• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

another CV question

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
    After reading about the authorship/acknowledgment questions, I was reminded of a similar question:

In addition to the regular papers/abstracts/chapters, I have several potential bullet points I would like to convey on my CV (esp. for residency apps this year), but I don't know how. These include: (1) Media press releases and interviews; (2) Industrial spotlights (i.e., being featured on some business' brochure/calendar; and (3) making the cover of several journals (related to my hopefully future medical field).

Should I just rein in my ego and let these pass, of have a new section (e.g. "Misc.").

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks -

dl2dp2

15+ Year Member
    Jan 5, 2002
    1. Attending Physician
      Making cover a journal you can note in your citation. The other stuff you can write briefly (and tastefully) in your essay to demonstrate a commitment to "translating" the research to more practical ways to help patients. It's all about the way you say it.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 16, 2002
      Boston
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        After reading about the authorship/acknowledgment questions, I was reminded of a similar question:

In addition to the regular papers/abstracts/chapters, I have several potential bullet points I would like to convey on my CV (esp. for residency apps this year), but I don't know how. These include: (1) Media press releases and interviews; (2) Industrial spotlights (i.e., being featured on some business' brochure/calendar; and (3) making the cover of several journals (related to my hopefully future medical field).

Should I just rein in my ego and let these pass, of have a new section (e.g. "Misc.").

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks -

For a full CV typically there is a section for "service to the community", which basically includes anything that is non-academic-- community awards, citations in the lay media, etc.

Can't say I've ever seen a press release mentioned on a CV. Anyone can issue a press release.

Not sure what you mean by "making the cover". If by that you mean one of your papers was the "lead article", then I generally see those mentioned next to the article.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.