Annoying cr@p your classmates do....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a rant/vent thread....annoying classmates that you just want to haul off and slap silly but can't because it wouldn't look good on your dean's letter or CV---

Two of my experiences ---

So I come back from grabbing lunch and set my lunch down in the cubicle in the bullpen. I pulled out two bottled drinks (new styles) and set them on the desk.....about that time, my symptomatic, hacking, coughing, sniffling "I'm sick" classmate goes -"Oh, cool, what's that?"....as they start to reach for the bottles, I told them "don't touch the bottles, I don't want your cooties".....but they proceed to grab them anyway after having just had a coughing fit into their hands when I walked in the door....--thanks, I don't want to get sick...

While in a lunch briefing, a classmate who wears 'sandals' i.e. flip flops but since they're 'dressy' and she's of a different culture, it's ok.....proceeds to take them off and sit cross legged in the chair.....and then go to town picking her toes during the lecture. Thinks nothing of it and spent the hour doing it.....I just had to turn toward the front of the room and look away...

Members don't see this ad.

This is a rant/vent thread....annoying classmates that you just want to haul off and slap silly but can't because it wouldn't look good on your dean's letter or CV---

So I come back from grabbing lunch and set my lunch down in the cubicle in the bullpen. I pulled out two bottled drinks (new styles) and set them on the desk.....about that time, my symptomatic, hacking, coughing, sniffling "I'm sick" classmate goes -"Oh, cool, what's that?"....as they start to reach for the bottles, I told them "don't touch the bottles, I don't want your cooties".....but they proceed to grab them anyway after having just had a coughing fit into their hands when I walked in the door....--thanks, I don't want to get sick...

While in a lunch briefing, a classmate who wears 'sandals' i.e. flip flops but since they're 'dressy' and she's of a different culture, it's ok.....proceeds to take them off and sit cross legged in the chair.....and then go to town picking her toes during the lecture. Thinks nothing of it and spent the hour doing it.....I just had to turn toward the front of the room and look away...

Was this really worth making a thread over? I think you need to get out more. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that's funny...I miss picking my toes during lecture...

ever been out to a big town, boy?
you gotta go see one of them fancy outhouses

:rolleyes:

I am quite concerned about med schools accepting students like the OP... I fear for the patients when these people care for a more diverse population of patients and experience some severe culture shock, "oh, these black people all do this, those Asian people all believe this, etc"

I am quite concerned about med schools accepting students like the OP... I fear for the patients when these people care for a more diverse population of patients and experience some severe culture shock, "oh, these black people all do this, those Asian people all believe this, etc"

Diversity is a spectrum. That requires some of us to be culturally inept.

Depends on what you consider a big town, que no?

So, pray tell, educate me about cultural awareness, oh wise one.....please inform me about your experiences which will obviously be far more intriguing than...

-watching a camel get slaughtered at Suk-e-juma in Libya and then have the pieces sold/given away to the highest bidder.
- knowing which cup of coffee you can safely leave after so as not to offend your Libyan host
-riding out a sandstorm in a volkswagen that turned noon into midnight with all the sand.
-listening to the sounds of a 13 year old Libyan male screaming as a circumcision was performed on him sans anesthetic to celebrate his becoming 'a man', complete with party favors, music and dancing.
--all this while living there, not just vacationing for a week or so or doing an exchange student schtick for 3 or 4 months, for 3 or so years.

then we move on to....

- knowing why you don't dare stop a rolling coin in thailand by stepping on it.
- learning to enjoy the delicacies of that ever pungent Filipino dish called 'balut'.
- being invited to and going to a party where the main course was the puppy you saw on your last visit a year ago to the village.
- knowing whether or not it's "ok" for two males to walk down a street holding hands in certain far eastern cultures.
- knowing whether or not it's 'culturally acceptable' for a grandmother to sit outside on the porch (or more appropriately squat) and smoke a cigar with the cherry inside her mouth, not on the outside.
- be accepting of the aboriginal headhunter who still practices cannibalism and smiles at you when you hand him a 10 pound sack of rice.
- recognize that in some asian cultures, small children aren't diapered but allowed to defecate/urinate wherever it hits as diapers are a bit tedious to deal with, not to mention expensive.
-being in places where it was perfectly okay to sell your daughter into prostitution to pay off a debt to a club owner who would then sell her again to whoever paid the 'bar fine'.
---and learn all this by living in the culture, again, not just vacationing for 3 or so months, for greater than 10 years......

The whole sandals/toe picking issue was for a colleague who's supposed to be a medical professional and subject to the same dress codes/social mores that everyone else is.......

Have a nice day...

The only question I have is what a bottled drink (new style) is. For what its worth, I saw a camel at the zoo once. :)

So, pray tell, educate me about cultural awareness, oh wise one.....please inform me about your experiences which will obviously be far more intriguing than...

Have a nice day...

Clearly you should have your own show on the Discovery channel.

What you just wrote made you sound even more pathetic and it definitely highlights your limited outlook.

You basically argue that because you have lived in several African and Asian countries, you are considered "cultural inept" despite the fact that the skin color of the subject is a big enough concern that you had to point out "she's of a different culture". You know.... people of all cultures pick their toes. I bet the Thai grandma has done it too or even our First Lady at some point of her life.

It doesn't matter where you have lived, as long as you still see the world though a tinted glass, you are still not culturally inept. Pathetic.
If you are born a hick, it doesn't matter how much diamonds and golds you put on yourself, you are still a hick PERIOD.

FYI: check your PM, kid. Do you think that I am supposed to be awed by your experiences with those locals? Your experience is quite run-of-the-mill among my co-workers back when I was working in nyc....

-watching a camel get slaughtered at Suk-e-juma in Libya and then have the pieces sold/given away to the highest bidder.
- knowing which cup of coffee you can safely leave after so as not to offend your Libyan host
-riding out a sandstorm in a volkswagen that turned noon into midnight with all the sand.
-listening to the sounds of a 13 year old Libyan male screaming as a circumcision was performed on him sans anesthetic to celebrate his becoming 'a man', complete with party favors, music and dancing.
--all this while living there, not just vacationing for a week or so or doing an exchange student schtick for 3 or 4 months, for 3 or so years.

then we move on to....

- learning to enjoy the delicacies of that ever pungent Filipino dish called 'balut'.
- being invited to and going to a party where the main course was the puppy you saw on your last visit a year ago to the village.
- knowing whether or not it's "ok" for two males to walk down a street holding hands in certain far eastern cultures.
- knowing whether or not it's 'culturally acceptable' for a grandmother to sit outside on the porch (or more appropriately squat) and smoke a cigar with the cherry inside her mouth, not on the outside.
- be accepting of the aboriginal headhunter who still practices cannibalism and smiles at you when you hand him a 10 pound sack of rice.
- recognize that in some asian cultures, small children aren't diapered but allowed to defecate/urinate wherever it hits as diapers are a bit tedious to deal with, not to mention expensive.
-being in places where it was perfectly okay to sell your daughter into prostitution to pay off a debt to a club owner who would then sell her again to whoever paid the 'bar fine'.
---and learn all this by living in the culture, again, not just vacationing for 3 or so months, for greater than 10 years......

The whole sandals/toe picking issue was for a colleague who's supposed to be a medical professional and subject to the same dress codes/social mores that everyone else is.......

Have a nice day...

Last edited:
Dudes, he was saying people didn't mind her wearing sandals because in her culture that is formal enough. I assumed she was Indian or something. He didn't seem to have a problem with that, it was the fact that she was picking her toes in public. I think we can all agree that is a bit gauche. There is nothing wrong with doing it at home, but no one wants to see that. Imagine if he had said: There is a girl who had long nails, which are ok because it is part of her culture, and she spent the whole lecture picking her nose with it. Would you not be grossed out? The culture part had nothing to do with it! Chill out!

that's just stereotyping
have you not seen a white doctor wearing strappy sandals?

Dudes, he was saying people didn't mind her wearing sandals because in her culture that is formal enough. I assumed she was Indian or something. He didn't seem to have a problem with that, it was the fact that she was picking her toes in public. I think we can all agree that is a bit gauche. There is nothing wrong with doing it at home, but no one wants to see that. Imagine if he had said: There is a girl who had long nails, which are ok because it is part of her culture, and she spent the whole lecture picking her nose with it. Would you not be grossed out? The culture part had nothing to do with it! Chill out!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is America, you could be on the wards, walking backwards, wearing a monkey suit, and knocking over trashcans, and get away with it if you say it's part of your culture/religion.

Lol but to play on the things your classmates do..

i HATE, HATE classmates that'll interrupt you to add some bs they read on uptodate to try and outshine you...do they not understand that residents/attendings pick up on this garbage?

What you just wrote made you sound even more pathetic and it definitely highlights your limited outlook.

You basically argue that because you have lived in several African and Asian countries, you are considered "cultural inept" despite the fact that the skin color of the subject is a big enough concern that you had to point out "she's of a different culture". You know.... people of all cultures pick their toes. I bet the Thai grandma has done it too or even our First Lady at some point of her life.

It doesn't matter where you have lived, as long as you still see the world though a tinted glass, you are still not culturally inept. Pathetic.
If you are born a hick, it doesn't matter how much diamonds and golds you put on yourself, you are still a hick PERIOD.

FYI: check your PM, kid. Do you think that I am supposed to be awed by your experiences with those locals? Your experience is quite run-of-the-mill among my co-workers back when I was working in nyc....

Hmm, looks like someone pissed in your Wheaties this AM....

So, where to begin....

I don't recall ever saying/typing/thinking anything about race when I referred to 'sandals/flip-flops' but you seemed to jump right on the ol' race card and stereotype skin color. As you made a referral to the First Lady, sounds like you are stereotyping AA's as flip-flop wearing toe-pickers....may want to look in the mirror to function check if you have any cultural ineptness.....just bringing up food for thought, not being accusatory....

You quoted that I am "still not culturally inept"....Thank you for making my point that due to some experiences in my life, I take culture and background into account....you yourself stated that I am not culturally inept......

You call my life experiences run-of-the-mill amongst your NYC co-workers -- so since you seem to think they were culturally competent, again, you make my point that I do have some modicum of cultural competence....again, thank you...not that your opinion of me or my life experiences really matters.....

You call me 'kid'....again, thanks....I'm rolling up on the half-century mark.....

Since you chose to PM me rather than 'reveal' your resume'/CV in the open, I'll be kind and not comment here. I will say that it fits with your attitude/impression of yourself....

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming......

Oh, by the way, in reference to your use of 'diamonds and golds'....I think the sentence you were looking for was,"You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig".....

Have fun....

I absolutely hate when an attending asks me something that I don't know, and before he or she can ask another student or the rest of the group, one student speaks up and says the answer. Attendings don't seem to like that either

Why do you care about what coralfangs is saying? The only thing that's silly is that some ***** doesn't like what you wrote about someone wearing sandals and implied you were a racist and now you're trying to prove you're not. coralfangs is just taking the position of "I'm the most easily offended person in the room, therefore appease me," which makes sense since he/she has friends in NYC and that's the center of stuck-up douches who think they're the most cosmopolitan people in the room.

Why do you care about what coralfangs is saying? The only thing that's silly is that some ***** doesn't like what you wrote about someone wearing sandals and implied you were a racist and now you're trying to prove you're not. coralfangs is just taking the position of "I'm the most easily offended person in the room, therefore appease me," which makes sense since he/she has friends in NYC and that's the center of stuck-up douches who think they're the most cosmopolitan people in the room.

Oh, I don't know....I guess I was bored and it seemed like an amusing diversion at the time.....

then we move on to....

---and learn all this by living in the culture, again, not just vacationing for 3 or so months, for greater than 10 years.........

There is no where on the planet where it is 'perfectly okay' to sell your daughter into prostitution to pay off a bar tab. Even in whatever ****hole country you were in that was still a serious crime and an off the charts ****ty thing to do. Were you a military brat? You strike me as someone who learned about the foreign culture off base as narrated by a pissed off gunnery sergeant. If not, still, raise your standards for the rest of the world.

Last edited:
I still want to know more about these bottled drinks (new styles).

I absolutely hate when an attending asks me something that I don't know, and before he or she can ask another student or the rest of the group, one student speaks up and says the answer. Attendings don't seem to like that either

I only hate it if the student that speaks up is wearing sandals. :smuggrin:

There is no where on the planet where it is 'perfectly okay' to sell your daughter into prostitution to pay off a bar tab. Even in whatever ****hole country you were in that was still a serious crime and an off the charts ****ty thing to do. Were you a military brat? You strike me as someone who learned about the foreign culture off base as narrated by a pissed off gunnery sergeant.

Also, get over the shoes. It sounds like you've spent a significant amount of time in the world's various asscracks, so draw on your experiences and be happy when you're in a culture that go nuts over who wears what.

No---actually learned about the culture by diddy-bopping out the main checkpoint, bypassing Town Patrol, and meandering through the avenues and alleys of various garden spots around the known Planet Earth with one or two buds who were bored to tears and stupid enough to go looking for adventure on our own w/nothing but ID cards, a pack of cigarettes and a few bucks in
our pockets.....and lived to tell about it...the things you do as a teenager....

Hmm, looks like someone pissed in your Wheaties this AM....

So, where to begin....

I don't recall ever saying/typing/thinking anything about race when I referred to 'sandals/flip-flops' but you seemed to jump right on the ol' race card and stereotype skin color. As you made a referral to the First Lady, sounds like you are stereotyping AA's as flip-flop wearing toe-pickers....may want to look in the mirror to function check if you have any cultural ineptness.....just bringing up food for thought, not being accusatory....

You quoted that I am "still not culturally inept"....Thank you for making my point that due to some experiences in my life, I take culture and background into account....you yourself stated that I am not culturally inept......

You call my life experiences run-of-the-mill amongst your NYC co-workers -- so since you seem to think they were culturally competent, again, you make my point that I do have some modicum of cultural competence....again, thank you...not that your opinion of me or my life experiences really matters.....

You call me 'kid'....again, thanks....I'm rolling up on the half-century mark.....

Since you chose to PM me rather than 'reveal' your resume'/CV in the open, I'll be kind and not comment here. I will say that it fits with your attitude/impression of yourself....

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming......

Oh, by the way, in reference to your use of 'diamonds and golds'....I think the sentence you were looking for was,"You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig".....

Have fun....

good for you that you are half a century old and you are still bothered by some girl who is young enough to be your daughter

Was it really that necessary to point out that she is of a different culture? Besides if you think it's okay for THAT person to wear sandals at the hospital, you are being a racist. Being cultural aware is not only about accepting other cultures at appropriate times, it's also about treating everyone the same at all times without discriminating anyone based on their race and culture.
Is that so hard to understand? I guess it is true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

By implying that you think it's okay for someone to violate a rule or a policy simply because that person is of a different culture, you are being a racist. It is because you treat them differently. Yes, you might have thought that you are respecting her culture. However, you are ultimately creating a two-tier system such that you are providing different levels of care and safety precautions for people of different cultures. Is it okay to only require white people in the hospital to wear protective clothings and shoes while people of THAT culture can wear whatever the hell they want? Letting her wear her sandals because you think that's what people of her culture do is NOT being culturally aware. You are simply endangering her life.
Hell, is it okay to ignore your patients' cigarettes or marijuana smoking habits because you think people of their culture do so? No!
Oh, is it okay for certain Europeans to smoke cigarettes indoor? No!

Hey, by the way different cultures have different ways of saying "You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig" :rolleyes: In a lot of Asian countries, they use gold instead of lipstick. Thought you might have known about it, you know.
and hey, you told me where you've been, I think it's only fair for me to tell you where I've been so that we are on level playing field and you won't think you are more culturally aware than everyone else here just because you've talked to some grandma in an Asian country.

Go ahead and vent. Good for the soul. But those things seem kind of minor.

Wait till your classmate is trying to give you a list of 'to dos' at checkout that should have been done during the day (like to update the family). Or the times you cover call for a classmate but they always have something going on when you need them to return the favor. I call this the "dump syndrome" and you'll see it from med school through residency. And sadly it doesn't change out in practice either.

Wait till your classmate is trying to give you a list of 'to dos' at checkout that should have been done during the day (like to update the family). Or the times you cover call for a classmate but they always have something going on when you need them to return the favor. I call this the "dump syndrome" and you'll see it from med school through residency. And sadly it doesn't change out in practice either.

Now there are serious reasons to be peeved at your classmates.

I think you are being harsh on the OP. Sounds to me like the things may be minor, however this is just about hygiene.
Do you really have to pick your toes in public? Where on earth does the debris go? These are the same people who want to shake your hand or something later.
Sneezing or coughing then passing the germs . . . no no no

Anyway, it seems quite minor to get worked up about it, but it would annoy me a little too. I know one girl who constantly chews with her mouth open - she only closes it to swallow. I find it quite uncomfortable to be with so I just stay away because you cannot control or change people's behaviours.

I also know of another person who will gladly dig for gold in pubic - no shame. Just avoid them. As a medic you will meet such people - your patients, if you haven't already done so. Most people have the worst manners - but it's life we are not all the same.

I think we can all agree that coralfangs is a toe-picker.

I never did like camel meat. Too tough.
Ok to leave after the second.
Not fun to watch and not fun to treat.

then we move on to....

Because it has the face of the King and it is illegal to deface anything with a portrait of the King.
Ok and encouraged.
My kid wasn't/isn't diapered either. You learn real quick when they need to go and they learn potty training real quick as well.

Am I too late for the globe-trotter circle jerk? I bet none of you know who "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" is...

Sloth from the movie "The Goonies"?

That's pretty sad indeed. How do people get this way :confused: