Another attire question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

houstoncfh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question is completely ridiculous.

As my name suggests, I've grown up in Texas, and am a little inexperienced when it comes to cold weather (at least in the context of looking professional).

I'll be interviewing at a number of NYC/New England programs in December. I also will not have a car, which means a fair amount of walking and use of public transit.

So, do people wear overcoats, gloves, etc to their interviews? Is there a place to put your coat? Do you wear it all day?

Or do you just tough it out while you walk to the subway/wait for the bus and then warm up once you're inside?

Members don't see this ad.

So, do people wear overcoats, gloves, etc to their interviews? Is there a place to put your coat? Do you wear it all day?

Or do you just tough it out while you walk to the subway/wait for the bus and then warm up once you're inside?

Yep, absolutely wear a coat, scarf, and gloves if it will be cold. Generally, there will be a place to hang coats. And no, you don't wear it all day.

I wouldn't recommend "toughing it out." You'll be, at best, very cold. At worst, it may be sleeting/raining/snowing, and you'll show up with your suit all wet. The "wet cat" look isn't really the best look to be showing off at your interviews. ;)

Yep, absolutely wear a coat, scarf, and gloves if it will be cold. Generally, there will be a place to hang coats. And no, you don't wear it all day.

I wouldn't recommend "toughing it out." You'll be, at best, very cold. At worst, it may be sleeting/raining/snowing, and you'll show up with your suit all wet. The "wet cat" look isn't really the best look to be showing off at your interviews. ;)

That's another good reminder - Always bring an umbrella; at least with you on trips, if not to the interview day.

I don't know if you are male or female.

An overcoat can be purchased that looks like this:
http://www.mensusa.com/productimage1.aspx?id=1932
(note I do not endorse this company or style... just a picture from google images of an overcoat). If you are male, get it a little large so that there is room for your suit.

If you are wearing a coat, try to avoid a black coat as sludge or salt can leave a stain impervious to even the temerity of the craziest dry cleaner or solvent (it can probably be done... but it's annoying to get a coat nailed with salt sludge).

There can be a drastic temperature difference from Texas depending on where you go. Like if you interview at somewhere like UMich in December, then the cremaster will take on a whole new meaning (which is a polite way for saying something else).

Like if you interview at somewhere like UMich in December, then the cremaster will take on a whole new meaning (which is a polite way for saying something else.
I would say the dartos is also involved.