learning that right now is to find a picture of the formula online, save that to my computer, and use that instead, though it looks quite time consuming. I also want to use pictures to make orgo MCAT flashcards but again, I bet it'll take me forever and with my MCAT 1 month away, I'm not sure if I should spend the time on it or not. I would love to have flashcards to study on my phone when I'm out and about, though. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to working with pictures (finding pics, saving pics, cropping the equation I want, uploading, etc.) efficiently? Can I integrate a card from someone's shared deck who has already done this into my own decks?

I've spent so much time trying to figure out Anki. Obviously making basic front + back flashcards is fine but it seems the more beneficial stuff is not very straightforward and intuitive, at least not to me. I'm going to watch those YT videos on image occlusion and hopefully that will help me out.

I'm also having trouble with my screen resolution. The desktop app is not formulated for a 3200 x 1800 screen resolution (I'm running windows 8.1). The buttons become very tiny and out of proportion with the rest of the app so that is quite annoying. I've already asked their support about it and they've noted the problem and will hopefully fix it in the future. Until then, I guess I should learn all the keyboard shortcuts!

Have you guys successfully been able to use the equation/formula feature? It looks like I have to download latex and deal with that but I haven't figured it out yet. My alternative instead of spending the time learning that right now is to find a picture of the formula online, save that to my computer, and use that instead, though it looks quite time consuming. I also want to use pictures to make orgo MCAT flashcards but again, I bet it'll take me forever and with my MCAT 1 month away, I'm not sure if I should spend the time on it or not. I would love to have flashcards to study on my phone when I'm out and about, though. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to working with pictures (finding pics, saving pics, cropping the equation I want, uploading, etc.) efficiently? Can I integrate a card from someone's shared deck who has already done this into my own decks?

I've spent so much time trying to figure out Anki. Obviously making basic front + back flashcards is fine but it seems the more beneficial stuff is not very straightforward and intuitive, at least not to me. I'm going to watch those YT videos on image occlusion and hopefully that will help me out.

I'm also having trouble with my screen resolution. The desktop app is not formulated for a 3200 x 1800 screen resolution (I'm running windows 8.1). The buttons become very tiny and out of proportion with the rest of the app so that is quite annoying. I've already asked their support about it and they've noted the problem and will hopefully fix it in the future. Until then, I guess I should learn all the keyboard shortcuts!
I've never once used the actual buttons, but I know you can change their sizes. Keyboard is way easier anyway, though.
You also don't have to download pics to use them...just copy them and paste them. I also use the screenshot tool, as screen clippings are automatically placed in the clipboard.
Personally, I always edit my Windows keyboard to include mathematical symbols, fractions, and greek letters. It's pretty easy and then you can just type everything and/or cloze it for quick cards. I also just type/cloze for orgo equations.
You can take a look at my MCAT deck if you want some tips on how to format cards. No guarantees - they're just what works for me - but many people on here have messaged me telling me that they were helpful. I used only Anki and practice Qs to study (aka no notes, highlighting, videos, etc) and did reasonably well, so it is possible to do so...it just may not be what works for you :shrug:

I've never once used the actual buttons, but I know you can change their sizes. Keyboard is way easier anyway, though.
You also don't have to download pics to use them...just copy them and paste them. I also use the screenshot tool, as screen clippings are automatically placed in the clipboard.
Personally, I always edit my Windows keyboard to include mathematical symbols, fractions, and greek letters. It's pretty easy and then you can just type everything and/or cloze it for quick cards. I also just type/cloze for orgo equations.
You can take a look at my MCAT deck if you want some tips on how to format cards. No guarantees - they're just what works for me - but many people on here have messaged me telling me that they were helpful. I used only Anki and practice Qs to study (aka no notes, highlighting, videos, etc) and did reasonably well, so it is possible to do so...it just may not be what works for you :shrug:

Wow, I just downloaded your Anki deck and it is very extensive. I love it, thank you so much for sharing it! Thanks for the tip of copying and pasting! I didn't know about that. I just tried it and it does make things a lot easier.

So I want to fool around with my Cloze deletion card styling.

Say I have a note that says: "The capital of {{c1::Nebraska}} is {{c2::Lincoln}}."

That makes two sibling cards, one of which says, "The capital of [...] is Lincoln." and the other which says, "The capital of Nebraska is [...]."

Can I change the style of the card so that the words clozed in the card's sibling are bolded? Hard to explain in text, but I want to end up with cards that bold the term that ISN'T clozed in this card, but IS clozed in the sibling card. Going with my examples above, it would look like "The capital of [...] is Lincoln." and "The capital of Nebraska is [...]."

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this? I've done some style editing before, so I'm not completely clueless.

(I understand I could just bold the words manually every time, but if I can figure out how to change the styling, the change would take effect through all my cards...)

Say I have a note that says: "The capital of {{c1::Nebraska}} is {{c2::Lincoln}}."

That makes two sibling cards, one of which says, "The capital of [...] is Lincoln." and the other which says, "The capital of Nebraska is [...]."

Can I change the style of the card so that the words clozed in the card's sibling are bolded? Hard to explain in text, but I want to end up with cards that bold the term that ISN'T clozed in this card, but IS clozed in the sibling card. Going with my examples above, it would look like "The capital of [...] is Lincoln." and "The capital of Nebraska is [...]."

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this? I've done some style editing before, so I'm not completely clueless.

(I understand I could just bold the words manually every time, but if I can figure out how to change the styling, the change would take effect through all my cards...)
Hmmm...that's a cool idea. I'll work on it.
In the meantime, though, since you have to either select the word or type formatting on either end anyway, it should be almost zero extra effort to simply bold the cloze selections.

In the meantime, though, since you have to either select the word or type formatting on either end anyway, it should be almost zero extra effort to simply bold the cloze selections.

Yeah, I mentioned that as a workaround in my post, but it wouldn't take effect through my extensive collection of existing cards. The other (more minor) problem is that I compose my Anki cards in a Google Docs spreadsheet that I share with my class, so I can't accomplish this as easily. It's true that I could add bold tags to the AutoHotKey script that I used to insert the {{c1::...}}'s, but I'm not sure my classmates want that formatting.

Yeah, I mentioned that as a workaround in my post, but it wouldn't take effect through my extensive collection of existing cards. The other (more minor) problem is that I compose my Anki cards in a Google Docs spreadsheet that I share with my class, so I can't accomplish this as easily. It's true that I could add bold tags to the AutoHotKey script that I used to insert the {{c1::...}}'s, but I'm not sure my classmates want that formatting.

As a follow-up to this discussion: The official word from Anki support is that this isn't possible: https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop/3735-card-styling

Oh well! It probably would've been distracting, anyway.

Hi mehc, I was wondering what you're doing with your MCAT cards after the test? Are you keeping up with the ones you feel will be useful and suspending the rest? I have about as many as you do and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to keep up with them after the test is over. Thanks :)

Hi mehc, I was wondering what you're doing with your MCAT cards after the test? Are you keeping up with the ones you feel will be useful and suspending the rest? I have about as many as you do and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to keep up with them after the test is over. Thanks :)
I just shove them all into my giant 'Review' deck and keep the Review counts low.

I just shove them all into my giant 'Review' deck and keep the Review counts low.
Thanks for the quick response!
Does it mess with the card scheduling if you're seeing cards after when they're actually due (or it doesn't really matter since you're never taking the MCAT again)?

Also, out of curiosity, why do you bury new related cards in your review deck?

Thanks for the quick response!
Does it mess with the card scheduling if you're seeing cards after when they're actually due (or it doesn't really matter since you're never taking the MCAT again)?

Also, out of curiosity, why do you bury new related cards in your review deck?
It doesn't...if you take an extended period of time to view a card, that is taken into account when the new review interval is calculated.

The 'Bury related new cards' setting is mostly irrelevant if things are working well, though tbh I let my Anatomy deck wait too long (several months) after learning it very quickly, so I basically just restarted that entire deck and therefore have new cards in my review deck.

Hi mehc012
I have read your post on anki - it helped me immensely!
Just a quick question - what kind of setting would you ideally suggest to finish up cramming about 7000 cards in about 20 days?
(Provided I have gone through the material twice - and I only really need to cram) both in terms of new cards and reviews per day. Is it humanly possible?

Last edited:
Hi mehc012
I have read your post on anki - it helped me immensely!
Just a quick question - what kind of setting would you ideally suggest to finish up cramming about 7000 cards in about 20 days?
(Provided I have gone through the material twice - and I only really need to cram) both in terms of new cards and reviews per day. Is it humanly possible?
I would make a Cram deck, to avoid screwing up your actual review times and extending your misery beyond the 20 days.

Is it advisable to convert lecture slides (which have text and diagrams) to images to occlusion cards? I feel like it saves enormous amounts of time (or is at least less tedious than to copy-pasting text and diagrams into Anki), but I'm worried that the term's and diagram's associations with certain slides and positioning on the slides will "cue" me in too much - and these cues won't be on any test. It's for molecular bio next semester, if that matters. :)

I hope this makes sense. And thanks in advance

Is it advisable to convert lecture slides (which have text and diagrams) to images to occlusion cards? I feel like it saves enormous amounts of time (or is at least less tedious than to copy-pasting text and diagrams into Anki), but I'm worried that the term's and diagram's associations with certain slides and positioning on the slides will "cue" me in too much - and these cues won't be on any test. It's for molecular bio next semester, if that matters. :)

I hope this makes sense. And thanks in advance
I wouldn't, but then, I have stopped using Image Occlusion entirely because I prefer being able to type my responses and I never feel as if I learn from the process of making Image Occlusion cards. For me, the process of making cards is where I actually absorb the material, so if I make it too quick/easy (i.e. do so in ways which don't require me to understand them in order to make the card quickly) they lose utility for me.

That's just me, though. That's how I use cards. If you primarily learn from the repetitive part of the process, perhaps this strategy will work for you. You'll have to try it and see!

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't, but then, I have stopped using Image Occlusion entirely because I prefer being able to type my responses and I never feel as if I learn from the process of making Image Occlusion cards. For me, the process of making cards is where I actually absorb the material, so if I make it too quick/easy (i.e. do so in ways which don't require me to understand them in order to make the card quickly) they lose utility for me.

That's just me, though. That's how I use cards. If you primarily learn from the repetitive part of the process, perhaps this strategy will work for you. You'll have to try it and see!
Okay, thank you! :)

I am a third year medical student and I used Anki heavily during the first two years with amazing results. I still use it here and there on the wards. I was frustrated by the inability to use other people's Mental Case decks, so I wrote a program to do the conversion automatically. This gives one access to a whole new population of cards from other users. If you find yourself in the same situation, check it out here: http://anki.drcharms.net. The program is free for unlimited use online, and there is also a downloadable version for Windows.

I am a third year medical student and I used Anki heavily during the first two years with amazing results. I still use it here and there on the wards. I was frustrated by the inability to use other people's Mental Case decks, so I wrote a program to do the conversion automatically. This gives one access to a whole new population of cards from other users. If you find yourself in the same situation, check it out here: http://anki.drcharms.net. The program is free for unlimited use online, and there is also a downloadable version for Windows.
Thanks for putting that up here for people to see! I remember stumbling across your site before, but it slipped my mind as I do not use Mental Case and I am a strong proponent of making your own cards (despite posting my MCAT deck to share...oops?)

This may have been answered before, but w/o reading through countless anki threads can someone please tell me the best solution to my problem?

Basically I have several large decks that I let get way behind after finishing the class. I need to start relearning them (probably forgot a large chunk by now). This will be in addition to my current classes so I need it to be light, but I figured it would be better to do little pieces than none at all.

What would be the best option for this case? Resetting the whole deck or...?

thx in advance

This may have been answered before, but w/o reading through countless anki threads can someone please tell me the best solution to my problem?

Basically I have several large decks that I let get way behind after finishing the class. I need to start relearning them (probably forgot a large chunk by now). This will be in addition to my current classes so I need it to be light, but I figured it would be better to do little pieces than none at all.

What would be the best option for this case? Resetting the whole deck or...?

thx in advance
Personally, when I'm done with a class, I dump all of its cards into my Review deck. This Review deck has a very small 'New' due limit, and a manageable Review limit. If I were you, I'd reset each of those decks, dump them all into your Review deck, and slowly work through them...keep your New limit to ~10, and do extra in a Cram session if you find yourself with additional time. You'll get through all of them eventually, but you can focus on your current materials.

Personally, when I'm done with a class, I dump all of its cards into my Review deck. This Review deck has a very small 'New' due limit, and a manageable Review limit. If I were you, I'd reset each of those decks, dump them all into your Review deck, and slowly work through them...keep your New limit to ~10, and do extra in a Cram session if you find yourself with additional time. You'll get through all of them eventually, but you can focus on your current materials.

Ok the review deck thing is something I do as well. When you say reset, you mean just make them new cards again correct? That's probably a good idea because there's to many I won't remember to keep them as reviews

Ok the review deck thing is something I do as well. When you say reset, you mean just make them new cards again correct? That's probably a good idea because there's to many I won't remember to keep them as reviews
Yup...select them all in the Browser and hit Reschedule/Place at end of New card queue

I do this periodically if I've neglected my decks. After the MCAT going into the holidays, I went a few months w/o reviewing, so I just reset yesterday!

appreciate the quick and helpful responses! I figured that was the answer but just wanted to make sure anki gurus didn't know a better way. thanks!

I had some trouble finding this, so I thought I'd post it.

If you want to type the answer for a cloze deletion, use this:

Front Template
{{cloze:Text}}
<br>
{{type:cloze:Text}}

Back Template
<br>

Then make the card just as you would with any other cloze card. For example,

Text
{{c1::biology}}: the study of life

I had some trouble finding this, so I thought I'd post it.

If you want to type the answer for a cloze deletion, use this:

Front Template
<br>

Back Template
<br>

Then make the card just as you would with any other cloze card. For example,

Text
{{c1::biology}}: the study of life

Can I ask what type of material you find typing useful for?

Can I ask what type of material you find typing useful for?
I use typing as frequently as possible. I find it keeps me honest on my recall, and somehow typing it solidifies things in my memory better than just reading. It's similar to the difference between listening to someone talk and writing it down, in my mind .

I use it for equations, Cloze sentences, Cloze reactions (I see you, Orgo), Basic cards...pretty much everything. I use typing hints for myself to remind me of format (lc = lowercase, lclist, alpha = list all in alphabetical order separated by commas and entirely lowercase, etc.)

If I'm having difficulty recalling a card, I remake it so that typing is possible. I'm not sure whether the subsequent improvement (it always helps) is due to the typing or simply the fact that typable cards always, by their nature, have discrete, clear answers (as all cards should), but it's probably a bit of both. I know that there are some early cards of mine which are already discrete/clear but which were made before I started typing responses...I still do better on those ones once I simply activate typing. As always, YMMV.

Note: I turn off typing responses when on mobile, of course.

Thanks for this thread @mehc012 -- it's been a big help in getting acquainted with Anki in preparation for MS1.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone having difficulties with Image Occlusion, @wuhsabee posted a detailed solution elsewhere. Thought I'd share!
Hey! I had this exact problem happened to me and it took a long time to figure it out. I even posted on the anki forum page, lol, but ended up figuring it out at the end...here was what I did:

What you first want to do is to update your Anki to the newest version, and then delete the add-on, and re-add the add-on again. Try that and see if it works. Some people said they had successes with this.

If that doesn't work, here was what FINALLY worked for me:

1.) Click on "File" >> "Switch Profile" >> Add

That's it. I just made a new profile, then made a new deck. I tried image occlusion on the new deck in the NEW PROFILE, and it worked perfectly - with both JPG and PNG files. It works on my Android app, too!

I then imported all the decks from the previous profile to the new profile, and checked again to see if image occlusion still worked - and it did. (If you import the decks and image occlusion stops working, then there might be something wrong with your previous decks.) - If you need help in transferring all the decks from old profile to new profile, refer to the bottom.

Another tip - sometimes in the SVG editor, when I'm done with the rectangles and click on the blue icon (add notes with non-overlapping occlusions) or orange icon (add notes with overlapping occlusions), a note pop up that says "X notes added". What you then do after that is absolutely critical. You have to:

1.) Click "SVG-Edit" at the top >> New Image >> OK
BEFORE closing out of the window.

If you close out of the window before doing this, the image occlusion thing doesn't work and it doesn't add your notes. You then have to re-start Anki and it's super annoying because you have to do this for every note. And it funks up image occlusion.

===================================================================================

For me, even though I made a new profile, the image occlusion still does not work in my OLD profile.

To import your original deck into the new user profile, do this:

1.) Go to your original profile

2.) Click on the dropdown menu next to the deck(s) you wish to export >> "Export" (I have attached an image).

3.) On the pop-up window, next to the "Include" dropdown menu, select which decks you would like to export. You can click "All Decks" if you want to export out all decks.

4.) If it's not already checked, check both of the boxes that say "include scheduling info"/"include media".

5.) Click "Export"

6.) Select a folder where you would like to save the files to. (I created a folder on my Desktop for easy access) >> Save.

7.) Click on "File" >> "Switch Profile" >> Go to your new profile

8.) Click on "File" >> "Import"

9.) Find the folder where you saved the previous files (easy if you have it on Desktop), and select it >> "Open"

TADA! Should have all your original decks on the new profile AND your old profile. I also tried doing image occlusions on the old decks that I have moved from my original profile, and it WORKED (in the new profile)!! Hallelujah.

Let me know if this works!

Reactions: 1 users