another CV question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading about the authorship/acknowledgment questions, I was reminded of a similar question:

In addition to the regular papers/abstracts/chapters, I have several potential bullet points I would like to convey on my CV (esp. for residency apps this year), but I don't know how. These include: (1) Media press releases and interviews; (2) Industrial spotlights (i.e., being featured on some business' brochure/calendar; and (3) making the cover of several journals (related to my hopefully future medical field).

Should I just rein in my ego and let these pass, of have a new section (e.g. "Misc.").

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks -

Members don't see this ad.

Miscellaneous Professional Experiences/Accomplishments?

Making cover a journal you can note in your citation. The other stuff you can write briefly (and tastefully) in your essay to demonstrate a commitment to "translating" the research to more practical ways to help patients. It's all about the way you say it.

After reading about the authorship/acknowledgment questions, I was reminded of a similar question:

In addition to the regular papers/abstracts/chapters, I have several potential bullet points I would like to convey on my CV (esp. for residency apps this year), but I don't know how. These include: (1) Media press releases and interviews; (2) Industrial spotlights (i.e., being featured on some business' brochure/calendar; and (3) making the cover of several journals (related to my hopefully future medical field).

Should I just rein in my ego and let these pass, of have a new section (e.g. "Misc.").

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks -

For a full CV typically there is a section for "service to the community", which basically includes anything that is non-academic-- community awards, citations in the lay media, etc.

Can't say I've ever seen a press release mentioned on a CV. Anyone can issue a press release.

Not sure what you mean by "making the cover". If by that you mean one of your papers was the "lead article", then I generally see those mentioned next to the article.