another CV question

Started by JETER
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After reading about the authorship/acknowledgment questions, I was reminded of a similar question:

In addition to the regular papers/abstracts/chapters, I have several potential bullet points I would like to convey on my CV (esp. for residency apps this year), but I don't know how. These include: (1) Media press releases and interviews; (2) Industrial spotlights (i.e., being featured on some business' brochure/calendar; and (3) making the cover of several journals (related to my hopefully future medical field).

Should I just rein in my ego and let these pass, of have a new section (e.g. "Misc.").

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks -
 
Making cover a journal you can note in your citation. The other stuff you can write briefly (and tastefully) in your essay to demonstrate a commitment to "translating" the research to more practical ways to help patients. It's all about the way you say it.
 
After reading about the authorship/acknowledgment questions, I was reminded of a similar question:

In addition to the regular papers/abstracts/chapters, I have several potential bullet points I would like to convey on my CV (esp. for residency apps this year), but I don't know how. These include: (1) Media press releases and interviews; (2) Industrial spotlights (i.e., being featured on some business' brochure/calendar; and (3) making the cover of several journals (related to my hopefully future medical field).

Should I just rein in my ego and let these pass, of have a new section (e.g. "Misc.").

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks -

For a full CV typically there is a section for "service to the community", which basically includes anything that is non-academic-- community awards, citations in the lay media, etc.

Can't say I've ever seen a press release mentioned on a CV. Anyone can issue a press release.

Not sure what you mean by "making the cover". If by that you mean one of your papers was the "lead article", then I generally see those mentioned next to the article.